Top or bottom pull derailleur?

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Hi All,
I'm considering purchasing an On One Inbred frame and swapping all my part over from my old hardtail. Question is, how do I know what derailleur is needed to suit the frame, or does it not matter?
There's no mention of the suitable derailleur type in the frame specs.
I'm planning on taking parts off a 2003 Specialized Hardrock, if that matters.
Cheers,
Mark

moorey

call me Mia
Hi All,
I'm considering purchasing an On One Inbred frame and swapping all my part over from my old hardtail. Question is, how do I know what derailleur is needed to suit the frame, or does it not matter?
There's no mention of the suitable derailleur type in the frame specs.
I'm planning on taking parts off a 2003 Specialized Hardrock, if that matters.
Cheers,
Mark
Can you see cable tabs on the frame? its MOST likely to be top pull, but, I have to ask, why bother? Run it as a 1x with a 11-36 rear. more betterer:love:

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
Looking at the frame on the On One site... it's a top pull. Cable routes across the top tube and down the seat tube to pull the derailleur from the top.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
thanks for the advice guys, most appreciated.

Running a 1 x 11-36 would be nice but it'd require new bits to be purchased.

As it is, I believe my current derailleur is a bottom pull unit so I'll have to buy a new one anyway.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Any way of telling if a derailleur can be set up as either a top pull or bottom pull unit?
Believe I've got an Shimano Alivio derailleur on the front. Any idea if that will work?

moorey

call me Mia
Any way of telling if a derailleur can be set up as either a top pull or bottom pull unit?
Believe I've got an Shimano Alivio derailleur on the front. Any idea if that will work?
Alivio I couldn't say. Used xt in the past, and some had capacity to loop cable over the top and pull from below, or pull from above. Google the model number. Otherwise, $15-20 will get you a good sh one on here or $13 for a top/bottom on CRC. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=6074
An xt will cost more like $30.
Check if you need it to be top swing or not (your frame might require mounting on a particular point, and that will dictate this. Top swing mounts lower..don't confuse this with top PULL)
Splash out a bit more for free postage from uk. Sorted.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Alivio I couldn't say. Used xt in the past, and some had capacity to loop cable over the top and pull from below, or pull from above. Google the model number. Otherwise, $15-20 will get you a good sh one on here or $13 for a top/bottom on CRC. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=6074
An xt will cost more like $30.
Check if you need it to be top swing or not (your frame might require mounting on a particular point, and that will dictate this. Top swing mounts lower..don't confuse this with top PULL)
Splash out a bit more for free postage from uk. Sorted.
This is getting complicated! Think I should send a query to On One asking for info on the derailleur specs that suit their frames. I know I'll be buying the wrong thing otherwise.

moorey

call me Mia
This is getting complicated! Think I should send a query to On One asking for info on the derailleur specs that suit their frames. I know I'll be buying the wrong thing otherwise.
Sorry about that. I over complicated it. Sounds like its a top pull, and in most cases, either a top or bottom swing is fine, particularly if seat tube is straight.
I'd wager your old one will work on it. Whack it on and see. If it fits, but is shagged, at least you'll know what you need.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt

Sorry about that. I over complicated it. Sounds like its a top pull, and in most cases, either a top or bottom swing is fine, particularly if seat tube is straight.
I'd wager your old one will work on it. Whack it on and see. If it fits, but is shagged, at least you'll know what you need.
Top or bottom swing will be fine, it's a straight seat tube. Top Pull definintely, and like 34.9 diameter, but you might want to measure that to be sure. Most new Shimano FDs come shimmed to a smaller diameter, which means they will suit both. Again most new Shimano FDs are dual pull, meaning they can be either top or bottom.

Of these FDs I'd imagine the '31.8/34.9mm 38-44t Dual Pull -Silver' will suit you fine (if you're looking for a 2x FD, for 3x10 go here).

Points to remember are:

1. Top Pull. This is definite, the cable guides on the frame don't allow for a bottom pull. Dual pull will be fine.

2. Measure the outside seat tube diameter on your frame and get that sized FD. If the seat tube is too big, you won't be able to mount it. 34.9mm is very standard for MTBs

3. Match it to the same shifter (2x, 3x) - some shifters can do both.

4. In most cases, match it to the same setup for the rear end (7,8,9, or 10 speed). This is for chain-width/line purposes.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Guys, thanks for all the great advice. Its certainly clarified the different derailleur types and appropriate selection for me.
Now I just need to find a 3x8 front derailleur to suit, if my current derailleur cant be made to work.
Cheers,
Mark

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Can you post a pic of your current derailleur? (Especially the back of it, where the cable attaches). The collective brains here will soon be able to tell if it's compatible or not. :smile:

rone

Eats Squid
Can anyone tell, based upon these photos?

Cheers
Mark
It appears to be some kind of derailleur-shaped dirt. And bottom pull, so it won't fit.

On-One Inbreds require a high-clamp top-pull bottom-swing FD such as this one:
bottom swing.jpg
for best operation. I am building the same and this is what I have used.

Last edited:

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
It seems to be some kind of derailleur-shaped dirt.
Yes indeed it is!
I'll be hitting it with the degreaser and soapy water tonight. Then it should look brand spanking....or not!

Might just bite the bullet and buy a whole new drive train - bb, cranks, front & rear derailleur & cassette.

rone

Eats Squid
Yes indeed it is!
I'll be hitting it with the degreaser and soapy water tonight. Then it should look brand spanking....or not!

Might just bite the bullet and buy a whole new drive train - bb, cranks, front & rear derailleur & cassette.
Still won't fit - see edit above.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Nice edit! ;)

A new high clamp top pull bottom swing derailleur suitable to run 3 x 8 will be sourced.