Thredbo vs the rest family holiday options

JOSHY7

Likes Bikes
Been going to Thredbo for the last 10years over summer, Is it the best bet for a fun family holiday with some mtn biking.
Kids like shuttles and chairlifts - cant blame em.

Just had a look at Tassie but fck me for the price its gona cost me over summer doesn't seem too appealing, Im in Vic so getting there that time of year is Pretty steep.
car/trailer/5 bikes.

What are the other options?

Only downside to Thredbo is theres really only 3 trails and the Cannonball is too much for the kids at the moment.

clockworked

Like an orange
Bright has shuttles, is a pretty location and has a public water park that young kids like. Way more riding than thredbo too. I think its the best family riding destination I've been to in australia
It's worth double checking the price of a trip to queenstown, NZ too. Pinewood is a good place to stay on a budget

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bright has shuttles, is a pretty location and has a public water park that young kids like. Way more riding than thredbo too. I think its the best family riding destination I've been to in australia
It's worth double checking the price of a trip to queenstown, NZ too. Pinewood is a good place to stay on a budget
Plus Bright is only a short drive to Falls Creek for a bit more variety too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We have went to Tassie for the past 2 Summer hols, drove from Adelaide, caught the ferry with a fully loaded 4wd and caravan with 4 bikes.

Both times we were doing a bit of touring with 12 days spent at Derby on the last visit.

We are booked in to Derby for 16 nights this year with 3 in Maydena, it was nearly as cost effective to book air BnB's. The cost of taking the 2.5t van and towing it to Tassie was an extra $1500 on the boat + fuel, which could be in excess of an extra $500-700 pulling the van.

We booked 8 days in Derby, 3 days in Maydena and 8 days in Derby again for $3100 Air BnB, the boat was still $1550 for the car + bike rack. We have still 2 days in Launceston to book to ride the Mersey trails but I'll look at that closer to the time.

The big issue with Derby is the free camping, you get people taking up the space of 4 full sized vans with 2 tents and 2 cars and with the attitude of 'we have came here for 20 yrs before you MTBers'... I didn't care, but my missus was stressed about how she would go to the toilet at night... us boys just piss against a tree. There is no guarantee you will get a camp spot at Derby and how close to the toilets and showers.

Next year... maybe, we will head to Thredbo or similar, maybe o_O

EDIT: This all good when you are visiting Derby/Maydena specifically, if you are doing the tourist thing, take the camper.

Last edited:

JOSHY7

Likes Bikes
Thanks for all the info and recommendations I think we’ll do a Thredbo trip over Xmas again and might squeeze in a few days in bright November/December we’ve been there before and enjoyed it.
We were lucky enough to spend some time at Les Ores bike park in France last month so it’s all a little underwealming in comparison