trail building tips

1) Walk the trail and plan where to build;
as simple as it sounds. there are many good reasons to walk a trail and see where u want to build it. this comes in handy when you are planning on how much time and effort you want to put into your track. also helps you to make sure u want end up next to an angry path-user and away from obvious dangers and deterants

2) Clear a wide path;
im not talking bout getting a steam roller and making the path as wide as a footbal feild but i am suggesting making it wider than a couple inches. the reason for this is that if its a new trail it will help you to find your line when your riding it and also allow you to check for any dangers stumps or rocks you dont wanna bend you rib over when ur eating dirt, the track after a while will become thinner anyway after time as leaf litter falls on the un-used section of track.

3) Dont go easy;
your spending your time and effort on building a track and if your anything like me may even spend more time building it than riding it. but if you finish a track after three months and learn how to ride it in 1 month i would consider that pointless. depending on what you want to get from a track i would suggest in most cases building obsticals that you are not comfortable with. this way your track will always keep you interested and learning from it with every ride.

4) Try not to destroy, Why??;
if you go to any track and start hacking down trees and rolling huge boulders through the bush your gonna disturb and attract unwanted attention. in most cases people will hear all the noise and complain to council, or hundreds of people with their push bikes and moto's and drugs will have just found a nice clean path have a bash on.

5) North shore;
its awsome to ride but there are a few things to watch out for, timber platforms become very obvious features in the middle of the bush. so depending on who you want knowing about your track this may or may not concern you.

vandalism, when your six to ten feet of the ground and riding down a track the last thing you want is to have a few beams missing or ladder gone. not a happy ending.

rotting and white ants, its a good idea to check your stuff every few months to make sure everything is still as solid as when you first built it. try to support or burry beams onto flat rocks as this will stop an amount of water soaking up through the bottom of the timber leading to rot. another way is to use sacrificial timber as a base for your supports that can be replaced when they in time rot with the moisture

technique, not everyone is an awsome builder but there are a few things to suggest.
-1) use bolts not nails for any supports or beams
-2) use screw instead of nails for the attaching of slats (they stay in place)
-3) primary supports should run fom the ground straight to the ladder,
secondary supports should run diagnally between these primary supports for extra strenght
-4) support it until you not scared to jump up and down on every section

6) HAVE FUN

hope this helps a few of you guys, if not dont tell me. lol

Atomikryder

Likes Dirt
Also, if on council or someones land get permission before you build as they will most likely destroy it and there goes all you time and effort.;)

stp_kid2

Likes Dirt
thankyou for the tips man . really helpful . thanks for taking the time to write it all up .

cheers

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify stickify please. good tips mate. well done.

demo man

Used to be cool.
some good generic info there, i'm sure it will help a few people out there.

i hate to sound pedantic, but your step 1 is wrong. Step 1 is always, always always always, get permission to use the land. scout it out first, legally, but don't build without permission.

this is even more important when it comes to north shore. and again, if you are building it, build it damn well. build it so that a moto rider can happily smash along your track (not that we want motos onm the tracks) without damaging the bridges. that means design your stuff before you build it - on paper - with measurements.

look at this case: here in the ACT, we built bridges for the MONT last year with forrestry aprooval. we are now building bridges all over the place on XC tracks, with plans for a LOT more, thanks to how sturdy the construction was on the MONT bridges. those bridges are now used as an un-official guidline for how well all north shore structures need to be built.

from little things, big things grow.

im dont wanna argue so i dont wanna comment. but i can't see all our juniour members queing up at local council now awaiting there 6 to 12 months before final disapointment, its gotta be realistic!

Bazil_1

Likes Dirt
If your placing wooden poles in the ground, pour some old car oil over the end that goes in the ground to help stop them rotting.

demo man

Used to be cool.
beginner_giantDH said:
im dont wanna argue so i dont wanna comment. but i can't see all our juniour members queing up at local council now awaiting there 6 to 12 months before final disapointment, its gotta be realistic!

who said you have to que up? or even at a council office?

private land - get written permission from the landowner. put forward a strong case, via a strong presentation (powerpoint, video, photos, talk), fairly detailed plans and intentions, and even better a written proposal. get your parents involved if you can.

council land - same as above, strong presentation, and definately including a written proposal - as detailed as possible. get parents in the area involved. use the line "it gets them off the couch and off the streets" and if you are young and are spearheading it all up, or even better you and some freinds, then make sure that the people in power realise that this is a bunch of young kids getting together, getting organised, acting with lots of initiative and trying to do something positive for themselves, the local area, and the sport they enjoy.
also talk about other examples of mountain biking trails and events aound Aus and the world. use the MONT as an example of a great big fat aussie event, over 2500 riders and 7000 spectators...thats a lot of tourism. same goes for national rounds and even just state rounds. use Whistler as an example of an overseas facility, and use, maybe the Tasmania MTB park where a National round is held as an aussie example, or the new Mt. Stromlo project perhaps ($300,000 granted to CORC to build a whole heap of stuff - see the CORC website for heaps of info - www.corc.asn.au - within a $6.5(ish) million recreation park.)
If your request is reasonable, it has a good chance.

some people will find this boring as batshit though. if there is a local club then things are easier. get in touch, become a member, and hassle the trails advocacy officer heaps, but support and help them too.

the fact is, more illegal stuff just makes mountain bikers look like stupid young people wandering around the bush with spades and bikes. really educate the people in power of what it is we are doing and they will of course become more simpathetic to your cause. take a local pollie on a ride (make sure he/she realises how beneficial it could be for their reputation to go for a bike ride with some kids), and take that oppertunity to talk to her about mountain biking, what's being done in other places, and how it could be done here (here meaning there, where you are).

everythings is doable for the persistant. while i realise that young kids will build illegal stuff no matter what you do (well, until there are local DJ spots and trails that satisfy kids needs anyway) - BUT i do think that we should try not to encourage it. it's clearly not the way forward.

thanks for the reply. it helps to have a lil incite to what others have done and thier success with the situation. i agree with your point about it being the way forward. do u still have the proposals u wrote to the council/land owner because i would love to see them and copy them, lol its the way forwards!! but seriously in most cases i dont think that it can be avoided. anyways. hope the tips are helping people out!
cheers guys

demo man

Used to be cool.
there are SHITLOADS of papers, propsals, letters, responses, plans and all sorts of Trail Advocacy stuff in the trails section of CORC.

if you want to see the written stuff that CORc does to get access to all of Canberra's facilities - LOOK HERE!!!

http://www.corc.asn.au/trails/

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
Bazil_1 said:
If your placing wooden poles in the ground, pour some old car oil over the end that goes in the ground to help stop them rotting.
how stupid do you want to get yes it will stop the wood from rotting for a while but eventually all that poisonous oil will get washed into streams and pollute the water
seriously think before you post

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
speaking of Rotting NS wood is there any way you could stop wood rotting on a NS? without doing something environmentally damaging like car oil as NS was intended to be a less damaging aspect of MTB:cool:

demo man

Used to be cool.
Mattydv said:
speaking of Rotting NS wood is there any way you could stop wood rotting on a NS? without doing something environmentally damaging like car oil as NS was intended to be a less damaging aspect of MTB:cool:

there are products you can buy at a hardware store that will fix this up for you...

but, better yet:

when you're buying the wood, buy "treatred wood", that already has been treated to be anti-rotting.

Icarus

Likes Dirt
beginner_giantDH said:
awsome info champ will be sure to use for council stuff! see how i go
I wonder if he got banned for calling everyone "Champ" in every post?