Totally Over Magpies

akashra

Eats Squid
Seriously? Its one of the perils of native australian wildlife. Yes they are a bast@@d but it's only a few months of the year and you shoud be wearing a helmet anyway. I hate spiders s should the council clear all the webs across the tracks for me? Maybe we shoud organise a sign out the front of everyones door that says "it's dangerous out there" that should cover everyone.
I think this comment shows that you really don't know what they do.

Magpies don't go for helmets - they go for ears and eyes. Wearing a helmet does very little to stop their claws. But I'm guessing showing you some photos of people who have lost eyes as a result of magpie attacks, which happens, you'd probably still stand on your high horse. Fortunately I've only been on the end of one catching the lower part of my ear, which still pisses blood.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
:pirate: Harden up. Or move OS. Big deal if people loose eyes, sucks but big deal. What do you want, no stairs, hell people fall down stairs. I'm joining the flat earth society. No pencils, people loose eyes on pencils and so on. Add some colour to your life, get out there and do the Magppie dance.:very_drunk:
I think this comment shows that you really don't know what they do.

Magpies don't go for helmets - they go for ears and eyes. Wearing a helmet does very little to stop their claws. But I'm guessing showing you some photos of people who have lost eyes as a result of magpie attacks, which happens, you'd probably still stand on your high horse. Fortunately I've only been on the end of one catching the lower part of my ear, which still pisses blood.

Last edited:

4dabush

Likes Dirt
This is probably illegal, but we had a family in the back yard...funny how food tames them...they love mince, chicken - especially the skin, lawn beetles/grubs etc. we got them tame enough to sit on your knee... So if you want to take a bit of time when they are in a park you know and its convenient...maybe try a bit of TLC... (while wearing a helment and having sunnies on...) Yep, and I get that it doesnt help the commuters, zip ties poking out the helmet works too...oh, and for the petrolheads, get some 'mooneyes' logo stickers for the back of your head...that'll help

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Typical attitude of man towards anything that is an inconvenience,kill it.
I'm with you no skiddies,harden up.
Trouble is they can cause serious injury. I've had one put it's beak through the shell of the helmet and leave two chevron shaped holes in it. If that had been my head it would have been stitches - I hate to think if it was my eye. I've lost enough blood to them from hits to the side of the face it's not funny. I don't think you should kill them, that's silly, but I'd rather not lose an eye.

Point is - time for cable ties!

eMOJO

Likes Bikes
I got my first hit two weeks ago... thought it was to early in the season but nope, the bugger grabbed me on the ear and drew blood on both sides plus a nice set of scratches up the side of my face from my ear towards my eye... only one hit though but this little fella is nuts, I've seen him attack cars, repeatedly, waiting at traffic lights. All the maggies around home though are quite sedate which is good.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Magpies don't go for helmets - they go for ears and eyes. Wearing a helmet does very little to stop their claws.
Maybe I'm just lucky but the only times I ever got done by their claws was on the top on my head in the days well before helmets were available. Since helmets became compulsory while I've been targetted countless times i don't recall ever being hit.

Note I haven't ridden with them in the last few years so they could also be a lot more vicious than the days of old but then again i don't invite them to attack like we did as kids either...

quiggs

Likes Dirt
They are on their game early this year I got a kind reminder on two seperate occasions 3 weekends ago by the buggers. The first occasion out near Tolern Vale and the second in Bacchus Marsh. On both occasions they had their A game going, with repeated solid contacts on the back and helmet.

could be a long spring me thinks!! :mmph:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do cable ties attached to your helmet really work?
I've found they do work - there's one out near Panton Hill that goes for me every time, except when I've got cable ties. Been swooped once by a Magpie Lark, but never a real Magpie while I've had the cable ties on.

old

Likes Bikes
I have been getting smashed by one every morning on my commute to work... But tonight in the dark
the dirty bugger hit me!!!! In the night!!