Trail Bike Recs for a Born-again Newby

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Hi all.

After a few false starts to get back into MTB in recent years, the time is niegh, as the kids are getting faster and I need to keep up! However, as a born-again newby, I'm a bit stumped by the plethora of options and not fully up with the latest parts combos.

I'm over a decade since any serious riding and was casual racing XC (Fat Tyre Flyers, Red Hot Rim Run, etc) in the early-mid 90's on rigid Stumpys. I actually started riding in 1998 in Canada on a Schwinn (was cool in the day).

My only current ride is an 04 Avanti Aggressor Pro HT with a 08 Fox 32 100mm and 07 XTR/Crossmax/Juicy Ultimates/etc. Top XC spec of the day and in great knick, but its getting tired and I'm keen to get onto something modern!!!

Age aside (50 years young) I'm 185cm, 90kg and based in Lower Plenty. Most rides will be out from home (Yarra trails, horse trails up around Panton Hill, Plenty, etc).

I'm open to having my position changed, but I'm thinking a trail oriented dualy, 29er, HT, 120-150mm travel, new or 1-2 years used, and around the $2.5-3.5K range.

Anyone able to throw a few options out there?

Cheers,
AJ

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Norco Optic, Canyon Neuron and Giant Trance seem right up your alley if you're mostly tacking singletrack.

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys.

I've never been a Norco/Giant/Trek fan, but for no actual 'technical' reason. But I wont let that stop me given I'm sticking to a budget range and really just want the best bang for buck in a bike that best suits me! If its another Schwinn then so be it ;)

Taking the about $3-3.5K price-point in a new bike, it looks like the Canyon has better specs. I've read that in a few reviews about Canyon, Commencal, etc. Is that right in the case of these four you've recommended?

Like I mentioned at the start, the parts combos keep turning me corss-eyed.

The Neuron AL7.0 ($2.9K) runs 34 Rythm, Float DPS, GX Eagle and MT400. The Trance 2 runs almost the same but at a $3.7K point. What's the +$800 in?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Thanks guys.

I've never been a Norco/Giant/Trek fan, but for no actual 'technical' reason. But I wont let that stop me given I'm sticking to a budget range and really just want the best bang for buck in a bike that best suits me! If its another Schwinn then so be it ;)

Taking the about $3-3.5K price-point in a new bike, it looks like the Canyon has better specs. I've read that in a few reviews about Canyon, Commencal, etc. Is that right in the case of these four you've recommended?

Like I mentioned at the start, the parts combos keep turning me corss-eyed.

The Neuron AL7.0 ($2.9K) runs 34 Rythm, Float DPS, GX Eagle and MT400. The Trance 2 runs almost the same but at a $3.7K point. What's the +$800 in?
$800 Giant tax

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
What do you guys reckon about a Commencal Meta 29, versus those you've already recommended? Seems on par in many ways with Canyon's offering.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
What do you guys reckon about a Commencal Meta 29, versus those you've already recommended? Seems on par in many ways with Canyon's offering.
I like them more. Abit tougher and DH oriented.

Check out the bible of bikes test on youtube, they tested the meta and giant, aswel as a few others in the category. Can’t remember if they did the norco and canyon.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Looks great but seems to be tending to more of the gravity side of things than the other suggestions even in the TR version.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I bought a Meta AM 29, great bike for riding DH oriented trails. I mainly ride up fire roads to session trails so I knew what I was getting myself into.

I'd probably pick the Meta TR over the canyon if I was looking for something more DH oriented. With this being said, the bike will climb just about anything. Probably just be a little bit heavier.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a few good reviews getting around for the polygon, Marin and Merida 140 in this category as well.

I tested the trance 29 recently for a week and hated it but I also tested the Specialized Stumpjumper and loved it but it’s considerably dearer.

nelsti

Likes Bikes
With 2020 models being released you should be able to score a bargain, for example I recently picked up a new 2019 Trek Remedy for $3100, the 2020 model is $4499.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
The TR version looks like a great bike. It continually tempts me.

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys.

I should have said I meant the trail/TR version of the Meta. Def want more trail than gravity if I'm honest with what I'll actually mostly do on it.

I'll follow up on all your tips, keep searching and might post back when I find an option or two, if I'm still unsure.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It appears the budget has stretched if you are considering the Meta TR?
This could open up even more options

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Well you know how it is.... bikes, cars, houses, etc.... how often do we really come in on budget once some bling starts being flashed around.

I set the range, expecting realistically that I'd end up around the mid-$3K mark. Plus knowing that at whatever price-point, the best bang for buck will be a low use 1-2yo used bike. If I go new, it'll also be a 2018/19 model, not a new 2020 (again trying to get some bang for buck as Nelsti noted above).

The issue I am currently finding with used bikes is (1) huge variation in asking price and 'actual' condition (I'm surprised what many seem to think "mint condition" means), (2) silly asking prices about the same as new and (3) they just keep getting out-shined by the new bikes.

So for today... off for a spin on the 15yo 26er HT ;-)

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The second hand selling approach by many people is absolutely absurd.
But we won't worry about opening that can of worms

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As you're getting back into it I wouldnt be forking out $3.5k.
I would get on the facebook mtb pages and get something like a Trance or Trek Remedy.
The last couple of years have seen barely any tech development so dont think you are missing out much by not going new.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As you're getting back into it I wouldnt be forking out $3.5k.
I would get on the facebook mtb pages and get something like a Trance or Trek Remedy.
The last couple of years have seen barely any tech development so dont think you are missing out much by not going new.
Just realised you said 29er. They seem to be the flavour at the moment so might be harder to get something second hand.