NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I have a dud knee and doc says I don't get to play. Might get out for a look but can't do any work.
Sucks big time.

abevern

Likes Dirt

Well, it's amazing what a small team can accomplish. We had a new face who ran a wheelbarrow all morning (thanks onya!), between that and another barrow we shifted about 16 barrows worth and incorporated it into the trail surface. Also shaped a few embryonic drains (which will probably need a revisit once the trail is opened) and generally fiddled with some contour. Photos below are in order walking "down", each one is taken from around where the preceding one finishes. Because of the limited supply of barrow-loads, we missed sections which would be under lighter load (e.g. straight/flat sections) and prioritised cornering/braking areas.
Trail is still not open, but should be ready to roll with another work day. Overall there wasn't as many riders out as normal, so it's good to see some people stay away from riding as well as trail maintenance. Generally speaking the trails were very wet, with significant mud sections in the upper flat section (wheelbarrow drift!)
Pic 1 Downhill LH corner. Note slight camber change to drain mid pic. TrailMaint 004.jpg TrailMaint 006.jpg
Pic 3
Downhill section, over rocks in the middle. Fill added in soft section in distance for braking/direction change. TrailMaint 007.jpg
Pic 4 Drain in foreground and also distance (both exit trail-right). This is also slightly downhill along the trail, and the ground slopes from left to right. TrailMaint 008.jpg
Pic 5 Tightest corner and probably the softest ground. Also a significant outslope and bad camber. We built the corner up a bit, lined with some scavenged rocks with the hope of adding some stability. I think this is likely to be the first "problem point" once the trail opens, although a lot depends on how well the crushed sandstone/clay mixes with the base sand. It will be interesting to see. TrailMaint 009.jpg
Pic 6 The rock bridge over the Angophora roots. Looks like God built it. Boo ya us! TrailMaint 010.jpg

barron

Likes Dirt
Helping hand

Great to see there is ongoing track work in the Park.

I live at Maianbar and keen to be invloved, fairly new to MTB world and absolute novice at track building but can wield a shovel with the best and not too full of myself to take direction.

Not sure if there is a co-ordinator of this thread or the work but throwing my services at your feet. Saw at start of thread there needs to be volunteer forms completed, is this still required? how where to do this? is there any work done outside of designated work days?

I'll book in 19/5/12 for a morning workout. Whoever's in charge let me kow if I need do something first.

Cheers

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Great to see there is ongoing track work in the Park.

I live at Maianbar and keen to be invloved, fairly new to MTB world and absolute novice at track building but can wield a shovel with the best and not too full of myself to take direction.

Not sure if there is a co-ordinator of this thread or the work but throwing my services at your feet. Saw at start of thread there needs to be volunteer forms completed, is this still required? how where to do this? is there any work done outside of designated work days?

I'll book in 19/5/12 for a morning workout. Whoever's in charge let me kow if I need do something first.

Cheers
Sweet, all you need to do is come along on the day and the Ranger will have the paperwork for you to fill in and then you are good to go.

A couple of us occasionally go and do work outside the normal traildays, keep an eye on this thread as we often try and post here if its happening.

Bev, that's some nice work there dude, wish i could have come. I should be out of my brace by next month, hopefully will be able to come and do something.

barron

Likes Dirt
Cheers, will do.
good luck with recovery.

Sweet, all you need to do is come along on the day and the Ranger will have the paperwork for you to fill in and then you are good to go.

A couple of us occasionally go and do work outside the normal traildays, keep an eye on this thread as we often try and post here if its happening.

Bev, that's some nice work there dude, wish i could have come. I should be out of my brace by next month, hopefully will be able to come and do something.

Ben-ya-min

Likes Dirt
Keen

hey fellow Rotorburners!
I found this thread a while ago and was always meaning to come along and help out but it never happened.

I am quite keen to come out on the 19th may but there is a catch (isn't there always!)
I am studying Geography as part of my senior studies in yr 11 at St John Bosco College Engadine and we have a major project that we are working on and coming from a MTB background i have decided on the topic "Advantages and disadvantages of mountain bike access to the loftus/greys point fire trail in the royal national park"
Basicly i need some opinions observations and some feedback from the local mtb users! Also i need to provide sustainable solutions to enviromental issues caused by mtb activity on the trails and what better place and people to talk to than a trail maintenance group such as yourselves.

So if you don't mind a few (a lot) of questions during the build day i would be more than happy to tag along and help maintain the trails we all love to use.

logistically does everyone meet at the old visitors center or the soccer field or a trail head or how does that all work?
BYO tools?

Thanks heaps!

Ben Jamieson

abevern

Likes Dirt

So if you don't mind a few (a lot) of questions during the build day i would be more than happy to tag along and help maintain the trails we all love to use.

logistically does everyone meet at the old visitors center or the soccer field or a trail head or how does that all work?
BYO tools?

Thanks heaps!

Ben Jamieson
come along! Always happy to talk trail with people - though you'll probably only find people pro-mountain biking :)

Tools are provided or bring your own if you have a favorite..
If you have work/garden gloves, bring them or we can usually supply a pair if you don't.

Yes to meeting at old visitor centre in carpark at 9am.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Anybody able to confirm if build day is still on?
and
What is the meet up point?

Cheers.
Am seeking confirmation currently. No reason to believe it wouldn't go ahead...
9am in the carpark off Farnell Ave at the old visitor centre.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Maintenance Cancelled

All, I just received a call from one of the rangers, unfortunately there is no one to supervise us tomorrow, so the day will be cancelled. An email notification has been sent to those who have subscribed which is included below. Barron and Ben - sorry that your debut has been delayed. I hope you'll be able to make next month.

Any information about a rescheduled day will be posted here.

Ranger Grant said:
Unfortunately due to the unavailability of staff because of illness or being away on hazard reduction fire duties, tomorrows mountain bike track day will be postponed.

We may be able to reschedule the day for one of the following weekends before next months scheduled event if we are able to. We will get that track finished eventually.

Thanks for your continued support in helping to maintain the tracks in Royal.

Regards,

Grant Millar
Metro South-West Region
National Parks & Wildlife Service

duncans

Squid
I was hoping to get along, but I guess not tomorrow.
I read somewhere to email to let them know re: attendance - is this still the case n if so what is the email address?

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Sorry guys, I had been pencilled in to help supervise the day but I've been called away to a commitment with the Rural Fire service tomorrow and I don't think they could get anyone else.

Speaking of such things there is a Large Hazard Reduction planned for the whole Loftus Creek area on the 26th and 27th May, riders should avoid the whole area as it might be on fire. I will chase more details and post them here.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All, I just received a call from one of the rangers, unfortunately there is no one to supervise us tomorrow, so the day will be cancelled.
How long until the RNP allows regular maintenance volunteers to do a little maintenance on their own, like they do at Glenrock? I can think of at least one person that has attended a nearly all of the maintenance days over the past two or so years and demonstrates at almost every maintenance day the ability to lead the small group of volunteers. Surely they could be allowed to complete some small maintenance jobs, with a small group, unsupervised by NPWS?

willsy01

Eats Squid
I wish i'd checked this before leaving the office......I turned down post work beers so I wouldn't be dusty in the morning :(