Towball mounted bike rack

scblack

Leucocholic
Plate tongues (ie not hitch) only have 1200kg tow limit which means 120kg towball downforce (10%) at best.
Where did you come up with that limit?

My second car is a Ford Escape V6, with Ford factory towbar - tongue style - having weight limit 1,600kg.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Where did you come up with that limit?

My second car is a Ford Escape V6, with Ford factory towbar - tongue style - having weight limit 1,600kg.
https://www.outdoria.com.au/blog/towbar-buyers-guide
Very rare to use tongue style above class 2.

Hayman Reese:
What is the correct towbar to fit to my vehicle?
The towbar must have a capacity that exceeds the loaded weight of the trailer you are intending to tow. Therefore you must check the rating of the towbar and the vehicles rated towing capacity which is included in the towing section of the cars handbook. There are two types of towbar available. For light duty towing generally up to 1250 Kg 'standard' towbars with a bolt on tongue are used. For heavy duty towing a hitch receiver is used which has a square hole designed for a removable ball mount or the Hayman Reese Weight Distributing Hitch.

Last edited:

camo71

Likes Dirt
Don't leave me hanging. If it's this one, what was wrong with it?
View attachment 343133
I've used this rack for 5 years for mostly my bike but sometimes the kids as well with no probs at all , bought it 2nd hand off here an bought the optional light board for it .
I never tow anything else I've drilled through my tow ball thread and put a pad lock through it , when I remove it I just pull the pin out ( also with lock ) and slide the whole lot out . Works well for me. Very happy with it for purpose .
Ps I lift this on and off often and I also lift a carton of beer often and it wouldn't weigh much more than that even with the tow ball and tongue still attached .

Last edited: