Thredbo New All Mountain Trail

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
Might be a stupid question.... do the trails and lift at Thredbo run in the rain? Here in SE QLD riding in wet conditions is frowned upon to prevent trail damage. Cheers!

Iainm

Likes Dirt
I had a chat with one of the trail builders. They had an issue with a late snow melt this year so they spent longer finishing the AM track and new upper section of the flow track.

The plan is to have another section at the point where you say, but it won't be done until next year I was told. Looks like it would be a nice section though, in the forest and should have a fair bit of altitude to work with.
Just back from Thredbo yesterday (rode the AM trail on friday) and that new section is open - still a bit soft and fresh so I'm guessing fairly recently. There's a fairly tight steep right hand berm near the top that might still have my face print on it :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Thinking of taking my 12year down to Thredbo for his birthday is the All Mountain track really hard or can it be ridden by less experienced riders at slower pace. Don’t care how long it takes to get down just want give him different experience from Stromlo.
Thoughts?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thinking of taking my 12year down to Thredbo for his birthday is the All Mountain track really hard or can it be ridden by less experienced riders at slower pace. Don’t care how long it takes to get down just want give him different experience from Stromlo.
Thoughts?
I reckon it's like the rocky bits of stromolo's pork barrell the majority of the 8kms.. It is really well built and you can roll everything but it's a bit techy and you need to pick the right line..
I saw all sorts of people on pretty ordinary bikes, most of them were walking the hard bits. Definitely not a super steep trail where you have to fully commit.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
I reckon it's like the rocky bits of stromolo's pork barrell the majority of the 8kms.. It is really well built and you can roll everything but it's a bit techy and you need to pick the right line..
I saw all sorts of people on pretty ordinary bikes, most of them were walking the hard bits. Definitely not a super steep trail where you have to fully commit.
Thanks, should have asked for a comparison before is the track more like Pork Barrel or Slick Rock at Stromlo?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks, should have asked for a comparison before is the track more like Pork Barrel or Slick Rock at Stromlo?
Haven't riden slick rock so I can't compare sorry..
Best description is there is more rock than dirt for the first half.
The chairlift ride is cool.