Totally Over Magpies

Flow-Rider

Burner
On the way to cruise along the Darebin trails and the other half and I got attacked by a nasty maggie. 7 or so attacks and a lot of pecks to the helmet / ears, chased us for a long way too.
Not sure if it's been mentioned but this site is handy.

https://www.magpiealert.com/

Jerks.
Haha Magpie alert is cool

What's the general consensus on when airborne attack season is over?
They can go as far as December from my experience, most of them should start to slow down before November.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Think I got one back today for mountain bikers, coming off the M7 at Norwest, I see this black and white bird fly just above my car and the flight pattern changed as if in panic. Weird I thought, then i heard and felt a loud thunk as it hit my mountain bike

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Think I got one back today for mountain bikers, coming off the 7 at Norwest, I see this black and white bird fly just above my car and the flight pattern changed as if in panic. Weird I thought, then i heard and felt a loud thunk as it hit my mountain bike
Hahah, karma at its best.

I rode the same section of bike path again the other day and a new sign was erected notifying that there was a dangerous bird around. I carefully rode through that section while looking behind me at the same time, just as I though everything was all clear he came from nowhere and thumped into my visor.

stirk

Burner
I lost my swooping 'virginity' this weekend! Three attack runs it did. The First attack I didn't register it really, then the second and third I knew what was going on. Checky fucker was squarking as well as beak snapping. I was riding on the road in the way back from trails so it probably mistook me for a roadie ;)

MARKL

Eats Squid
Hahah, karma at its best.

I rode the same section of bike path again the other day and a new sign was erected notifying that there was a dangerous bird around. I carefully rode through that section while looking behind me at the same time, just as I though everything was all clear he came from nowhere and thumped into my visor.
Hopefully I have done everyone a favour

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got got on the way down to daisy last weekend, warning then 2 strikes near the emp busway car park. Full tilt into the car park he kept coming, as he came in four the 4th go, I tested out the guides and my helmet. Thunk, flutter flutter, crash.
I left the scene, felt sorry for the old asian guy walking across the empty car park with a pissed off Magpie flying around

pointless

Likes Bikes
Anyone else got confused bastard magpies around? Just got swooped twice by one tonight, once on the way up and then on the way down. I reckon its swooped me every time i've ridden passed it this year.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Maybe this will have to go in the confessions thread ....

At my local trail I used to get swooped years ago . Back then I thought I`d try a different approach that works for me at home and around the neighbourhood and its worked ever since . I actually take the time to talk to them ( no , they have not answered back yet , I need different pills for that ) and feed them and they recognize me and leave me alone . If I`m sitting at the clearing waiting for people they`ll come down and see what I`ve got even letting their young get fed as well . Gee they squawk if you`re not quick enough to give them something ! Doing this I never get swooped anymore .

Anyway , I`ve told my riding buddies to do the same , as well as some roadie acquaintances , but I get the feeling they think I`m nuts - which is true I guess .

Flow-Rider

Burner
Anyone else got confused bastard magpies around? Just got swooped twice by one tonight, once on the way up and then on the way down. I reckon its swooped me every time i've ridden passed it this year.
You do get that every now and then. I had one attack me for about a week a month ago and never to be seen after that.

At my local trail I used to get swooped years ago . Back then I thought I`d try a different approach that works for me at home and around the neighbourhood and its worked ever since . I actually take the time to talk to them ( no , they have not answered back yet , I need different pills for that ) and feed them and they recognize me and leave me alone . If I`m sitting at the clearing waiting for people they`ll come down and see what I`ve got even letting their young get fed as well . Gee they squawk if you`re not quick enough to give them something ! Doing this I never get swooped anymore .

Anyway , I`ve told my riding buddies to do the same , as well as some roadie acquaintances , but I get the feeling they think I`m nuts - which is true I guess .
Yeah, they're ok when they're on the same side.

Muznik

Squid

I'm a big believer of this.

My young kids like to feed them out the front of our house & I have never been swooped over the past 3 yrs of regular morning road rides.

I reckon they even tell their mates to leave me alone !

Freediver

I can go full Karen
My Mum's got a family of them that she feeds nearly every day. Only enough to keep them coming back for more, not enough so that their natural hunting behaviour is curbed. She gives them about a tablespoon of minced beef or a bit of finely chopped whatever meat she's eating that day. She rolls the mince into a sausage that she freezes and just breaks a bit off the end.

Shinigami

Likes Dirt
I'm a big believer of this.

My young kids like to feed them out the front of our house & I have never been swooped over the past 3 yrs of regular morning road rides.

I reckon they even tell their mates to leave me alone !
so magpies are known to be able to communicate faces to other magpies, so they can carry on vendettas across multiple generations...

or leaving people alone i guess

Flow-Rider

Burner
You shouldn't really feed them, you all know this by now. Soft mince can actually get stuck in their beak and cause an infection.