Toyota Hilux SR5 4x4 Dual Cab Shuttle Ideas

Macca333

Likes Dirt
Hey I have a Hilux 4x4 dualcab with very little usable tub room and I am trying to work out a easy and efficient way to shuttle DH bikes without a trailer. Wondering if anyone else has a similiar ute and has some ideas or something that works.

Cheers,

Ryan

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
5 bikes and 5 guys inside.

Perfect shuttle car.

Blanket on tub tailgate and bikes hang front wheel over the back.

We do it all the time.

moorey

call me Mia
i have done that a few times but i blew out a tyre on the hot exhaust once :/
Re-route exhaust, sorted. I can comfortably get 8 in the landy.
Even easier, remove one bikes wheel.
There is no cheaper, easier, or more hassle free way to move a pile of guys and bikes in a dual cab.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you have a rear step , remove one of the two bolt holding it to the chaise . Loosen the other and angle the rear step down - then just us a large piece of foam on the tail gate .

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
We shuttle with 5 guys and 5bikes in dual cabs all the time.

This has never happened to us or even come close to happening.
Yeah that's just bizarre, even with much lower/smaller utes thats never happened in several years of shuttling. You probably pissed off the gods of riding.

To rememdy sacrifice a virgin mountain bike, but don't cheap out. Kmart bikes will only anger them further.

I assume you know the ritual?

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
Could get a ladder rack and and just hang the bike over that. I've done it a couple of times in my xh ute. Its good because it doesnt cover your number plate and it gets your bikes out of the way if you happen to get rear ended.

HiluxAK76POL.JPG

Last edited:

Macca333

Likes Dirt
Yeah that's just bizarre, even with much lower/smaller utes thats never happened in several years of shuttling. You probably pissed off the gods of riding.

To rememdy sacrifice a virgin mountain bike, but don't cheap out. Kmart bikes will only anger them further.

I assume you know the ritual?

Hahahaha Kmart bike totally unacceptable but Would a giant do?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Screw two three sided aluminum guides(one each side) just before tail gate inside ute tub. Slip a cut to size piece of ply into them that is a good 7" higher than tail gate. Cut 5 big Vs out of top of ply, line with thick rubber(bike down tubes sit here), screw thick piece of rubber or underlay to ply that will hang over tail gate.
The best set up ever for shuttles. If your ute tub has the ridges in the floor you can drive like a loon and still no bike sex without ropes.
You can screw some wood at bottom of Vs to make forks stick out more or depending on the height of ply, and the wheels will skip tail gate I think, but better having it low for ease of getting them on and off, and rubber protects tailgate fine.
Hope that made sense. So damage to ute is 4 holes drilled in tub. Channels can stay in when board is not slid in.

SaabG

Likes Dirt
securedownload.jpg
I made a frame and bolted 5 grip sport crank holders to it. There's room behind the bikes for everyone to put there bags etc,the tail lights and number plate are still visible, the frame is hinged so the tail gate closes and there is only two bolts going through the tray to secure the rack. What more could you want. So much better than having your down tube scratched up by resting it on the tail gate imho. Only cost me $160 in materials and a couple hours on the welder.

Macca333

Likes Dirt
Screw two three sided aluminum guides(one each side) just before tail gate inside ute tub. Slip a cut to size piece of ply into them that is a good 7" higher than tail gate. Cut 5 big Vs out of top of ply, line with thick rubber(bike down tubes sit here), screw thick piece of rubber or underlay to ply that will hang over tail gate.
The best set up ever for shuttles. If your ute tub has the ridges in the floor you can drive like a loon and still no bike sex without ropes.
You can screw some wood at bottom of Vs to make forks stick out more or depending on the height of ply, and the wheels will skip tail gate I think, but better having it low for ease of getting them on and off, and rubber protects tailgate fine.
Hope that made sense. So damage to ute is 4 holes drilled in tub. Channels can stay in when board is not slid in.
I think i have it, Any chance you could upload a photo or two?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I think i have it, Any chance you could upload a photo or two?
I don't think I have any sorry(sold ute ages ago).
Picture ply wood sheet right behind tail gate(looking from back), the two channels(one each side)are what it slides into to stay in place. These are cut below the height of the ute sides. Simplest, cheapest sturdiest, solution that does next to no damage to ute(4 holes).

moorey

call me Mia
I used very thick tube foam from Clark rubber. I zippy tied I'd down about 12" apart, which made perfect grooves for down tubes to nestle into and stop bikes from moving around. Ever use ropes and drive over rough terrain and never had a bike move about.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Dakine Pick Up pad over the back works well. My mate picked when up from FTR for 100 I think it works great.