NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Will talk to people Monday morning and decide whether a thursday workday has the legs to proceed or not.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Hi All,

As I've only had a couple of replies and given uncertain weather the trail day won't be going ahead this Thursday. I will come up with some possible new dates soon. Given that over summer staff are usually super busy with visitors or fires on weekends I'm thinking about perhaps midweek trail days over summer and then reverting back to weekend days for winter. Love to hear peoples thoughts on that idea- hopefully that might be a compromise that would let most people come along to at least a couple of trail days a year.

Whilst I'm at it I might as well make an announcement. Parts of the Royal MTB program have been on hold recently whilst a new ranger was recruited, a requirement that came about from some of the previous staff who have been involved moving to other roles within the organisation.

The new Ranger who is going to be taking on MTB projects is.....

(Drum Roll ):drum:

Me. Which I'm pretty excited about.

I don't want to (and cant really) comment too much about work stuff on my personal account so if anyone wants to have a chat to me about MTB stuff in Royal NP feel free to email me david.croft at environment.nsw.gov.au

Crofty

Last edited:

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Cool, do you get a badge and a gun. ........ oh yeah that's Texas Rangers oops my bad. ..
Congrats on your new job Crofty, good to see someone with passion and experience in the job,
as willsy said, i guess the chair lift and North Shore style trails will be your first projects :whistle:

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congratulations on the new position Crofty.

Mid week build days in summer work for me. Is there any chance this could be in the arvo and evenings with daylight savings? This makes it easier for me to fit around work and also avoids the heat on hot days.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Seeing as the build day for Mill Creek was canceled AGAIN. ........
I went out and cleared the rest of the fallen trees of the single track , someone had
chainsawed the bigger stuff , so it was just a matter of sawing the smaller bits and dragging
them off the track , so order has been restored to our little piece of paradise :clap2:

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Really need some one way trails. Was downright dangerous in there today. Some fat swappa on an old cove thinking he's racing a World Cup dh, no regard for anyone else. So dangerous.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
i thought it was relatively quiet today? the only section that I think is a little dangerous is the bit from blair witch singletrack up to farnell rd crossing. not a lot of forward visibility and you have to be careful when tearing down the corners. it was bloody busy on Saturday and it was 35 degrees so I cant pick it.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really need some one way trails. Was downright dangerous in there today. Some fat swappa on an old cove thinking he's racing a World Cup dh, no regard for anyone else. So dangerous.
The trails would be easier to maintain if they were one directional as well.

Steve Mowle

Likes Bikes
It would be great to see some of the singletrack posted one way. Blair Witch and the section of the Loftus loop, from the tram line, down to the start of the Holy Trail at the creek, needs to be ridden down hill only.
Any comments?

marc.r

Likes Dirt
It would be great to see some of the singletrack posted one way. Blair Witch and the section of the Loftus loop, from the tram line, down to the start of the Holy Trail at the creek, needs to be ridden down hill only.
Any comments?
if anywhere is one way its those bits

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
For safety sake, one way trails make sense but there's not enough
Legal trails for their to be one way only, ,it would and does get very
boring , ,ill also add that i ride at 4:30/5am before work so i ride in what ever direction
I like :pound:

onyabike

Likes Bikes
i thought it was relatively quiet today? the only section that I think is a little dangerous is the bit from blair witch singletrack up to farnell rd crossing. not a lot of forward visibility and you have to be careful when tearing down the corners. it was bloody busy on Saturday and it was 35 degrees so I cant pick it.
Agree, a little log roll over hooked up to a bell on a rope to alert riders coming the other way might be good.
I generally call "rider" when going through there now.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Dates for the Diary

Next Royal MTB volunteer trail days are:

Thursday 12th March and
Saturday 28th March

Sorry its a little late but with the amounts of visitors in the Park and the possibility of staff being sent to fires in January and February its just not feasible to schedule anything earlier.

Couple of other notes, if anyone has not yet signed on as a Royal NP Volunteer email me at david.croft at environment.nsw.gov.au and I will ensure you get the paperwork prior to the day so we can get straight into it.

Meeting place will be the Royal Office Carpark at 159 Farnell Avenue Royal National Park 9:30 both days. We usually work till 12:30-1 ish

I know there is a big network of trails in the Temptation creek area but at this point trail maintenance days can only occur on sanctioned trails. I am happy for suggestions for work sites, if no suggestions come up we will probably do a slow sweep of as much of the area as we can, I've noticed a bit of deposited sand and pine needles in the drains recently on my commutes.

Crofty

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Crofty, good job on getting this up and running again, hopefully
we can get some of the non sanctioned trails sanctioned so work
can begin on those.

Dansmith

Likes Bikes
I'm new to the forum but would definitely be interested in helping out on these maintenance days.
Once the forms are filled out who do we send them to?