Totally Over Magpies

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
I have been getting smashed by one every morning on my commute to work... But tonight in the dark
the dirty bugger hit me!!!! In the night!!
Dam, they always leave me alone in the dark (sleeping? im talking 5:30am here tho, not 8pm)

I got smashed by that one at Mount Annan a few weeks ago too. Can't say it was a lot of fun, tho it meant the speed i hit the big rock garden at was a lot higher than normal :D

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Got swooped this arvo ... left me along for most of my loop, and left all the soccer players alone ... then I got just a little bit to close to his tree and bang ... chased me down the street.

I hid under a tree and took my lid off and rode off and he left me alone.

They aren't really aggressive yet, three half hearted swoops, so I guess he was just practising.

Also saw something really cool today ... there is an RC oval near us and a maggie was dive bombing the pilot, whilst he was walking out to the centre ... left him alone whilst he setup and then when the engine turned on and took off, it was hell for leather ... plane was just a bit fast for him, but got pretty close a couple times. Pilot was pretty good too

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
5.30am is way to early for me. Do they start swooping at sun rise or when there is full sun?
I commute at 5am along a 15km stretch of magpie infested territory and havn't had one swoop yet. Sun's not up yet though.
And at 2:30pm when I commute home I see literally dozens of them sitting in branches and on the side of the road watching me chug on past... Still no swooping.

Getting a bit nervous now because if they do get a bit twitchy when the eggs are hatching I am way outnumbered.
It will be like a cross between Running Man and The Birds.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Maybe I'm just lucky but the only times I ever got done by their claws was on the top on my head in the days well before helmets were available. Since helmets became compulsory while I've been targetted countless times i don't recall ever being hit.

Note I haven't ridden with them in the last few years so they could also be a lot more vicious than the days of old but then again i don't invite them to attack like we did as kids either...
I dare you to ride through the roundabout just past the Antarctic Division heading out of Kingston.
Magpies on one side in the big gum near the hardware store, and plovers in the paddock opposite. Good times.

DOWNHILLPHILL

Likes Dirt
Haha yeah I got attacked by a magpie the other day on a downhill stretch next to the shopping centre I went so dam fast through the carpark and down this unleveled grassy field it was one of the funnest things I have ever done on my bike the sheer adreniline.....

Run into a pole or magpie?

Or.... Run into pole and then magpie x10

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
Opened my account for 2011

... in a big way. Went for a cruise around my loop and got swooped 5 times by 4 seperate birds. It scares shit out of me. No damage, but it distracts ya for sure. Little black & white terrorists!

Like a fighter pilot - Its always from out of the sun and from behind - you can't see them until they're on top of you.

where's my :laser:

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Awesome Magpie Action Shots

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Although the buggers give me a shock, there's something I admire about a 1kg bird daring to take on a 80kg human in defense of its young. I also just find it funny somehow. Don't know why, probably I'm just immature in that funniest home videos kind of way...

Anyway, the reason for the post, check out these awesome shots...
http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/...s-cyclist-20110916-1kd8y.html?selectedImage=0

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I commute at 5am along a 15km stretch of magpie infested territory and havn't had one swoop yet. Sun's not up yet though.
And at 2:30pm when I commute home I see literally dozens of them sitting in branches and on the side of the road watching me chug on past... Still no swooping.

Getting a bit nervous now because if they do get a bit twitchy when the eggs are hatching I am way outnumbered.
It will be like a cross between Running Man and The Birds.
Well, I jinxed myself didn't I?

Riding home on Wednesday heard a 'Whack' on my helmet like a pebble or something.
I thought it was kids throwing rocks from the bushes (wouldn't be the first time) and so I stopped and started yelling out "Come out ya little shits"! I was greeted with silence, and then I saw it, that swooping shadow getting bigger and bigger "WHACK"! beak/wing hitting helmet "HOLY SHIT!" I clipped in and went from 0kph-40kph in what seemed like about 15 seconds.

I was riding into my shadow and I could see him swooping down at me from behind as the shadow got bigger and bigger I'd wave my hand up behind my head like an epilleptic at an auction.

I thought it might be a one off so I rode that way again yesterday and the same thing happened. Only on the way home. Not in the morning (still dark).

There is no alternate way to work so it looks like I'll be running the gauntlet for a few months.
The scary thing is that it's on a stretch of shoulder-less highway where people sit on about 110kph only inches from me so it's scary enough as it is without ol' death from above.

He only chases for a stretch of about 300 metres so I reckon if I get a good run up and go into a full gallop I can hit about 45kph and minismise his swooping time. kind of exciting and scary at the same time.

A mate at work reckons those stick-on boggle eyes from spotlight work OK. But then again, he had to get his earlobe stitched back on from a maggie attack so I don't know if his advice holds much sway.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
So if you can't divert from route, can you try some 'anti maggie' techniques and let us know which one works best?

I haven't come across any this season, YET, but have added some pre-emptive cable ties to helmet..
Yeah, I'll use the next few weeks to try a few things.
Cable ties, LED light, stick-on boggly eyes, I'll also print up some of those eyes from the vic gov website (they actully have a swoop-off kit! http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/plants-an...problem-wildlife/swooping-birds/swoop-off-kit), might even try taking my helmet off for that 300 metre stretch. Dunno, lotsa cars.

The vic gove site suggests dismounting and walking past. But I remember the maggies in Wollongong (the corner where you turn to go up Mt Keira off Crown Street) they used to go me even when I walked the bike.

Anything else you guys want me to try post it up and I'll give it a crack. Taxidermed Eagle mounted to helmet mayhap?

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Got hit in the helmet yesterday on a main road, then shook my fist and yelled threats when it came back for a second go, which apparently did the trick. I was at ~30km/hr at the time too.

So I took a another route on the way home, and got hit in the back by a Ninja magpie. I couldn't find him again after he hit me which is a bit worrying.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Got hit in the helmet yesterday on a main road, then shook my fist and yelled threats when it came back for a second go, which apparently did the trick. I was at ~30km/hr at the time too.

So I took a another route on the way home, and got hit in the back by a Ninja magpie. I couldn't find him again after he hit me which is a bit worrying.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Yeah, I'll use the next few weeks to try a few things.
Cable ties, LED light, stick-on boggly eyes, I'll also print up some of those eyes from the vic gov website (they actully have a swoop-off kit! http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/plants-an...problem-wildlife/swooping-birds/swoop-off-kit), might even try taking my helmet off for that 300 metre stretch. Dunno, lotsa cars.

The vic gove site suggests dismounting and walking past. But I remember the maggies in Wollongong (the corner where you turn to go up Mt Keira off Crown Street) they used to go me even when I walked the bike.

Anything else you guys want me to try post it up and I'll give it a crack. Taxidermed Eagle mounted to helmet mayhap?

A few years ago I was in a similar situation and after getting whacked day after day the little bugger started getting meaner and meaner. One day it decided to inflict more damage and pecked me in the ear while it flew past, inflicting quite a nasty wound. I was so pissed off and frustrated that I had no mean of killing it that I had to resort to additional safety measures. Not being into DH at the time I didn't have a full face helmet (which I gladly would have worn in the attack zone) so I taped some bits of cardboard on the sides of my helmet like big ear flaps. From then on the little sucker continued to whack into my ear flaps until it eventually got sick of not being able to inflict any real damage and gave up the attack.

Yeah sure you will look like some kind of demented roman centurian, but it works!

Warwick

Likes Dirt
I went the long long zip ties, and the stick on eyes today at the You Yangs, and didnt even see the evil marauding magpie. But I didnt see it going for anyone else either. Maybe it's finished for the year, or did the stuff work?

rotorub

Likes Dirt
On Saturday, I got up a 5 and went for a quick 40 min ride before work. It was dark when I left and only got light half way thru the ride. I live in avery leafy suburb with lots of trees

All I could here was every bird under the sun making noise from the trees. I road real fast. I saw a couple of maggies swoop but no where near me and not at me. maybe they was just practicsing?

I got me wondering are they more likely to swoop in the light or will they swoop in the dark as well?
Is there any particular time of day or night to avoid?