NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Next workday Saturday 6th June. Rockwork.

Lots of big rocks. I think we will be able to do some good work with this.

vovo rock.jpg

pile of rocks.jpg

Next workday is Saturday 6th June- these rocks need a home in the trail.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If anyone can make it to the Friends of the Royal meeting this Thursday, mountrain bikes is on the agenda...

FRIENDS OF THE ROYAL NATIONAL PARK INCORPORATED

GENERAL MEETING
To be held on Thursday 23 April 2015 at 4pm at
Royal Area Meeting Room, Farnell Avenue, Royal National Park

AGENDA

Preliminaries
Acknowledgement of Country.
Introductions.
Apologies.

Routine Business
Adoption of the minutes of the previous meeting.
Matters arising from the minutes of the previous meeting.
Correspondence.
Treasurer’s report.

Other Business
Seminars and Guest Speakers.
Sub-committee reports – if there have been any developments since the last meeting.
Proposed changes to the constitution.
Mountain bikes.

5. 30pm General Business

6.00pm Close meeting

NOTICES

Next General Meeting
Thursdays 24 June 2015 at 4pm.
Probably as a result of some correspondence at the last meeting. These points are in the minutes for the previous meeting...

Correspondence• From Paul Serena (16.11.14) concerned about mountain bike damage in Temptation Creek area.

• NPWS has commenced the development of a mountain bike strategy for Royal National Park. The plan extends from Heathcote to Temptation Creek. The plan will be completed by July 2015. An outcome of the plan is that some tracks will be closed, some upgraded.

2 Mountain bikes in the Royal
Ranger David Crofts told the meetings about the work that is underway with research and consultations connected with the planning and management of mountain bike activities and facilities in the Park. He said that $20,000 has been allocated this financial year to assess the situation and formulate responses for the Temptation Creek area. Some external correspondence about mountain bike activity has been received and will be tabled at the 26 February General Meeting.

Last edited:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Trail maintenance closures Loftus Area - Temptation Creek Trail

Hi All.

There will be periodic trail closures of the Temptation Creek Track behind loftus oval for the next few weeks whilst trail work is undertaken.

More info here.

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/Royal-National-Park/Local-alerts

There is also a trail day coming up this coming Saturday 6th. We will be working with the trail company doing the works to put some big rocks that were collected last workday into place. Please RSVP to david.croft at environment.nsw.gov.au for the trailday- numbers will be limited for this special event.

Crofty.

gia00

Cannon Fodder
im keen to help hopefully we can make more enduro/dh style trails cz the single tracks are getting boring and too easy!

marc.r

Likes Dirt
im keen to help hopefully we can make more enduro/dh style trails cz the single tracks are getting boring and too easy!

whaaaaaaa there is a couple tracks out there that make me wet my pants. logarithm i think is the one with the bigger a lines, the b lines are fine but if you hit all the a lines thats a big track. and there is another that I dont know the name of that has 8ft drop to 8ft drop with about a 2ft landing to compose yourself that meets up with the cliff track. there is another route on the eastern side with a bunch of big drops that spits you out to holy trail.

if you can hit all of those and call them easy I take my hat off to you sir!

marc.r

Likes Dirt
for anyone who wants to re-lace their wheels now is a great time to hit the single tracks south of temptation creek :-(. someone has put a bunch of sticks/branches over the tracks every 50 meters or so. mostly you can just ride over but some are spoke killers if you hit them at the wrong point/angle. I removed some of the handy work, sorry if I have ruined someones hard work. I guess someone was trying to keep people from ridding the tracks when they were too wet??? seems a silly way to do it.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
thanks for the heads up Mark, it's a bit of a strange one,I've never seen
any evidence of any other "sabotage " at any other time .......
I was going to go along there in the morning ,may give it a miss

Cronar

Likes Dirt
I removed some of their handy work too. Seems like they were fairly motivated it was pretty widespread, they even snapped a semi-live tree to block the track. I live next to the park and mostly ride during the week so i'll keep an eye out.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Meeting time for Saturday's trailday is 9am at Loftus Oval Carpark (not the parks office like normal)

Bring water and snacks and sensible shoes - we will be working with large rocks this workday so work gloves if you have them otherwise i will bring some.

Please email me david.croft @ environment.nsw.gov.au if you are coming so I can cater and plan the day.

I will have sign on forms there on the day to sign people up as volunteers if you have never done the paperwork.

Crofty

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From https://www.facebook.com/groups/sydneymtb/permalink/978758228862647/

SAVE ROYAL NATIONAL PARK TRAILS – if we don’t act SOON, we may lose access to many of the legal (and yet-to-be-legal) trails that many of our members and their families know and love.
What does ‘acting soon’ look like? Hint: it’s not participating in the echo-chamber of our own club Facebook page (although it’s nice to be able to vent our feelings to a friendly audience).
The opponents of MTB access – and there are many – are typically older, more politically savvy, and more patient than many of us. They don’t hang around on social media, they take time to find the right people to write to in both government and newspapers, and they send emails and letters en masse.
Right now, their voice to official and non-mtb channels is drowning out ours 10:1. That isn’t a turn of phrase, that is the figure that a public servant gave me this morning.
There are people out there who want to remove access to existing (legal) trails, and ensure the not-yet-legal trails are never legitimised. We need to act now to ensure that this does not happen.
Even if you don’t live locally or ride Royal National Park, you can show some solidarity with your fellow riders.
So, take 5-10 minutes to do something about it now.
Here’s the points system for various courses of action:
Posting on Facebook: *0 points*
Tweeting using hashtag ‪#‎royalmtbriders‬: *1 point*
Actually emailing NPWS representative David Croft on David.Croft@environment.nsw.gov.au: *100,000 points*
Sending an email to Mark Speakman, NSW Minister for the Environment (and Member for Cronulla) via cronulla@parliament.nsw.gov.au: *200,000 points*
Signing the petition here https://www.change.org/p/david-croft-environment-nsw-gov-au…: *100,000 points*
As you can see, points are allocated on a usefulness-to-getting-an-outcome basis.
Note: writing inflammatory or insulting comments about the opposing side: 50% point deduction.
In your writing, you should talk about what riding means to you, why you love Royal NP, how much you care for the environment, and how much you want to see legitimate access provided to an expanded network of trails (or something like that). See Jason Donnellan's post on the other related thread for a good example of persuasive writing.
There you go, nice and easy – get to it, then come back here to post your total point score!

https://www.change.org/p/david-crof...ource=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink:

Last edited:

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
crank,i think we need to ask crofty his take on this...
as far as loosing access is concerned, i was under the impression that there was a (scope of works) type document/plan already?
but your right about the fact that, this type of group is more savvy
than your typical mtb'er.....
but it's also just one user group trying to push it's
(because we say it's right, its right ) ideology/mentality

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry mate. I should have quoted it all. I didn't type it originally.

crank,i think we need to ask crofty his take on this...
as far as loosing access is concerned, i was under the impression that there was a (scope of works) type document/plan already?
but your right about the fact that, this type of group is more savvy
than your typical mtb'er.....
but it's also just one user group trying to push it's
(because we say it's right, its right ) ideology/mentality

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
no worries crank....
I've emailed crofty to ask him if he could post up a reply......
just to let us know what the article in the Leader was all about and
if i actually means anything at all