Trading area updates

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
The system ain't broke
Yeah, notsomuch.

Also trading on RB is setup as a community benefit, not a commercial enterprise. If you cant be arsed making an effort, there's plenty of other places to conduct your half arsed peddling attempts.

If you're not willing to do much more than post the original ad, why the fuck bother at all?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
unless you're moorebagz chunty embedding yourself in overly complicated pickup post arrangements which I have experienced first hand. I think I was storing wheels for mitchy that moorey had bought off ezk that I picked up for about 2 months
Bwahahahahahaha, and to think they're now, almost exzactly half way between your place and zeek's.........

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thanks Ladies and Gents, some very good replies in there. For the record, I have never sent anything via Australia Post to a buyer. I only ever use registered couriers with consignment tracking. Yep, it's a bit dearer but it's a hell of a lot more timely and reliable. I despise Australia Post and cannot recommend them for anything, they are getting worse with the influx of cheap contracts they signed with people who don't speak English and don't even have Australian residency. You want to trust those people with your gear? Geeeeeezus!!! ;) Anyway, I have my methods and have not had any dramas at all using couriers.
I'll suggest some good reasons to use a courier that can help you sell your gear ten times quicker. How do I know? I've had over one hundred sales through this site alone.
-A courier can collect the item from you so no need to go to the post office.
-A buyer can have their own courier account number and have you send it to them so no upfront cost is allotted to the seller.
-It's quicker!!!
-I'm not sure of the comparable costs to Australia Post but it isn't that dear. If a buyer wants the goods then paying freight shouldn't be a drama.

I do understand people's opinion of not wanting someone else to handle their gear and that makes the "pick up only" thing very valid. I also understand people don't have time or resources to get to a post office or delivery depot too. In saying that, those two things are very important and I will not force trading are sales to be items you have to post but I will ask that you consider some of the suggestions when listing an item as you do have options that can improve your chance of a quick sale at a good price.

moorey

call me Mia
So why bother?

If the seller doesn't want to post, why force them to muck people about by pretending that they will. Yes, the seller may lose out on potential sales, but that's their prerogative.

The system ain't broke, so don't try to mend it.
my point is that, people will get around it, in the same way people still sell for friends if they are smart enough not to say so.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well i missed this whole thing...I think most of what has transpired is good. Ive been making some serious cheddar on this site over the years, so much that I'm looking at mountain biking options in the Cayman Islands...

- the post issue is tricky. I reckon small/medium items are easy to post. whole bikes are a pain, and wheels can be too. I've posted the whole affair over the years and will hopefully avoid bike postage in the future. I'm happy to swing a delivery/pickup as far as sydney for the right item, as a few lucky burners have discovered.

- why the hate for Australia Post? I seem to have very little trouble with them.

- realistic pics would be handy. I have had a few shockers recently...seeing me waste large amounts of time only to discover that the items are shit. genuine photos please!

I've had a couple of frustrations in the trading area of late and am considering the following additions to the trading area rules. Please let me know your thoughts on it:

-It drives me nuts seeing people post an item for sale on the internet and say it is pick up only. The largest item you can freight in mountain biking is a bike, it costs no more than $200 to get it from one side of Australia to the other and I know that for a fact, I've sent two bikes in boxes to Western Australia. Adding the note saying you accept pick up is fine but I think it should be a requirement that you put an item up for sale and are willing to post. In summary; any item listed should be something that you list knowing that posting it to a buyer is a requirement.

-Photos. I'm tempted to delete any thread that doesn't have the photos added within a couple of days, even one day. I'm also planning to delete threads that have photos taken from the manufacturer webpage that aren't of the actual item. An example of that is a guy puts a Giant Trance for sale and uses the image from the Giant website of the new bike and says "looks like this". That's not good enough and not accurate or honest.

I'll take this chance to remind people that we need you to use templates and you need to put "sold" in your titles once it's sold or not selling quickly enough. It's not hard to do, the instructions are there for you to use so please think of the other users of the site and potential buyers who may ignore your sales because you got lazy.
Thanks Ladies and Gents, some very good replies in there. For the record, I have never sent anything via Australia Post to a buyer. I only ever use registered couriers with consignment tracking. Yep, it's a bit dearer but it's a hell of a lot more timely and reliable. I despise Australia Post and cannot recommend them for anything, they are getting worse with the influx of cheap contracts they signed with people who don't speak English and don't even have Australian residency. You want to trust those people with your gear? Geeeeeezus!!! ;) Anyway, I have my methods and have not had any dramas at all using couriers.
I'll suggest some good reasons to use a courier that can help you sell your gear ten times quicker. How do I know? I've had over one hundred sales through this site alone.
-A courier can collect the item from you so no need to go to the post office.
-A buyer can have their own courier account number and have you send it to them so no upfront cost is allotted to the seller.
-It's quicker!!!
-I'm not sure of the comparable costs to Australia Post but it isn't that dear. If a buyer wants the goods then paying freight shouldn't be a drama.

I do understand people's opinion of not wanting someone else to handle their gear and that makes the "pick up only" thing very valid. I also understand people don't have time or resources to get to a post office or delivery depot too. In saying that, those two things are very important and I will not force trading are sales to be items you have to post but I will ask that you consider some of the suggestions when listing an item as you do have options that can improve your chance of a quick sale at a good price.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Try getting a courier to visit Maianbar.

Maybe once a week they might think about it. We are soooooo far away.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I reckon most of the proposed changes are fairly reasonable - especially the photos. Can we have an instant week's ban for people that can't be arsed to put SOLD in the title?

On the posting topic I agree it can be a pain in the arse, especially for items like tires etc which are bulky but of little value. Maybe agreeing to a courier pick up is a reasonable compromise? Put's the onus back on the buyer to find out if it is really worth the cost and hassle.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Did someone dare you to say that? They are fucking useless and getting worse by the day.
Nope. My shit seems to arrive in a timely.manner pretty often. Sure my postie dude hides it in my garbage sometimes, but I get it.