Titanium Hardtail

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a question to see if anyone has taken the plunge and ordered an inexpensive titanium MTB frame from China?

Lots of info on Chinese carbon, but not so much on titanium

Last edited:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Changed tack, think I'll buy a frame off one of the usual suspects

Any suggestions that I haven't thought of?

Frame specs

- XCish geometry

- 29er

- threaded bottom bracket

- interchangable drop outs

- tapered head tube

- NOT a 27.2 seat tube

So far this is the list that meets these specs:-

- Salsa Timberwolf Ti (HA probably a bit slack)

- Kona Raijin Ti

- Carver 420 Ti

Carver is probably the best value for money

Any other suggestions?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Is the drop out for SS? Thats a lot of money you could put towards blingy Ti seatpost, bars etc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the drop out for SS? Thats a lot of money you could put towards blingy Ti seatpost, bars etc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Yep

Thought if I was going to spend the coin, I'd get a frame that can do SS and geared, to future proof it somewhat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I have one of these from China.

http://www.waltlytitanium.com

Worth investigating.... shoot them an email. They will build you anything... custom geometry.

I've owned mine for nearly 3 years and had no problems at all. It's awesome!

Mark
Interesting, I haven't heard of these before. Would you mind letting me know the price? Happy to receive PM if you don't want to post it publicly.

I have been thinking about a custom Ti hardtail for a while. I would love a Baum from Melbourne, but I'm not sure I could afford one without taking out a mortgage on my kidney.

I'm also looking for:
29er
XC geometry but happy with slackish head angle <70°
Threaded bottom bracket
Internal cable routing
Not sure about spacing, not keen to commit to Boost and limit compatibility with my current DT 240 wheels

Most of the Ti frames I have been looking at have been custom hand made extravagant stuff. Keen to follow this thread for some more reasonably priced options.

shep77

Likes Bikes
Interesting, I haven't heard of these before. Would you mind letting me know the price? Happy to receive PM if you don't want to post it publicly.

I have been thinking about a custom Ti hardtail for a while. I would love a Baum from Melbourne, but I'm not sure I could afford one without taking out a mortgage on my kidney.

I'm also looking for:
29er
XC geometry but happy with slackish head angle <70°
Threaded bottom bracket
Internal cable routing
Not sure about spacing, not keen to commit to Boost and limit compatibility with my current DT 240 wheels

Most of the Ti frames I have been looking at have been custom hand made extravagant stuff. Keen to follow this thread for some more reasonably priced options.
Best email Walty direct. They are suprisingly good value. Like very...

tojo

Likes Bikes
every bike is a single speed if you don't change gears. I rode my titanium hardtail (rigid) on a 3 hr mtb race without changing gears at all. I rode my other titanium hardtail on a 120km ride without changing gears at all. It is a lot easier and a lot cheaper than having replaceable drop outs and converting the bike. I often change gears but i also sometimes ride in one gear for the length of a ride.

Some other manufacturers worth checking out are Triton Cycles from russia and Kingdom cycles. But honestly it will be hard to beat a Lynskey from CRC for price.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
had a friend & his partner both buy Ti hard tails -he rides hard-ish she doesn't, both developed cracks at the weld joints…Ti is great cos its light but steel is easier to repair, easier to weld & builders have much more experience with it

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
had a friend & his partner both buy Ti hard tails -he rides hard-ish she doesn't, both developed cracks at the weld joints…Ti is great cos its light but steel is easier to repair, easier to weld & builders have much more experience with it
Do you know what brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk