Titanium handlebars.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Are they worth the extra double (or more!) than standard bars?

Anyone have any experience with them?

Jpez

Down on the left!
I think kingdom are working on a riser bar for 35mm stem. Also raising the rise-25mm- which apparently was an issue as Ti bar’s always seemed to be fairly flat.
but no experience with them sorry

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Very short experience with a set of Ti bars on another person's bike. I would say no. Vibration same or more than ali and as above too flat.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Very short experience with a set of Ti bars on another person's bike. I would say no. Vibration same or more than ali and as above too flat.
Therein lies the problem. Oils ain’t oils so to speak. You can make Ti super light and flexy, or the same weight as alloy but stiff/stong as buggery.

Any review around for the bars you are looking at?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
no not worth it, felt tinny yo me and seemed to pass along vibrations, Ti seatpost did nothing for me either, go vibratory [vibrocire]] or carbon—though that seems like a dirty word around here for bars/cranks, carbon has been terrific for me, even the cheap stuff on gravel bike - forgot we gave away some Ti bars as SS prizes, 1 guy told me they felt springy..doesn’t sound good

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Yes, yes they are. @Labcanary any info on those bars? Frame too for that matter.
Yep, on the husband's bike. I asked him and he can't tell any difference after one ride.
Frame and bars are both Roost. He got the bars as ex-demo stock so they were a bit cheaper.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Why? Ti is very strong and very light. Theoretically you could make bars much lighter than aluminium by making them thinner. Still as strong or stronger but deflection is independent of material strength and only dependent on section size so if it is thinner it will flex more. If the thickness is the same as aluminium the flex will be the same and the bars still lighter but material properties are such that it transmits more vibration. This I am guessing since I dont have solid data just my observations but it is possible due to the stronger material properties. My Muru Ti frame is very light and thin and it is flexy. Tightening the BB was scary first time.

I like carbon bars because they are a little lighter but the composite structure absorbs vibration.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
From what I've seen so far, the titanium bars I've found are in the same weight range as aluminium bars.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Bars are a poor application for Ti as others have mentioned.
The damping qualities of Ti lie in its springiness which is uncontrolled (except for complex butting) and so they will flex in a bad way under cornering, landings or used as climbing leverage.
Quality carbon (Quality controlled for strength, not weight weenie - that's a different product) is FAR FAR superior for a bar, offering tuneable damping and strength.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I quite like my Spank Oozy aloominum bars with the foam fill in them to damp vibrations.

I have had carbon bars that were very nice and were probably fine after a big crash, but i never quite trusted them after that.