NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who’s shown interest in becoming a part of a volunteer track work team for Royal NP. I’ve done some assessment of the track and noted the areas that need the most attention, mostly fixing up some drainage and erosion issues. Thanks to Ben and Elliot for already coming in and doing a bit veg clearing to improve sight lines and removing branches growing at head height.

I want to try and start the first official day on Saturday the 15th of August, we can have a chat about what needs to be done and Mountain biking in the park in general, hopefully get some work done as well. Once everyone’s comfortable in what we’re doing we’ll have a regular day planned maybe once a month, everyone will also be free to contact each other and organise the occasional unofficial bit of work yourselves if you get the urge.

I’ve attached the volunteer rego forms, you’ll need to fill these out and give them to me before you can start work, on the first day is fine. The forms will cover you for insurance purposes and also allow you to get your annual pass.

Let me know what you think about the 15th, I’m thinking 9.30 to 12.30. Fell free to tell anyone else that may be interested.

(Contact Grant Millar, 9542 0633)

Last edited by a moderator:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Sweet, been looking for somewhere to do some building again.

I'm keen to be involved in anything you have on offer, especially planning etc.

(did I miss those forms? Can't seem to see them)

Crofty

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Hi,

I've sent an email to RNP volunteers, but have not yet checked for a reply (as I'm currently at work...).

But anyways, Im keen to start helping out wherever possible.

I cant do Sat 15th, but hopefully next time I can assist.

Will there be any opportunities in the future to put forward ideas for trail development?
A few of my ideas include opening more XC singletrack , and (at the risk of opening a huge can of worms...) a DH trail from the top of Audley...

Last edited:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
(at the risk of opening a huge can of worms...) a DH trail from the top of Audley...
Yeah can of worms is right, in fact anything that involves cutting new trail is pretty much not an option in this instance. Royal is all about existing track pretty much.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Very true...

I realise how hard it will be to get any new tracks cut, especially a DH. But I would like to try make it happen.

As far as existing tracks; I know of a lot of walking tracks in the area that would make for great xc. But again I know how the RNP feels about walkers vs MTBers.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Forms ??

Have the forms been removed ?

*edit: Some technical sections would be good ... maybe in the form of rock armouring to form some rock gardens ... maybe some table tops / water bars ...

Last edited:

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Latest email (sorry I forgot to attach the forms to the original post):

Ranger Grant (Grant.Millar@environment.nsw.gov.au) said:
Hi All,

Just want to make everyone who’s coming on Saturday clear about where to meet (see map below), it’s 9-9.30 in the carpark at the office on Farnell Ave. I’ll provide tea/coffee but bring a snack for morning tea if you like, we’ll probably finish about 12.30.

We’ll have a discussion and introduction session and then do a bit of inspection of the single track in the Temptation Creek area, we’ll then start some work on some of the more degraded areas.

If you don’t have an annual pass tell the person on the toll box that you’re here for a volunteer day and they’ll let you in for free.

I’ll organise the tools but can everyone get their registration forms filled out and hand them to me on the day.

Bring your bikes if you like as we’ll be heading up the trail from the carpark.

The forecast for the day is fine and sunny but if it’s raining on the day I’ll try to contact you all but you should presume it’s called off.

Digitalis

Likes Bikes
Hey guys

I'm pretty interested in helping out, and i'm sure i can get a few mates to come along too, not sure if i can make it this saturday though, do i still have to register ??

Marty

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some technical sections would be good ... maybe in the form of rock armouring to form some rock gardens ... maybe some table tops / water bars ...
Given the history of the tracks in the area, not much chance of that. In any case, there's plenty of work in just fixing up the existing damage for these build days.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Can something be done about the rock spiders that infest the area behind the oval?
Not really within the scope of trail maintenance mate. If you have a specific complaint about the actions of someone then take it to the relevant authorities.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Can't do this Saturday, but keen to get in on future work days. The better we make the existing trails, the better chance we have of increasing access in other areas. See you next time!

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Yeah I think so. We did a heap of work, trimmed a lot of trail and also fixed a couple of nasty mud holes where the drainage really needed work. There was a good turnout as well, I think about 15 or so people so that was good to see.

I'm biased but I thought the attitudes of the NPWS guys were pretty positive too with regards to future work, they seem very keen for lots more of these events and keen for plenty of input from riders as to where things need to be done.

jaybe

Likes Dirt
sounds good.

It would be awesome to open up some more of the park to riding. And have more single track.

It takes input from everyone, not a few. Sounds like a good turn out. Will endevour to make it to a few down the track (sorry for the pun).

abevern

Likes Dirt
It was definitely a good turnout, and a good vibe. I think everyone there came away with a real sense of achievment. Certainly if you ride the "Blair Witch" singletrack section (between Farnell Ave and the railway line), you'll defintely see the improvement.

Like most things government-related, it'll probably take a while before we (as MTBers) see the benefit in terms of increased access, but I'm sure that with continued strong turnouts we'll increase our chances of additional access.

Even if we don't, we can at least reduce the amount of mud puddles we need to ride around.

Turn up, it's definitely worth the effort.

griff0

Squid
I am going out to tackle our handiwork tonight.

Does anyone have any ideas for that eroded bit near the creek that we were looking at at the end of the day. I think we can do better than the suggestion of rounded logs next to the existing steps. People will still ride around them.

Perhaps someone who is out there during the day this weekend could take some photos of the worst bits and post them here. That way anyone with some experience in trail building could make suggestions.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
I am going out to tackle our handiwork tonight.

Does anyone have any ideas for that eroded bit near the creek that we were looking at at the end of the day. I think we can do better than the suggestion of rounded logs next to the existing steps. People will still ride around them.

Perhaps someone who is out there during the day this weekend could take some photos of the worst bits and post them here. That way anyone with some experience in trail building could make suggestions.
If it's the bit I'm thinking of, I reckon the rounded logs are a good idea, with large rocks placed at the end of each step to prevent people riding around. Either that, or a rampy bit at one section of each step to make it easier for plonkers.

griff0

Squid
I agree that you need to have a ramped section because there are always going to be newbies or numpties looking for the easy option.

If we are going to be carting rocks in anyway to channel people perhaps we should just do some proper rock armoring?

(imba.com/resources/trail_building/rock_armoring.html)

We could reinforce the trail out to the left as you exit the creek and then put in an armored hairpin/switchback to the right. That would keep people on the outside of the trail away from the most eroded bit. Also, if we reinforced and improved the natural slope of the trail after the switchback (where the steps are now) it should improve drainage significantly.

Let me know if you are heading out there in the near future, we could meet up for a ride and I could show you what I mean. My idea might end up being too much work for a handful of volunteers anyway.