Track Rage

riderideride

Likes Dirt
As if you wouldnt just let him pass. There were plenty of spots where he could have passed easily but whack job stuck his foot out and blocked him from getting past. What an ass. Why would you want someone obviously faster than you riding up your ass anyway? hmmm or maybe there is the answer...

teK--

Eats Squid
The guy didn't deserve to be assaulted but it's not as if he did anything to diffuse the situation but rather he wound bumblebee up by raving on about assault and that he's on camera?? Both of them equally at fault.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
^^ This.
There's no excuse for violence, but there's too many idiots out on public trails who think they can treat them like their own personal race track. Someone out there is slower than you? Tough. Learn to enjoy riding without needing to be on the edge of your limits. It's usually these same idiots who refuse to yield for a climbing rider. Cressy Climb anyone?
Sometimes there is an excuse for violence. And that is when you punch Mr RS back in the face and teach him who's boss... :p

... oh and Cressy Climb is now Cressy 'Descent', hence no yielding. Not now anyway.

In saying that, I think the rule (yielding to climber) is stupid. It is so much safer and easier to stop when you are going slow up hill, than it is to try and stop and pull off the track when you are going a lot faster on the down. I always yield to the descender, because god forbid I don't want them to crash and burn at my expense because I try to selfishly and strictly enforce a stupid rule. It reminds me of roadies who ride 2 abreast (but really 3 abreast) just because they can, not because it is appropriate in the circumstances. Anyway, not to derail the thread. I think common sense usually prevails. :very_drunk:

akashra

Eats Squid
It just makes good sense to me because it
a) Puts the responsibility on the rider with greater speed
b) Results in riders slowing down to safer speeds and being more cautious
c) It's easier to get going again heading down than up steep climbs

That, to me, is common sense.

The trying to pass in this is no different. He needs to slow and settle down. The world is not a race track.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
It just makes good sense to me because it
a) Puts the responsibility on the rider with greater speed
b) Results in riders slowing down to safer speeds and being more cautious
c) It's easier to get going again heading down than up steep climbs

That, to me, is common sense.

The trying to pass in this is no different. He needs to slow and settle down. The world is not a race track.
Everyone has an opinion, and like opinions, everyone finds different things fun and enjoyable.

I for one, get bored if I don't test my limits in everything. That means work and play (football, mtb, snowboarding, forum writing hehe!) So if I have an opportunity to ride fast, damn I'm going to ride fast, if I can hit a jump, damn I'm going to hit that jump. In saying that, there is always a place for it too, and I certainly don't bomb downhill on a track I know is frequently used by two way traffic.

But if we all accepted mediocrity and rode within ourselves, we would not improve.

I appreciate your opinion, and I understand the theory behind the yielding rule, but it doesn't mean I agree with it in practice.

Now on topic, I also don't see what the back guy did wrong.... other than being a wimpy dweeb when the heat got turned up. He did ask politely to pass to begin with. And he wasn't racing, he was just having fun in his way, which just happened to be faster than the other guy. The other guy was also trying to go fast (as you can see in his riding technique), but he wasn't as good. So who is wrong there? Both were riding to their limit (I imagine). Should we hate on one guy just because he is better than the other? Just a question.

I don't see the fun in being brought down to the level of someone inferior when you are out trying to enjoy your favourite pass time.

It may not be a race track, but it sure as hell isn't a tanning salon.

mella060

Likes Dirt
If the trail is designed to be ridden in both directions, then why does the person descending need to be trying to ride like Sam Hill or Troy Brosnan and expect the other person to get out of their way ?

Is it too much to ask to just slow down a bit and squeeze past the other rider when safe to do so ? Most people with half a brain use common sense and scan ahead. MTBers are generally a laid back friendly bunch who
don't let a bit of lost momentum to spoil their day.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
If the trail is designed to be ridden in both directions, then why does the person descending need to be trying to ride like Sam Hill or Troy Brosnan and expect the other person to get out of their way ?

Is it too much to ask to just slow down a bit and squeeze past the other rider when safe to do so ? Most people with half a brain use common sense and scan ahead. MTBers are generally a laid back friendly bunch who
don't let a bit of lost momentum to spoil their day.
Not saying I disagree, but I like to counter argue from time to time... humour me! :)

If the track can be ridden both directions, then why does the person climbing need to be trying to ride like they are racing up Alpe d'Huez on a Strava run and expect the descender to react like a cat and get out of the way?

Like I said in my other post, if "I" am riding a two way track, I will ride accordingly, and common sense usually prevails. But the thing about common sense is... it isn't that common.

Anyway, I mostly ride 'All Mountain' and 'Downhill' and I'm fighting in enemy territory 'XC / Enduro'. :very_drunk:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Now on topic, I also don't see what the back guy did wrong.... other than being a wimpy dweeb when the heat got turned up. He did ask politely to pass to begin with. And he wasn't racing, he was just having fun in his way, which just happened to be faster than the other guy. The other guy was also trying to go fast (as you can see in his riding technique), but he wasn't as good. So who is wrong there? Both were riding to their limit (I imagine). Should we hate on one guy just because he is better than the other? Just a question.
he asked politely to begin with, but then kept on it - he also didnt take the alternate line at least 2 or 3 times, then when the doofus stopped, instead of cutting inside on the left and being in front, for some unknown reason he turned right and did a very short loop, then caught up with him again. He's make a good wife, nagging like that - second there's an assumption that the other guy has heard his requests, even so requests are just that.

I think the majority of opinion, is they are both wankers - one is a nagger, the other has a short fuse - luckily for the nagger, the bloke with a short fuse wasnt a boxer.

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
Everyone has an opinion, and like opinions, everyone finds different things fun and enjoyable.

I for one, get bored if I don't test my limits in everything. That means work and play (football, mtb, snowboarding, forum writing hehe!) So if I have an opportunity to ride fast, damn I'm going to ride fast, if I can hit a jump, damn I'm going to hit that jump. In saying that, there is always a place for it too, and I certainly don't bomb downhill on a track I know is frequently used by two way traffic.

But if we all accepted mediocrity and rode within ourselves, we would not improve.

I appreciate your opinion, and I understand the theory behind the yielding rule, but it doesn't mean I agree with it in practice.

I don't see the fun in being brought down to the level of someone inferior when you are out trying to enjoy your favourite pass time.

It may not be a race track, but it sure as hell isn't a tanning salon.
If you snowboard in resorts and dont give way to riders in front you would be in a lot of trouble.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Are there any updates on Mr Rock Shox or is everyone going to carry on about whether acsender or descender should give way which could be posted to numerous other available threads anyway?

You shall not pass - classic!

akashra

Eats Squid
ummmm..... sidetrack's reference to snow boarding is what is called an analogy. an analogy is used to demonstrate a point using a similar but different situation.
Hey, stop that.
A sense of humour is not allowed on Rotorburn.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
My new check list for training rides:
- drink bottle
- gel
- spare tube
- multi tool
- phone
- pepper spray
- baseball bat
- tazer
Try to pass me, you're gone, don't let me through, you're gone.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Is there any update on whether they have caught this mongy in the RS jersey?
I like the jersey, it may come back in style real soon if he keeps wearing it.
Surely his pic is so clear someone would have to know him and have dobbed him in over in NZ.
Or maybe they have already done a "Once were warriors" visit on his ar5e?

Cheers bro :D

Ruys

Likes Dirt
In terms of the video, the camera guy was a bit whiny, an idiot for doing that little loop thing and could have totally diffused the situation at the bottom but bumble bee guy is a f***head. I say this mainly because of the bashing at the bottom but I don't see how anyone could be arguing that he shouldn't have let camera guy past. I'm firmly with YKYMF in the opinion that logic should always prevail. It would have literally taken 2 seconds for bumble bee to pull over and let him past verses 3 minutes of frustration for camera guy being stuck behind the whole run. For f*** sake just get out of the way for a second.

And on the argument between who should yield between a climbing and descending rider, I see both sides of the argument. Sure in a perfect world the climbing rider should be able to keep his momentum and keep climbing with as little interruption as possible, but in reality, if I'm climbing and and see a rider belting down the track in front of me there's no way in hell I would ever put my head down and keep pedaling expecting that they're getting out of my way. This is because I have a firm grasp on the laws of physics. The descending rider is travelling a probably 5 to 10 times the speed and is fighting gravity when trying to stop. The amount of ground they're covering when getting off the track is likely to be 10+ meters and there's every chance that they're going to axe themselves on a tree or something. As a climbing rider I'd know that I can probably find a couple of meters on the side of the track where I can still keep pedaling uninterrupted and I can stop on a dime if needed. Long story short: maybe the descending rider should stop but there's every chance they physically can't, and a climbing rider always can.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I lost all respect for the camera guy when he says something like " do i have to run you off the track"

nopass2.jpg

nopass.jpg

Last edited:

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
In terms of the video, the camera guy was a bit whiny, an idiot for doing that little loop thing and could have totally diffused the situation at the bottom but bumble bee guy is a f***head. I say this mainly because of the bashing at the bottom but I don't see how anyone could be arguing that he shouldn't have let camera guy past. I'm firmly with YKYMF in the opinion that logic should always prevail. It would have literally taken 2 seconds for bumble bee to pull over and let him past verses 3 minutes of frustration for camera guy being stuck behind the whole run. For f*** sake just get out of the way for a second.

And on the argument between who should yield between a climbing and descending rider, I see both sides of the argument. Sure in a perfect world the climbing rider should be able to keep his momentum and keep climbing with as little interruption as possible, but in reality, if I'm climbing and and see a rider belting down the track in front of me there's no way in hell I would ever put my head down and keep pedaling expecting that they're getting out of my way. This is because I have a firm grasp on the laws of physics. The descending rider is travelling a probably 5 to 10 times the speed and is fighting gravity when trying to stop. The amount of ground they're covering when getting off the track is likely to be 10+ meters and there's every chance that they're going to axe themselves on a tree or something. As a climbing rider I'd know that I can probably find a couple of meters on the side of the track where I can still keep pedaling uninterrupted and I can stop on a dime if needed. Long story short: maybe the descending rider should stop but there's every chance they physically can't, and a climbing rider always can.
c'mon man, it just common sense. you don't step out on a pedestrian crossing if there's a semi-trailer barreling down the road, with no hope of stopping. so, yeah, anyone with half a brain would get out of the way if someone is coming downhill and can't stop. the point is, if the they CAN stop, and the trail only has one ride-able line, the rider riding downhill should stop to let the climber continue, as most of us who ride techy steep stuff know that is often impossible to get going uphill again once you put a foot down, and lots of people don't want to walk up hills, preferring to ride them.

on the flipside, if someone flies down a known busy 2 way trail (esp on a weekend) in such a way that they know they can't stop if some other rider is climbing up the hill around the next corner - well, that's just plain irresponsible.

as for rockshox guy and camera dude, i reckon i'd not want to meet either of those two riders on the trail. i very rarely call people to let me past while trail riding. In almost all cases, they can hear me coming, and they either pull off to let me past, or they keep going. If they keep going, I figure that I'm in not that much of a rush, and either wait until the next good opportunity to get past, or if it is a good DH/fast/flowy bit I don't want to waste going slow behind someone on, I stop and wait. Sometimes 30 secs is all is needed, have a drink, regroup with mates. geez what's the rush? if it was a race, it is a different story. i come across guys like rockshox guy at enduros occasionally - they just don't want to let you through, as they figure you can wait until the next fireroad, but that is ages away, and their speed is way less than you'd be going. I don't go repeatedly screaming at them though. I just find the next opportunity to sneak past and take it, even if i have to right off the track to do it.

camera dude yelling out "mate" within such a short time of the first call would had probably been enough to put anyone off-side. for all we know, rockshox dude had every intention of pulling off the track after the next corner, but got riled up by the impatience of camera dude. and it wasn't even a race.