Trail dogs

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
My dog lately has started cheating and cutting directly through the switchbacks.. Realised it's a good way to save some time. But would prefer she didn't. Not sure how to change that habit. Otherwise doing great out on the trails.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
My trail dog is still in training.... She's a 6.5 month old Aussie Shepherd.... Just walks and slow jogs on trails for now until she's 12 months old.
She's big into product placement already!
As someone mentioned, our vet advised not to go full on until she's 12 months which should work well coming into late Autumn and she'll have a few months trail time before the snakes come back out.
Soon I'll try riding around in the local park to see if she'll follow.

nathanm

Eats Squid
My dog lately has started cheating and cutting directly through the switchbacks.. Realised it's a good way to save some time. But would prefer she didn't. Not sure how to change that habit. Otherwise doing great out on the trails.
Most dogs do it, they're not built for railing berms. You won't be able to change the habit but it doesn't really hurt.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
My main concern is sometimes bit of scrub between switchbacks.. Can't necessarily see if snakes etc. Keeping her on the trail feels bit safer but yeah likely nothing I can do.

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
This is my sidekick, Tripp the Corgi.

I don't take him in the bush with me, for 2 reasons:

1. He doesn't take kindly to coming when called.

2. He HATES coming second in any race. We often do sprints in the back yard (usually on the bmx) and he is really great and doing the old high-low and wiping my front wheel out from under me in corners. Hopefully in the near future we will have a much bigger yard where we can work on his bike following skills.

Corgis are herding dogs, so will chase similar to a BC/kelpie/blue cattle dog, and they are much faster and jump a lot better than you might expect given their short little legs.

nathanm

Eats Squid
My main concern is sometimes bit of scrub between switchbacks.. Can't necessarily see if snakes etc. Keeping her on the trail feels bit safer but yeah likely nothing I can do.
Good point. In that case you may need to train it otherwise. Maybe slow down and stop when it goes off track and call it back, that way it knows not to go off track. In Tas we don't really have that issue.

My old Dalmatian was trained to "track" where he'd move aside for riders/me and "wheel" where he would sit just behind me, on my wheel. Unfortunately/fortunately this was his default position but would only ride second wheel, whether it was me or not. In a group ride one day I got dropped and my dog left me to stay second wheel, I didn't see him again for 20 minutes until I caught up with the group, he just gave me a disappointed look.

I've now got 2 x 1+ year old dallie's and they're getting trained to the same commands early on, they haven't seen a wallaby yet so whether they will actually stick with me is yet to be questioned.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Most dogs do it, they're not built for railing berms. You won't be able to change the habit but it doesn't really hurt.
My old dog(great Dane X Ridge Back) would so big four paw/claw drifts if there weren't berms. You'd see them pushing back up, some 30cms long. They can G out pretty hard in berms but.

I doubt a snake would respond quick enough to a dog in full flight in thick scrub were it's visibility is also impaired until the dogs right on it. Might be wrong.

45718_10151324512712947_2003382262_n.jpg
Here's a pic with bad timing of the hip jump(right to left) I mentioned where Ruby the Racer would run underneath me. Didn't realize I had this shot. Go pro on me would be better when she's in front.
240485_10152144722575595_534342006_o.jpg
Ruby roosting a mate.
285288_10151324512622947_483951483_n.jpgAnother mate and Ruby. If you're slow enough she likes to bite the front tire. Ran her over once when her tooth got stuck in a single wall tyre, Flatted it and I had to walk home from shops. Lots of cussing that trip.
293218_10150930389242947_1604019428_n.jpgMe and Ruby hitting some doubles. Hers is maybe an 8 ft gap. She usually dodges the doubles now she's older, well the decent sized ones at least.

Last edited:

nathanm

Eats Squid
My old dog(great Dane X Ridge Back) would so big four paw/claw drifts if there weren't berms. You'd see them pushing back up, some 30cms long. They can G out pretty hard in berms but.
That reminded me though, we had the dalmatian and a lab/staffy x. In a corner the inside dog would literally lean on the other outside dog and use them to corner, many a time they'd push each other off the single track.

Trail dogs are awesome. Tassie sucks as there is almost no where you can ride with dogs.

No Skid Marks

That reminded me though, we had the dalmatian and a lab/staffy x. In a corner the inside dog would literally lean on the other outside dog and use them to corner, many a time they'd push each other off the single track.

Trail dogs are awesome. Tassie sucks as there is almost no where you can ride with dogs.
Dodgem Dogs.

If my dog has done a shit, I take it anywhere to ride. But it won't chase stuff. Not that that'll stop a ranger from fining you.

Last edited:

nathanm

Eats Squid

My dogs are too lazy to come riding with me.

Sent from my iPhing using Tapatalk
Is your Dane taller than your bike? My mate had a Wei that use to ride with us, bloody thing would never do what it was told, chased everything and thought it was good fun to run off and stand on the highway and stop cars.

No Skid Marks

My dogs are too lazy to come riding with me.

Here's My Harlequin X Ridge Back(guess)I spoke of earlier. Such an awesome dog, very active, unlike her pedigree Harlequin Dane Mum and Grandmum. They definitely represent their design as apartment dogs(apart from size(WTF!), laziest couch warmers ever, nicest people but.
IMG_5505.jpg Zoe was smart as, muscly and fit and the best looking dog I've ever seen, let alone owned. Not as good acceleration as my little Ruby, but once up to speed she could keep up with anything. Could ride across Paramatta road at peak hour with her on voice command, stopping on medium strip even. I mis her dearly. Sorry for my dog gloating, I love my good K9 Mates. We bred her with a Pure Bred Boston Greg. 10 Puppies I think it was. Was so hard moving about when the pups were bigger, as you know Danes love to be touching you even if you're walking. Lots of tripping over was had. Great fun if carrying food.

Last edited:

BizL

Likes Dirt
Yeah my big boy Wilfred is taller than me (6'3) when he stands up. To be honest I haven't tried to take him for a ride. He's good on lead but I'll have to take him for a run with out it on the bike one day at my in laws block. He loves running and he's pretty darn fast too. But he's pretty buggered after about 30-45 mins.

It's funny when he tries to "sneak" down the hallway to the bedroom. He's not very sneaky.

Last edited:

nathanm

Eats Squid
Got my guys out weekend before last to knock out a dozen or so kays at Belbins Road.

They hadn't been for a while so were uncontrollable for the first 10 minutes, including taking a wrong trail so I had to back track to find them. After that they realised if they didn't stick with me they were going to get dropped and stuck to my wheel for the next 2 hours.

Clocked them doing about 25km/h behind me on some of the descents, though I did also hear them eat shit into the scrub a few times, probably when they were leaning on each other to corner.

stirk

Burner
Here's My Harlequin X Ridge Back(guess)I spoke of earlier. Such an awesome dog, very active, unlike her pedigree Harlequin Dane Mum and Grandmum. They definitely represent their design as apartment dogs(apart from size(WTF!), laziest couch warmers ever, nicest people but.
View attachment 300479 Zoe was smart as, muscly and fit and the best looking dog I've ever seen, let alone owned. Not as good acceleration as my little Ruby, but once up to speed she could keep up with anything. Could ride across Paramatta road at peak hour with her on voice command, stopping on medium strip even. I mis her dearly. Sorry for my dog gloating, I love my good K9 Mates. We bred her with a Pure Bred Boston Greg. 10 Puppies I think it was. Was so hard moving about when the pups were bigger, as you know Danes love to be touching you even if you're walking. Lots of tripping over was had. Great fun if carrying food.
How come your dog has big blue eyelashes?

Getting her ready for the poodle?

No Skid Marks

Ha ha, thought something going on there with those blue eyes!

Great dog to put up with that for sure.

That's going straight into the poodles spank bank,
Oh the white/blue eyes were hers, amazing eyes, just not the lashes.

stirk

Burner
I've always loved the two different colour eyes some cattle dogs get, one white eye the other black, brown or blue.

I've not had a dog in my life for 15 years, now I have my own family it's dog time!

moorey

call me Mia
I've always loved the two different colour eyes some cattle dogs get, one white eye the other black, brown or blue.

I've not had a dog in my life for 15 years, now I have my own family it's dog time!
Give a whippet a look. Brilliant with kids, love to run, great trail etiquette...if you have the time and room to exercise them.