Touring Weight Weenie

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
So I am heading off on my maiden 3 day bike tour from Albury back to Melbourne (getting the train to Albury) on sealed back roads.

I am trying to keep my weight down. I have managed to get my gear down to a reasonable 12kg including my tent, sleeping and thermarest.

Alot of the gear lists that I have seen have said to take a bunch of tools, and while I want to be prepared carrying a cassette wrench and chain whip seem a bit excessive. I was planning on just taking a multitool (inc chain breaker, spoke key and allen keys) an adjustable spanner, cable ties, tape, a spare tyre, brake and shifter cables and obviously spare tubes. Will i realistically need any more. I dont wanna be stranded but I realistically can see myself ever needing anything more. Am I being silly?

Does anyone have any weight saving tips or general touring tips?

Kano

Likes Dirt
I have completed some off road touring, notable a 2 week ride from Canberra to Mt Beauty through the Snowy mountains. We prepared for most situations, but we could spread the load about as there was 5 of us. Sometimes it depends on how many km's your bike has done, the age and quality of the components. If you have a newish bike you should have no problems. If your bike is 10+ years old and has been your daily ride then you may expect some issues.....

Anyway your list looks pretty good. For a 3 day trip I wouldn't worry about a chain whip or a spare cassette. I would put a couple of spare spokes on the list. I have found, touring on mt bikes when fully loaded, a lot for stress is on the wheels and we have broken spokes and they may slow you down.

Enjoy your ride sound like it will be fun :)

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I dunno about that. I've never broken cables for example.

As far as tools, I would take:
multi tool (w/chain tool)
zip ties,
power links
tubesx2-3
tyre (maybe)
glueless patches

For the rest:
Water,
Fruit/snacks,
teabags/coffee
dehydrated meals (camping store)
sleeping bag + 1 person tent/swag
spare clothes including rain jacket, arm/knee warmers, beanie.
mini stove thing

I've done little 3-4 day tours on pretty much the above. For spares and tools, I used the rationale that if I can get away without it, leave it at home. An adjustable spanner is not really of much help on a bike. I would take a spare r/der. before I would bother with cables. But i've never broken a cable and worst case scenario I would just ghetto single speed the thing until I got to civilisation/home. Obviously you would want to make sure that the bike is in decent shape ie, if you only have a few 100k's left in the chain just bite the bullet and throw a newie on there.

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
The bike is in good condition. I put a new chain and cassette on just in case the old ones were looking a little worse for wear.

I will remember to grab some spokes. That is a good point.

I am planning on scavenging on the way with regards to food. Maybe camp on the side of the road with a small fire and a fry pan. Nothing special.

I have gone through my stuff a few times to rationalise it all and have removed a fair bit. Just worried about getting cold and wet based on the weather forecast.