Thredbo thoughts

mxh

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know what the plans are re mountain biking at Thredbo? It seems to me that with all of these new locations opening up, Thredbo is going to have to up it's game if it wants to keep the crowds coming.

The last time I was down there, they'd rerouted parts of the downhill and flow trails to miminize the effect on the pistes, removed the "new" jumps that were under the lift and there's hardly any A & B lines or features. And is 3 (lift assisted) trails really all they can offer? Doesn't really seem like they're trying that much, but just relying on the attraction of a chairlift.

Thoughts anyone?

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I completely agree that they will need to step up their trail game something serious. I absolutely love riding there, not just the trails, but the whole experience. Been perhaps 12 times in the last 3 years (1400km return trip).
BUT... I suspect that their biggest hurdle is that the whole joint is a National Park, reliant upon pen pushers, anti-mtb'ers and the like calling the shots.

I seriously hope they do up their game. I just have my doubts is all.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I've ridden there for the first time recently.... and TBH it was very underwhelming.
It lacks (with exception of the AM trail) any real variety of trail features with any soul, was really badly rutted and had an unrideable amount of braking bumps.

Its as 11 hr round trip for me..... with over priced accommodation, beer, food and coffee. Its cheaper, more enjoyable, faster to travel to and with more variety of trails to fly to Tassie and ride there.

There just isn't enough variety to keep me interested for more than a couple of days

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I suspect that their biggest hurdle is that the whole joint is a National Park, reliant upon pen pushers, anti-mtb'ers and the like calling the shots.
Absolutely correct. the NPWS protects their "crown jewel" fiercely. I've had dealings in the past that you wouldn't believe. As an example when they were putting in the new all mountain trail connection they had to have a NPWS rep there watching everything they do. He would literally just watch the whole time, wouldn't lift a shovel and god forbid they touch an endangered rock!!!!!

But I was chatting to one of the Thredbo guys I know pretty well. They have permission for 5 new trails over the next 5 years. This doesn't mean it will happen but they have the planning ok. Rest assured the Thredbo crew would have trails all over the place if they were allowed. I really hope the new trails come off, especially an a-line style trail. That would be sick!!!

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode the all mountain trail recently and it was a good track but tbh nothing that you can't get in any other alpine park. Being from Vic I wouldn't bother going again, buller, lake mountain and falls are closer, have the same sort of trails but a huge variety of other mtb parks (xc/trail) within 30-60mins drive.

In regards to Thredbo, dunno if I am wrong, but from the chair lift the flow trail looked a lot less techy/rocky/harder than the all mountain trail?
Having said that Jindabyne has some cracking flowy xc trails that make the visit a bit more varied..

Last edited:

padams10003

Likes Dirt
I rode the all mountain trail recently and it was a good track but tbh nothing that you can't get in any other alpine park. Being from Vic I wouldn't bother going again, buller, lake mountain and falls are closer, have the same sort of trails but a huge variety of other mtb parks (xc/trail) within 30-60mins drive.

In regards to Thredbo, dunno if I am wrong, but from the chair lift the flow trail looked a lot less techy/rocky/harder than the all mountain trail?
Having said that Jindabyne has some cracking flowy xc trails that make the visit a bit more varied..
The all mtn trail is definitely more technical than the flow trail. There are plenty of rocky bits that can easily catch you out on the all mtn, but not really much at all on the flow (except for the fire road at the start if you go down it).

mxh

Likes Dirt
Absolutely correct. the NPWS protects their "crown jewel" fiercely
Do the NPWS get an income from Thredbo - land rental, share of the chairlift, park entry fees etc etc? If they do, then wouldn't it be in their interests to ensure that it continues to attract paying customers?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Do the NPWS get an income from Thredbo - land rental, share of the chairlift, park entry fees etc etc? If they do, then wouldn't it be in their interests to ensure that it continues to attract paying customers?
Only if they have a profit motive.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My last two trips to Thredbo have left me wanting, I'll even go as far to say I won't go back until there is substantially more trail development!

I do like the additions to the AM and Flow trails, however I still think that only 3 trails lacks variety as it does get a bit repetitive - because at the end of the day the trail is the same as the trip before, and the trip before etc.

I think I'll save my pennies and head to Maydena or Queenstown before I head back to Thredbo!

mxh

Likes Dirt
I was there a few weeks ago and was impressed that they'd made a few changes to the AM and flow tracks that were positive. However, I suppose the fact that I was impressed by such a minimal amount of change / improvement just sums up the low expectations that I have.

It's certainly not going to be my number 1 destination any time soon. Time to visit some more progressive places.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was there a few weeks ago and was impressed that they'd made a few changes to the AM and flow tracks that were positive. However, I suppose the fact that I was impressed by such a minimal amount of change / improvement just sums up the low expectations that I have.

It's certainly not going to be my number 1 destination any time soon. Time to visit some more progressive places.
Agreed, I did rate the trail leading into the Flow and AM across the ridge, but the remainder was same-same. And tamed down if anything.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Thoughts in no particular order

I do quite like the trails. The flow trail is fast, not much else faster anywhere. AM is also great especially when the top link is open. It’s also a real challenge to ride fast (from both a technical and fitness perspective)

I find the DH hard but with practicing for the SuperEnduro I started to find a line and some flow. Again fitness is a challenge when getting a move on

While some of the recent alterations are cool I also wish they hadn’t dumbed down the trails quite as much as they have.

Be interesting to know what the 5 extra trails will be?

If you haven’t ridden the valley trail it’s definitely worth more than just a bit of a look. It’s pretty stunning what they have done there and now it’s heading all the way to Jindabyne that’s going to be pretty amazing.

We will do one more weekend at least this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you haven’t ridden the valley trail it’s definitely worth more than just a bit of a look. It’s pretty stunning what they have done there and now it’s heading all the way to Jindabyne that’s going to be pretty amazing.
Did a lap last trip, was pretty good! We left it too late to leave Thredbo and missed the free shuttle back...whoops! Next time I'd give it a few hours and stop for a swim in the river halfway!

jasonmc44

Cannon Fodder
Was there Tues-Thurs. Tracks were fine and nice and grippy. 13 and sunny is perfect. There is a bit of a detour around part of the AM track but other than that it was great. New section of the flow track was cool.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Yeah ended up going on Saturday. It was perfect weather, and tracks were in decent condition. First time riding the top section of AM - that was probably one of my favourite parts, and the forest section of AM.

Was my first ride in 10 weeks, so was a bit under-prepared, and had too much air in the fork, so shot my hands to bits in the first couple of runs before dropping it down.

Anyway, I think one trip a year is fine for Thredbo. I'll need to make more trips to Vic and Tas now!

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
So that’s a wrap

Thredbo mtb season is over. We were there for the first day and the last along with quite a few in between.

Quite a lot of work has been done on the trails since the Super Enduro weekend

Big new section into the bottom of the Kosi lift. Lots and lots of steep tight berms. Well constructed and flowy but intermediates will find them pretty challenging. Both the Cannonball and flow trail were feeding into it but surely that’s just temporary and there is a different final plan.

Big plant machinery was operating were the old flow trail final berms used to be.

All mountain between Merrits and the track crossing was closed. Not sure why but lots of work has been going on further down with more of those big tight berms.

Final descent to Friday flat has been reworked. Gone is the big zig zag of nadggery off camber corners to be replaced with a pump section intro and nicely worked berms.

I’m looking forward to riding single track all the way from the top lift to Lake Jindabyne next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kooga

Likes Bikes
Quick question. I know all the downhill runs are shut but does the thredbo valley trail close to bikes over winter as well? Is there still good rides around jindy ect to keep us busy through winter

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Following. We are taking the bikes down this weekend as snow conditions are likely to be marginal. Keen to explore the new bit of trail below Crackenback

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
How does Thredbo compare to the Vic alpine resorts, eg Buller and Falls Creek? I'm thinking about my leave over the summer and would like to spend 2 weeks with my roadie and enduro somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk