Tool assistance

stirk

Burner
I don't think it's such a stupid name, it's a clue!!! Looks to me like an allen key would fit in there nicely, have you tried? I think some old, hollow freewheel bolts had a similar "12 hex".
I reckon it will too, but I'd not put much force on it using a single hex key!

I have a set in Kingchrome, they are sized in M6 & M8 and so on. Bunnings sell them. I always thought they were called multi spline drives.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-23-piece-hex-spline-drive-socket-set_p6122315
fuck me another name for this thing! Looks promising though.

nzdans

Likes Dirt
Don't believe me then! Seriously I have put a 10mm allen key in a vice and used the wheel for leverage with massive effort to get one of the below bolts undone when trying to remove a freewheel before, the only tool was an allen key.

2551-6500-full-3cz_9804-14.jpg

Flow-Rider

Burner

fuck me another name for this thing! Looks promising though.
Try and work in 3 different states of Australia, gives me the shits big time.

This tool is a shifter, shifting spanner, monkey wrench or a crescent spanner and what's worse is that a monkey wrench can be known as another tool also.:tsk:

spanner.JPG

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious

This tool is a shifter, shifting spanner, monkey wrench or a crescent spanner and what's worse is that a monkey wrench can be known as another tool also.:tsk:

View attachment 319162
I used to work with a Scottish bloke once, until he asked me to pick up his ding dong and hand it to him?
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=ding+dong+hacksaw&biw=1600&bih=714&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI26DAn4uIyAIV0KWICh3uJwlm

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't believe me then! Seriously I have put a 10mm allen key in a vice and used the wheel for leverage with massive effort to get one of the below bolts undone when trying to remove a freewheel before, the only tool was an allen key.

View attachment 319163
Goddamn you're coming up with some good posts. That's a perfect example of a 12 point hex commonly seen in cycling that takes great force with an Allen key. Have done it countless times (on both 10 and 14mm) and used great force without incident, but never thought about it in this context.

Get in there Stirk and wrench the crap out of it.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

View attachment 319162

My grandfather would scald me for using an adjustable spanner on anything valuable, torqued up high or guaranteed to cause trouble.

stirk

Burner
Well now you've said it with more conviction I'm a little more convinced but still cautious, I've never seen these types of bolt heads.

nzdans

Likes Dirt

View attachment 319162
Also known as a nut fucker...

Well now you've said it with more conviction I'm a little more convinced but still cautious, I've never seen these types of bolt heads.
Conviction, yeah.. could call it that.

Make sure you have a well fitting key and you should be fine. If your hardware is aluminium (bit hard to tell from the pic, being a Kona possibly not, if it was a Giant, yeah probably) maybe don't put as much leverage on it as I did the freewheel bolts back in the day. There may be Loctite in there and heat can soften Loctite (and deal with other seizing issues e.g. oxidisation) so the hair dryer/heat gun can be useful..

Looking forward to the "rounded bolt" thread :hungry:

stirk

Burner
Also known as a nut fucker...

Conviction, yeah.. could call it that.

Make sure you have a well fitting key and you should be fine. If your hardware is aluminium (bit hard to tell from the pic, being a Kona possibly not, if it was a Giant, yeah probably) maybe don't put as much leverage on it as I did the freewheel bolts back in the day. There may be Loctite in there and heat can soften Loctite (and deal with other seizing issues e.g. oxidisation) so the hair dryer/heat gun can be useful..

Looking forward to the "rounded bolt" thread :hungry:
You evil bastard!

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
The freehub body bolt does indeed use an Allen key. It has the 12 point shape so that the ID is larger than with a 6 sided hex, therefore allowing the axle through. I'm guessing that a pivot axle passes through your 12 sided fitting with minimal clearance? The amount of torque required to remove some freehubs and freewheels is huge, never seen one of those bolts damaged. Use the Allen key, unless the thing is aluminium.

- Joel

stirk

Burner
Hi Joel, no Axel through the pivot. Seems a hex will work. Bloody kona marketing blurb says 12 point hex to reduce interface wear. Unless you are doing it wrong you won't wear a hex interface.

IMG_20150922_071609.jpg

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had so many problems with tool interface wear. I'm gonna chuck all my allen keys and replace every single bolt on my bike with 12 point hex fittings, that'll solve it.

stirk

Burner
I've had so many problems with tool interface wear. I'm gonna chuck all my allen keys and replace every single bolt on my bike with 12 point hex fittings, that'll solve it.
I know it's just shocking the amount of wear on my normal hex bolts in just 12 months.

Please make sure you tell me where to buy the 12 point hex keys!