NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Yep, if you are planning to come to a build day print them, sign them and bring the forms. It will speed things up in the morning.

Northo

Cannon Fodder
Blair Witch

As this area is getting more crowded, I really think Blair Witch needs to be made one way. Too many people riding uphill on a single track which is dangerous, particularly at the top and bottom. Isn't it natural to roll downhill on a single track? Too many people without basic manners that do not yield, but barge on through. Someone is going to get hurt.

I always thought the etiquette was that the down hiller had right of way. Is this the case?

Doesn't worry me too much as I slow down both ways but too many STRAVA slaves out there that can't slow down to smell the roses.:fencing:

kand

Likes Dirt
I always thought the etiquette was that the down hiller had right of way. Is this the case?
The person riding up the hill has the right of way ( as read by me in mountainbike magazines). That is, as it is harder to restart riding as opposed for the person coming down the hill

Northo

Cannon Fodder
The person riding up the hill has the right of way ( as read by me in mountainbike magazines). That is, as it is harder to restart riding as opposed for the person coming down the hill
This is good to know. Thanks for reply.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is good to know. Thanks for reply.
That is a rule that IMBA, among others recommend. It is a direct poach from the rules of driving on icy roads. It has little relevance to MTB where the uphill rider has more chance of seeing, hearing or reacting to a rider approaching from above. The only way to be fair about right of way on 2 way trail is to demand everyone give way to everyone else.

Meeting someone on a trail is meant to be a cause for social interaction, not rights, wrongs and conflict. Unless a trail is totally unsafe as a 2 way trail (e.g. Cannonball Thredbo), I don't like the concept of one way trail. It immediately raises conflict and "rights" in the inevitable event of meeting someone going the other way. That then raises legal ramifications for everyone involved, including the land manager and perhaps trail care volunteers. One way trail also enhances a racing mentality. Those who choose one way trail over 2 way are just as unimpressed coming up behind a slow rider as they are meeting them in the opposite direction.

When you add all that into potentially losing half the length of trail in your local system, I would be very guarded in chasing the one way trail genie.

dane83

Squid
That is a rule that IMBA, among others recommend. It is a direct poach from the rules of driving on icy roads. It has little relevance to MTB where the uphill rider has more chance of seeing, hearing or reacting to a rider approaching from above. The only way to be fair about right of way on 2 way trail is to demand everyone give way to everyone else.

Meeting someone on a trail is meant to be a cause for social interaction, not rights, wrongs and conflict. Unless a trail is totally unsafe as a 2 way trail (e.g. Cannonball Thredbo), I don't like the concept of one way trail. It immediately raises conflict and "rights" in the inevitable event of meeting someone going the other way. That then raises legal ramifications for everyone involved, including the land manager and perhaps trail care volunteers. One way trail also enhances a racing mentality. Those who choose one way trail over 2 way are just as unimpressed coming up behind a slow rider as they are meeting them in the opposite direction.

When you add all that into potentially losing half the length of trail in your local system, I would be very guarded in chasing the one way trail genie.
I agree with Ridenparadise re. everyone giving way to each other on two way trails, this is the only sensible approach. I do however respect the IMBA recommendation of downhill giving way to uphill. Depending on how steep/technical the climb is, sometimes it is easier to change your line when heading downhill - Babyhead downhill at loftus comes to mind. Changing your line on this one when climbing can be challenging to say the least.

Obviously every trail situation can be different, so the idea of everyone giving way is the only way that works. Keep you head up and eyes open people!

Loftus doesn't have enough trail to start making parts one way either, but I do try to avoid riding up blair witch as much as possible because I agree that it's just too tight to be passing riders coming the other way & riding it in the downhill direction seems to be the more popular way.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
There's also a few blind corners on that section of track.. I'm always nervous going up it, and try to listen out for downward bound riders, but sometimes it's hard to tell.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Trail day on 12th Cancelled. See next post.

Sorry but the trail day on the 12th is cancelled- see post below. Suggestions still welcomed for works for next trail day.

Hi all,

First trail day of the new year is coming up next Thursday 12th. Could anyone planning to attend please reply here or email david.croft at environment.nsw.gov.au so I can plan catering, logistics and tools.

Happy to take suggestions for projects to work on too- bearing in mind that these work days can only occur on sanctioned trails.

If there are no other suggestions then we might work on the reroute that was put in a year or so ago. Its looking good but there needs a bit of drainage work done just to keep it running well. I know there is a tree down on this at the moment- I plan to get rid of that in the next day or so.

Also- for future reference I'm looking for some input on the rocky roll down section just below where the reroute joins the trail again. I see that the 5th line down this feature has recently appeared (far right in photo below) and is rapidly degrading. There seems to be a pattern at this site of riding a line in and then when it errodes too much putting a new line in and so on and so on. It would be nice to properly formalise the lines here. Picture below for reference - perhaps if there is some input it might be a project for the work day on the 28th March.

20150304_173433.jpg

Last edited:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Trail Day on 12th Cancelled

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the late notice but the trail day scheduled for the 12th March (this coming Thursday) is cancelled. NPWS Royal Area are planning to conduct a big hazard reduction burn near Bundeena on Thursday and all staff including myself will be involved.

Next build day will be Saturday 28th March.

Crofty

CraigM81

Likes Bikes
Also- for future reference I'm looking for some input on the rocky roll down section just below where the reroute joins the trail again. I see that the 5th line down this feature has recently appeared (far right in photo below) and is rapidly degrading. There seems to be a pattern at this site of riding a line in and then when it errodes too much putting a new line in and so on and so on. It would be nice to properly formalise the lines here. Picture below for reference - perhaps if there is some input it might be a project for the work day on the 28th March.

View attachment 309260
I believe most are using that to go up. I would recommend cutting a separate up-trail for that section that rejoins the main trail at the top near the wood step

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From the February general meeting of the Friends of the Royal

"A mountain bike strategy for the Heathcote to Temptation Creek area has commenced and will be completed by July 2015; some tracks will be closed, some upgraded."

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Show of hands for the workday this coming Saturday? I need to sort catering and work out how many tools to bring.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Crofty, where abouts will you be doing the work?
I can get there about 10....
Kids soccer stars at 9
Unless there are other suggestions probably the section shown in the photos above and the new diversion section just above it. If you need ring my work mobile o427 754 988 if you need to find us.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Is that section the North side of temptation ?
Also if your catering make sure you order a extra packet
of iced vovo's.....
I've seen what you can do to a packet of them. ......
Very impressive :hungry::hungry::hungry: