Trail bike brake recommendations

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I was a die hard Hope fan for many years, then moved to Shimano and love the simplicity of Shimano brakes, the power and the ease of bleeding when they need it is awesome, if my Cura brakes are as easy I will be 100% in the Formula camp.
Sorry to be blunt, but this myth that Hopes are hard to bleed needs to die - it's total BS.

Buy one of the bleed kits and it's easy-peasy:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sorry to be blunt, but this myth that Hopes are hard to bleed needs to die - it's total BS.

Buy one of the bleed kits and it's easy-peasy:
I never said that Hope were hard to bleed, actually opposite... I loved my Hopes and bleeding process, it was like dirtbike days.

Hope just became overpriced and underpowered for the price, Shimano XT brakes became the best bang for buck brakes on the planet by a long shot for many years.

Formula Cura are better than XT right now but if the maintenance process is harder, I still would recommend XT to anyone.

I do not have any experience with bleeding of maintaining Formula brakes.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Have a heap of plastic calking gun tips so clipped the end off and screwed the formula lever fitting from my bleed kit into it. Fits well and because it's clear you can see how much fluid is in there when you are at the other end of the bike with the syringe.
Aha nice. Simple but effective.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
How heavy is your friend? Cura 4s are monster brakes. The Cura 2 could be more up their alley if they are light. Easy to bleed with mineral oil with dual syringes. Have a long lever throw in the 4 pots, but is better in the 2 pots.

TRP Quadiems have the most solid build quality of any brake I've seen recently. Absolute tanks. Modulation is excellent and the power is good if you have Uberbike Racematrix pads. I've seen these and the Slate T4s for sale on Ali.

If you're friend is made of money, the XTR race lever has good modulation as it doesn't have the cam system. Pair with 4 pot calipers for a really bling brake.

If they don't have a lot of money the MT410 with sintered pads is surprisingly good. Again no cam system. You can pair the lever with a deore 4 pot caliper for the Min/Max champion. Best to get the individual parts from Ali.

Personally don't like Magura because of the fragile plastic lever bodies.

Haven't tried the Hayes Dominion, but all the reviews and feedback is good.

SRAM have just released the DB8 which uses mineral oil and runs code pads.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Thanks everyone, managed to track down a set of secondhand (as new) Dominions so it looks like that's what'll be going on.

Re Hope.... Unfortunately several mates have had numerous issues with their E4s that were sufficient to talk me out of ever buying them. Was a hard reality to except as I love their hubs and other gear but I've also seen the issues first hand. Don't really want to dive back into that as it's been covered off elsewhere here but yeah weren't an option sadly.

XTR M9120s are good but the price rises have been crazy. Better options for the money now, also work much better with Galfer pads. Agree on TRP build quality - it's insane.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
  • Is it possible to mate Code RSC calipers to Guide levers (just thinking it might save some money if remotely feasible).
Cheers
Yes; with the exception of the new mineral oil DB8 set, all SRAM levers & calipers are intermixable. However most of the problem with SRAM brakes is in the levers, so better off changing to something else entirely.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The codes are so similar in fact, that the unskilled labour assembling them in China still cannot measure the plastic pistons to work out what clearance tolerance is required so they don’t bind due to dirt in the bore and thermal expansion

jrewing

Eats Squid
Formula Cura single pistons are better than my XT Quad piston brakes, hands down.

The bleeding and maintenance is to be decided as I have never had to bleed them... whereas Shimano are really easy.
I’m looking at new brakes and the cuts 2 seem the leader. Do they have ample clearance with the disc? Ive a set of T1’s on an old bike and they run close to the disc and have a little drag.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I’m looking at new brakes and the cuts 2 seem the leader. Do they have ample clearance with the disc? Ive a set of T1’s on an old bike and they run close to the disc and have a little drag.
They are harder to set up than Shimano because they run close to the disc. You should be able to set them up to run drag free but the rotor needs to be really straight.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
How heavy is your friend? Cura 4s are monster brakes. The Cura 2 could be more up their alley if they are light. Easy to bleed with mineral oil with dual syringes. Have a long lever throw in the 4 pots, but is better in the 2 pots.

TRP Quadiems have the most solid build quality of any brake I've seen recently. Absolute tanks. Modulation is excellent and the power is good if you have Uberbike Racematrix pads. I've seen these and the Slate T4s for sale on Ali.

If you're friend is made of money, the XTR race lever has good modulation as it doesn't have the cam system. Pair with 4 pot calipers for a really bling brake.

If they don't have a lot of money the MT410 with sintered pads is surprisingly good. Again no cam system. You can pair the lever with a deore 4 pot caliper for the Min/Max champion. Best to get the individual parts from Ali.

Personally don't like Magura because of the fragile plastic lever bodies.

Haven't tried the Hayes Dominion, but all the reviews and feedback is good.

SRAM have just released the DB8 which uses mineral oil and runs code pads.

Magura make very good brakes but the levers are bullshit. After running them for a few years I went the Shigura route and love it. Basic Zee levers to an MT7 front and MT8 rear. Love them

jrewing

Eats Squid
They are harder to set up than Shimano because they run close to the disc. You should be able to set them up to run drag free but the rotor needs to be really straight.
Cool thanks, I’ll skip them then and I just bought mt5’s right then from r2 bike for 120eur all up both sides. So brakes, e13 plus DH cranks and 220mm adaptor, for 299 eur shipped. Quite the win.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any of the Formula Cura fans in here have experience/suggestions on rotors?
I picked up a set of Cura 4's to replace Guide RSC.

I'm about 85kg kitted up and never really had any issues with the guides stopping me

Litenbror

Eats Squid

I'm about 85kg kitted up and never really had any issues with the guides stopping me
I'm running the formula 1 piece rotors and they stop great but due to being 2mm there is less room for pad clearance. I ran Shimano rotors on the Prime with Curas and they stopped just fine. I'm about 85kg as well and I think you would be fine with any 1.8mm rotor.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running the formula 1 piece rotors and they stop great but due to being 2mm there is less room for pad clearance. I ran Shimano rotors on the Prime with Curas and they stopped just fine. I'm about 85kg as well and I think you would be fine with any 1.8mm rotor.
So the Formula 1.8mm versions should be good.
Any noise complaints?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
So the Formula 1.8mm versions should be good.
Any noise complaints?
I thought they were 2mm but I'm probably wrong I haven't actually looked :D.

No noise complaints but I have stuck with the stock pads which are resin I think, no issues with power or fade. I had some noise when I contaminated the rotor but that was my fault, has gone away after cleaning the pads and rotor.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

I'm running 2 piece Clarks from Wiggle no problem.

I'm running sintered pads which make a slight 'gurgling' sound but no issues otherwise.