Trail Bike Recs for a Born-again Newby

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Okay then... all sorted.

I got swamped with the range of options, prices, etc, so used the service of The Bike Broker (Rob), so sorted me out well and truly.

I'm now on a lightly used, high-specked, 2017 Ibis Ripley LS for about mid-point on the budget.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

AJ

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Okay then... all sorted.

I got swamped with the range of options, prices, etc, so used the service of The Bike Broker (Rob), so sorted me out well and truly.

I'm now on a lightly used, high-specked, 2017 Ibis Ripley LS for about mid-point on the budget.

Thank for all the input and suggestions.

AJ
Were are the pics ya big tease

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
LOL... soon, soon. Only just home, hanging to set it up and ride, but work was calling (have to pay for it), so hope to have a decent spin at Westerfolds tonight after the kids are down. Will get a few snaps up over the weekend.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Great choice.

When you get the shock serviced, get them to add a larger volume spacer as it's tricky to hit the recommended sag when stock for heavier guys.

I'm 95kg and it improved the bike for me, although it wasn't bad beforehand.

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Rightio... First ride done and bloody loved it (remembering I'm coming off a 15yo 26er TH).

Not even close to set up right yet, with only about 150psi of the needed 200psi rear shock starting point, the fork and tyres with too much pressure and the stem a bit long for my liking (100mm), but it still topped my average and max speeds by a few km/h and climbed better than the old HT without me trying any harder. I have a little climb/descend/flat/climb track loop I do for sub-30min runs when family allows, so its a decent gauge.

As promised, photo below.

Custom built new in 17, specs are broadly Fox Factory 34/DPS EVOL (updated internals), XX1, Guide R/Hope, Next SL 175mm, Reverb 150mm/Ergon Pro Ti, Tune Kong/Kingkong/Light Bicycle Carbon 30mm internal, Ardent 2.4F/2.25R and then some RaceFace, Zoom, Syntace, etc parts. A pretty schmick build and way lighter than I'd have expected. I certainly found nothing else even close to that age (2yo) with that level of specs for the price.

Already on order are a new stem (50-70mm), Gipplers, MarshGuard and new fork/shock decals. Thinking saddle also and I'll likely run a new service kit through the fork/shock once I get it a little more dialed and suss them out.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Not even close to set up right yet, with only about 150psi of the needed 200psi rear shock starting point, the fork and tyres with too much pressure and the stem a bit long for my liking (100mm),
I've got about 230psi in the shock, 150 sounds very low. These bikes never really feel like they bottom out which is one of the great things about them, but you'll get a lot of pedal strikes with the sag too low.

50mm stem should be a big improvement too, although these bikes are pretty short by modern standards.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
And piss that ardent off up front! Out backs not so bad, but there are much nicer tyres. Minion 2.3 for sure!

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Tubbsy,
Yes, my old shock pump only goes to 175, and even then, I'm not convinced I got it there. Starting point should have been around 205psi (94kg x 2.2). New pump in the order!
So you're 230psi plus a volume spacer.
Any idea what size volume spacer they put in your shock? Looks like a few to chose from.

UL,
Thanks and noted. Will ride it a bit more first and see how they treat me.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome bike!

Out of interest how was the bike broker experience? See his bikes all over Facebook but wonder where the bikes come from and how he is to deal with...

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Thanks Tubbsy.
Got my hand on a loaner 300psi pump and I set the shock at the usual Fox recommended 'psi in pounds body weight' (i.e. 205) and it was still saggy. However, I checked the Ibis manual and sure enough... they say 230psi at our weight. With 230psi, I'm getting a couple of mm more than the Ibis suggested 11mm sag, so will see how the travel goes on the next ride.
And as suspected after the first ride, I had the fork too hard at 100psi (thought I'd pumped it to 95psi). Got my roughly 20% sag with about 92/93psi.
Going to ride it a few weeks and then put a service kit through the fork/shock and check all the pivots, so will likely need to go through this process again.

SFT,
Rob (broker) was great for me.
As I noted at the start, I was spinning in circles with the plethora of options for new/used, makes, models, specs, asking prices, etc. I am also very busy with a young family and business, so time poor. The small fee Rob charges, saved me many many hours of researching and the price he got me on the bike was WAY less than I'd have thought even possible. The fee was more than paid for in my time saved and purchase price.
Also, with his experience and knowledge, he knew the bike(s) that would best suit me (re age, weight, riding style, etc). Once he found the Ripley and I was sorting an inspection, I did some quick research, just to double check the direction he was pointing me, and it really did tick every box I had. Remembering, it hadn't even crossed my radar due to my perception of exotic/high cost.

It was a no brainer really in the end. I'm wrapped in the bike and feel I got excellent value, and I'll 100% use him for the likely future upgrade(s)!