Towball mounted bike rack

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've got the older version of that rack too. I wouldn't like to have 4 full size bikes on it, but does more than well enough with 3 full size bikes and a kids bike.

The newer version looks good, and has the light bar too which is a bonus!

moorey

call me Mia
0E3EA407-3E63-4F10-9814-1C4CC93B9ADE.jpeg
Just weighed the Yak, top black 2 bike rack. 19kg. It’s a shiz ton lighter than the 4 bike torpedo jobby.

moorey

call me Mia
E3CCB9F4-69E2-4E81-B927-34541E97D796.jpeg
We had the Pacific brand one. I could see any difference from a mates older model Torpedo. Was flimsy at around 30kg. If they claim the new one is 14kg, it’s a terrifying thought.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
IMG_2017.JPG

How are those Wagon wheels looking Moorebagz? 13.41kg on the luggage scales, this is on my old version without the light board.

PJO

in me vL comy
Ps, don’t make me ban you and edit the thread to save face.
You can't ban Sac, the guy's huge he'll tear you a new arse. ;)

Just to keep on thread... I have a half share in a Thule towball mounted 3 bike rack. It weighs somewhere around 15+kg.
Solid unit but not cheap, but half share was $300, it concerns me that there is so much plastic in it, but over the last year it has been very durable.
Also had some issues with it moving but it was due to the towball being too loose

redbruce

Eats Squid
Plate tongues (ie not hitch) only have 1200kg tow limit which means 120kg towball downforce (10%) at best.

Lot of leverage with that rack so towball weight can easily be at limit over undulations if fully loaded.

Also make sure the plate tongue has a reinforcing rib underneath or it will bounce around even on normal pavement.

Given you will have a trailer, just get a 2 bike rack to minimise leverage effect and use trailer if more bikes transported.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
View attachment 343137

How are those Wagon wheels looking Moorebagz? 13.41kg on the luggage scales, this is on my old version without the light board.
Yep my 3 bike version (including my hitch and towball - couldn't be bothered taking those off to weigh it) was 16kg. So sounds right to me. That's with my light board on it. I've had it for probably 18 month- 2 years. Often has 2 bikes on it, has had 3 on several times and agreed I wouldn't offroad with it and I would always put the lightest bike away from the car. It works fine but I'd get one that tilts next time as when I go away with the family down south and take 2 bikes it's a pain not being away to get into the back of the station wagon.

For the price it's ok but it has it's limitations.