Tool for barb insertion for Shimao hydraulic brakes

JEBBS

Likes Dirt
Hi
I have seen only one tool in a bike shop for the correct insertion of the hose barb into Deore/XT and XTR hydraulic lines.

Does anyone know where i can get one of these, hammer is not always the best option :)

Thanks for looking!

John U

MTB Precision
Jagwire have a tool for this. Not sure if it's brake brand specific but I used it on my Formulas and it worked a treat. Was about 30 bucks. Turned a prick of a job into an easy job. Worth buying.

JEBBS

Likes Dirt
Hose barb

Thanks folks, to all the colourful answers

Bear to Bear, do you know if this is brand specific?
Given standardisation in the bike game is non existant

bear the bear

Is a real bear

Will work on any brand. Grip is adjustable, and driver point is tapered....

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's so hard about the yellow hose grip block thing in a vice with a light tap of the hammer?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I really struggled with mine. THen I found a random screw thread and used that. It worked great and not leaking. Not sure why they moved away from the threaded ones - they were much better. Probably cost saving.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's so hard about the yellow hose grip block thing in a vice with a light tap of the hammer?
Absolutely ^^, this is what I do also. 'But' if young mate doesn't have a vice - you can use a pair of multi-grips as your vice, rest the edge steady on your bench an gently tap in your barb. Sounds rough, but it works all the same.:madgrin:

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
That is the one I was talking about. The tip can be flipped to cater for screw in barbs (apparently what Avid use but I have no experience with Avid).

Right tool for the job, which I was prepared to pay for to save having brake fluid flicking around all over the shop.

For some reason, it appears to be 40 degrees in my shed whenever I do this job. Makes it 10 times harder when you're sweating like a pig.

Last edited:

Flint

Likes Dirt
One thing to note. The hose barbs are different sizes for different years. For example I wanted to shorten my 2012 XT brake line and bought a 2013 kit, no frikken way was that barb going in. Went back to the shop with a "what gives?" and they managed to find me some 2012 ones which were much smaller and went in with 3 or 4 gentle taps of the back of a pair of pliers.

Cheers

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I found the Jagwire barbs went into their lines by hand, if not I was going to use the yellow Shimano blocks that came with some lines I bought earlier. One of these.... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-...749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item487314c2d5

Just clamped it in with multi grip as I don't have a vice, and rubber mallet to pop the barb in and all was good.

I'd say, the LBS would possibly have a few of the blocks lying around if you ask nicely....

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The barb I inserted today was tighter than one I did a few weeks ago. After cutting the hose, get a 2mm drill bit to ensure the hole is opened up, clamp about 10mm below the end of the hose and tap in with a plastic hammer. If you place the yellow blocks right at the end, it doesn't allow the hose to expand and makes the barb harder to knock in.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Can't beat teeth, for hands free convince :thumb:

*Don't use teeth for DOT systems*

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

I have one of these Jagwire babies in my workshop; it's a universal fit, even including a tiny Torx driver for older Avids with screw-in barbs.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Could probably arrange something, but the only one I currently have is my workshop one. Probably just as quick for your LBS to get one for you.