Topless models for Total Rush shop re-launch?!?!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Notice, the customer they are quoting, a "Christine" makes no mention of actually been there - wouldn't be the first time that the outrage and indignation comes from people who weren't present, but like to get outraged and offended on behalf of others.

danncam

Likes Dirt
I am out of sync w the previous posters.

I was very glad to see so many girls and women doing the great Vic bike ride two weeks ago. I rode it with my 13 yr old daughter and her school. A primary school was there where the three grade 5s were all girls.
This sort of infantile machismo promotion style is a big back step for cycling promotion to the masses and younger people. I doubt it will encourage any females into the sport. Clever not neanderthal next time fellas.

Last edited:

jrewing

Eats Squid
I am out of sync w the previous posters.

I was very glad to see so many girls and women doing the great Vic bike ride two weeks ago. I rode it with my 13 yr old daughter and her school. A primary school was there where the three grade 5s were all girls.
This sort of infantile machismo promotion style is a big back step for cycling promotion to the masses and younger people. I doubt it will encourage any females into the sport. Clever not neanderthal next time fellas.
I hate my dick.. Every time it gets hard I wanna cut it off. Such a Neanderthal reaction

rone

Eats Squid
It was clever - we're all discussing it. They were targeting their primary market. Their primary market likes boobs.

danncam

Likes Dirt
It was clever - we're all discussing it. They were targeting their primary market. Their primary market likes boobs.
I think you are half right, half the market is blokes, and many women love breasts as well. Doesn't mean that using objectification in promoting cycling will make more people comfortable in your shop, asking questions in your shop, interacting with your staff and buying your products. It was a dumb move; more and more females are getting into cycling, which is awesome. AFL gets it, they try not to be sexist and AFL has a huge female following compared to almost another sport.

rone

Eats Squid
AFL gets it, they try not to be sexist and AFL has a huge female following compared to almost another sport.
There is a difference between spectating and participation.

I'm sure a few BUGs and militant commuters will boycott the shop, but to the rest it's a storm in a teacup.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I think this is a Total Rush of over reaction! Like what I did there.

Sure, they could have done it different but geez, would there be this kind of outrage if there were topless guys?
Total Rush should react with dropping all the female sponsored riders....let's face it, they are so Neanderthal.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of women :)

But seriously - what were they thinking? Why do women have to be naked to portray cycling?

If all the guys were bottomless with their dicks out, I am sure people would not be rushing into the store - I sure as hell wouldn't... just as women probably don't want to go there.

Just very very stupid. If they wanted to be around naked women they should have just finished off the opening, and then just gone to celebrate at a strip bar.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I was at the launch, my wife was at the launch. My wife rides for the women's TR team.
We saw the models in the body paint - hell I even got a photo with them.
I was not offended, my wife was not offended. The models were never leered it. Noone was forced into doing anything.
The models were a talking point, and then we looked at the new range of bikes and spoke to other friends at the launch.

When someone like Catherine Deveny starts ranting on stuff, you know its gotten out of hand.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of women :)

But seriously - what were they thinking? Why do women have to be naked to portray cycling?

If all the guys were bottomless with their dicks out, I am sure people would not be rushing into the store - I sure as hell wouldn't... just as women probably don't want to go there.

Just very very stupid. If they wanted to be around naked women they should have just finished off the opening, and then just gone to celebrate at a strip bar.
The models were topless, not naked. Huge difference there. Nothing you wouldn't see at the beach.