NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

chica

Likes Dirt
is this Saturday on?

Is there a trail maintenance day this Saturday? I haven't seen anything from Grant yet, have sent an email to him just now but thought I would check with some of you in the know.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From Ranger Grant

Hi All,

Weather permitting we will be running a track maintenance day this coming Saturday. I will be on leave so Darren Lewis will be supervising.

I went for a walk along the track yesterday and it looks like a large volume of water has raced down the track causing some incised erosion in one spot and a large muddy patch in another. This is between the tram tracks and the creek crossing, I think we need a water bar or some sort of drainage above the incised bit and the actual small gully needs filling in with crushed sandstone and rock. I will once again attempt to get some soil delivered to the top of the track near the tram tracks.

Another job for the weekend is to peg out the track diversion above the rock shelf on the northern side of the creek. I have mapped out a bit of rough path with pink and yellow flagging tape, which cuts out the badly eroded rough down hill section above the rock steps. I think the track needs to be mapped out a little better to make sure we are not creating the same problems we did before with steep decents and poor drainage. Hopefully we will have the approvals to build the track done before the October 15th work day which will coincide with a Mountain Bike promotion day in the park where people will be invited to come along and see the track maintenance crew in action as well as participate in a family ride/activity day along Lady Carrington Drive. The Family Ride Day will be to promote the release of the new NPWS Mountain Bike Strategy and Policy.

All the best see you when I return in September.

Grant MIllar
Ranger - Royal Area
Metro South-West Region
National Parks & Wildlife Service
Tel: 02 9542 0618 Fax: 02 9542 1420

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to attend. The bad weather forecast makes it a little easier but I have to do a few things to get ready for a week of travelling around for work. Good luck with everything tomorrow.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Only had 2 turn up, guess the weather put a lot of people off. Cleared the drains between tram tracks and TC, small amount of rock armouring just below the rock step on the other side of the creek, and checked out Grant's flagging for the proposed re-route. There is a deep rut between the tram lines and TC that looks like it may have been made by a motorbike; it will need a fair amount of material to fill and armour. In fact, a large section of that track could do with building up a little, but obviously we need materials to do so.

Hopefully a bigger turn out next month and we can get more work done.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Disappointing but unsurprising... sorry I couldn't make it. I was in the Southern Highlands for a race - bought back a load of dirt which may be useful for trail maintenance. Just need to wash it out of my gears first... :)

abevern

Likes Dirt
From Ranger Grant - Saturday Postponed until next week!

Just received, in case you were thinking of coming along...

Hi All,

I’ve just got back from having three weeks off and realised that there was a track maintenance day due this Saturday. We really don’t have the staff resources available this weekend so I suggest we postpone this months day until next weekend when I’m rostered on and will have time to organise delivery of a new supply of crushed sandstone. I’ll also have time to go out and look at the worst of the erosion that seems to have appeared over the last couple of months particularly on the way down to the creek from the railway tracks.

Will anyone be available next Saturday the 24[SUP]th[/SUP] if I re-schedule? In any case this weekend won’t go ahead officially if you were planning to show up.

Regards,

Grant MIllar
Ranger - Royal Area
Metro South-West Region
National Parks & Wildlife Service
Tel: 02 9542 0618 Fax: 02 9542 1420

willsy01

Eats Squid
He's in for a shock when he sees what the tram museum folk have done to the firetrail along side the tram lines......

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was all set to go and then explore some potential tracks at Appin afterwards. Now I'll just head to Appin, without commenting on the NPWS RNP organisation compared to other priority project areas like Glenrock! :mmph:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A small but very enthusiastic group turned up this morning. Some good organisation ensured we had some great earth to work with when filling and copmpacting rutts and putting in drainage to hopefully prevent, or at least slow, the creation of rutts again. We also flagged out a reroute with Ranger Grant in the hopes of everything being ready to go next month.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Time Lapse Time

Unfortunately, I only got the last 45 minutes or so of works, as the memory card filled up, and I was forced to delete everything up to that point so that I could at least capture the end product. If you're particularly observant you'll get to see the burying of the sandstone anchor right at the start of the video. After that there's the shaping of the grade reversal, and the forming of the drainage to the RHS of it.
I've got some video of the flagged out trail diversion to come. I'm going to try and waste several cpu-days to make the path a bit more obvious. It's possible it'll be faster to make it more obvious with shovels/rakes, so no promises.
fingers crossed on video link... :)

[video=vimeo;29780093]http://vimeo.com/29780093[/video]

Last edited:

willsy01

Eats Squid
Rode through Temptation Creek yesterday....someone has pushed over about a half a dozen small trees on the northern side (steeper side) of the trail. Interesting that it coincides with school holidays :mad2:

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Can't make this one unfortunately (well I could, but I'd be getting a divorce on Monday if I did!). Have fun, and see you all at the next track day..

metrics

Likes Bikes
Anyone have any gut feeling as to whether tomorrow will still be on with the weather? Pouring down where I am.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk