Trail Hardtail Advice

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I built my nukeproof for a little over 1k. Frame was 320buks, forks/stem 400buks. Got everything except the frame second hand for good prices.

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks, it does look like fun, everytime ive tried flicking the rear wheel on mine it moves slightly and rubs! ha-hence why im really liking the 12mm rear axle.

I have looked at the ragley too and again its getting hard to get them as CRC are stopping what they post to AUS I think and I cant find an AUS distributor...

Anyone used a 140mm 29er hardtail on trails before?
I got a Ragley frame from CRC 2 weeks ago.

This may be the right thread for this dumb question: I've often read that hardtails are a lot of "fun". What does this mean exactly? Doesn't everyone want to have "fun"? Why would anyone buy a dually if hardtails are more "fun" (and less expensive)?

P.S. I've not ridden a dually before ...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
It's like coming off a yz450f onto a yz125. Small bikes you can ride to it's limits are fun.

People buy full sussers cause they're fun too. ride a good enduro bike and plow into shit at warp speed and try and tell me it's not fun.

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
People buy full sussers cause they're fun too. ride a good enduro bike and plow into shit at warp speed and try and tell me it's not fun.
Can confirm.
I've gone from a 160mm duelly to a 160mm hardtail. The duelly was overkill for 99% of the tracks I do. I loved plowing over anything as fast as humanly capable but as my skill improved I found I could do it with less and less travel.
Now I have the same amount of fun and feel like I'm going at max speed more often. The only times I miss rear travel is over rocky rooty sections and when I'm really fatigued.

Ultra Lord

Or neither and have a mid travel aggressive trail bike ala commencal meta tr v4.2, whyte T130, tranny scout etc. stupidly fun bikes.

Had a steel hardtail, and a giant reign. Both have been replaced with a scout and I couldn't be happier.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I must admit I have pondered what it would be like to trade both of my bikes in on a T130. But then the obvious answer is I just keep them and save up for a T130 as well :)

Ultra Lord

Y=n+1

There pretty good bikes, cant see you being unhappy either way.

Just throw on a 2.4 hr2 on the front and a dd aggressor on the back, happy days

MeridaMatt85

Likes Bikes
Y=n+1

There pretty good bikes, cant see you being unhappy either way.

Just throw on a 2.4 hr2 on the front and a dd aggressor on the back, happy days
ok.. I know those are tyres, but whats a HR2 and DD aggressor?!??!

So update for everyone considering I got heaps of advice and opinions...... I have done the sums and it keeps coming back that buying a frame and building up from there will cost more, yes I know ultimately I will get a better bike but its going to be a lot more than I had worked out and again I wont be able to sell what I already have... so im probably going to go the Nukeproof Scout or the Dartmoor Primal... really cant decide to go mid fat 27.5 or get the slightly better clearance for the ruts I ride with the 29er....

Both bikes will be a massive change for me and I will probably swap the components from the new bike and put on my XT running gear and SLX brakes and dropper, put the stuff from the new bike on my old and see to get some $$$ back. I'd like to keep mine but I don't ride it enough nor have I got heaps of room to store said bikes :)

I am testing out a full susser soon but I don't think budget will extend to a full sus... if I like it so much more than a HT guess I just have to wait longer!

ok.. I know those are tyres, but whats a HR2 and DD aggressor?!??!

So update for everyone considering I got heaps of advice and opinions...... I have done the sums and it keeps coming back that buying a frame and building up from there will cost more, yes I know ultimately I will get a better bike but its going to be a lot more than I had worked out and again I wont be able to sell what I already have... so im probably going to go the Nukeproof Scout or the Dartmoor Primal... really cant decide to go mid fat 27.5 or get the slightly better clearance for the ruts I ride with the 29er....

Both bikes will be a massive change for me and I will probably swap the components from the new bike and put on my XT running gear and SLX brakes and dropper, put the stuff from the new bike on my old and see to get some $$$ back. I'd like to keep mine but I don't ride it enough nor have I got heaps of room to store said bikes :)

I am testing out a full susser soon but I don't think budget will extend to a full sus... if I like it so much more than a HT guess I just have to wait longer!
I love my Scout, would really liked to have had a go at it in 29.
27.5 is great but just think I would prefer it in the bigger wheels. Being a bigger guy it seems to make sense for me.
Next HT will certainly be 29.
Don't think you'll be disappointed with either of the options you're looking at here.

Ultra Lord

Maxxis high roller 2 2.4 wide for the front.
Maxxis aggressor rear, double down casing 2.3 wide for out back.

Ultra Lord

I love my Scout, would really liked to have had a go at it in 29.
27.5 is great but just think I would prefer it in the bigger wheels. Being a bigger guy it seems to make sense for me.
I don't understand how ones physical size dictates what size wheel they should be riding, it doesn't impact frame fit at all, except on the extreme small side of the scale. Whats the line of thought here? It's been bugging me awhile. Ride characteristics change between the two, but I figured that'd be it.

Fyi I'm 6"4, 95kg and people told me I should be on a 29er when I was ordering my tranny scout. Even though the frame fits me nicely.

MeridaMatt85

Likes Bikes
Maxxis high roller 2 2.4 wide for the front.
Maxxis aggressor rear, double down casing 2.3 wide for out back.

Fyi I'm 6"4, 95kg and people told me I should be on a 29er when I was ordering my tranny scout. Even though the frame fits me nicely
ok that makes sense, I run a Minion DHF on front and High Roller on the rear now.

Fyi I'm 6"4, 95kg and people told me I should be on a 29er when I was ordering my tranny scout. Even though the frame fits me nicely

I don't know either, im only 5'11 but I was thinking a 29er would have more clearance between hub and bottom of tyre for when I hit some of the really deep ruts.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I don't understand how ones physical size dictates what size wheel they should be riding, it doesn't impact frame fit at all, except on the extreme small side of the scale. Whats the line of thought here? It's been bugging me awhile. Ride characteristics change between the two, but I figured that'd be it.

Fyi I'm 6"4, 95kg and people told me I should be on a 29er when I was ordering my tranny scout. Even though the frame fits me nicely.
I agree with this. I bought my first 'real' bike a couple of years ago. Was a Trek Fuel ex9. a 29er because I'm 6"3. It was a must have apparently. I loved the straight line speed but felt something was missing.

I then built up an NS ECCENTRIC 27.5 and the difference for me was night and day. So much more agile and fun. Sold the fuel and bought a 27.5 full squish.

To the OP was hoping you'd go the Nukeproof. It's got a better hardcore hardtail pedigree than the Merida and lots of folks seem to really like it.

MeridaMatt85

Likes Bikes
I agree with this. I bought my first 'real' bike a couple of years ago. Was a Trek Fuel ex9. a 29er because I'm 6"3. It was a must have apparently. I loved the straight line speed but felt something was missing.

I then built up an NS ECCENTRIC 27.5 and the difference for me was night and day. So much more agile and fun. Sold the fuel and bought a 27.5 full squish.

To the OP was hoping you'd go the Nukeproof. It's got a better hardcore hardtail pedigree than the Merida and lots of folks seem to really like it.
Yeah I have pretty much ruled out the Merida, I really don't like the fork and it would need to be stupidly cheaper than Nukeproof to even consider it. I am thinking Dartmoor Primal or the NP scout 290 or Scout 275 depending on what tyres I can fit on each (asked CRC and bike right but no replies as yet)

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tyre clearance on my NP scout 275 is fricken huge, ill take a picture later.

Last edited: