NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

abevern

Likes Dirt
To be fair, I've seen some of the newer unofficial paths and was/am horrified at their construction and routing decisions. It would be very easy for those against MTB to use those same trails against all of us. So hats off to the #^<kheads doing it.
No doubt we need more trails in Sydney basin - a big thanks to the people working tirelessly to make that happen - but to be taken seriously as "low impact nature lovers" the ill-considered trails need to be called out and shutdown. You're not a friend of the greater community of riders if you're building or using these trails.

kand

Likes Dirt
To be fair, I've seen some of the newer unofficial paths and was/am horrified at their construction and routing decisions. It would be very easy for those against MTB to use those same trails against all of us. So hats off to the #^<kheads doing it.
No doubt we need more trails in Sydney basin - a big thanks to the people working tirelessly to make that happen - but to be taken seriously as "low impact nature lovers" the ill-considered trails need to be called out and shutdown. You're not a friend of the greater community of riders if you're building or using these trails.
My sentiments exactly. Some of the trails need to go or at best be rerouted.

Can someone please explain which are the "official" and "unofficial" trails. I ride there most weeks and I'm yet to see any official looking signage. How do you know if you're on an official trail or an unofficial trail if theres no signage???

Ps I also find it somewhat disingenuous to ask people to fill in that survey openly then use that survey to identify and destroy trails. Hardly promotes an honest and productive dialogue.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
super..... another group with a axe to grind......:yell:
does anyone like us anymore.....
and just when when i though we were mainstream.....:bounce:

abevern

Likes Dirt
Can someone please explain which are the "official" and "unofficial" trails. I ride there most weeks and I'm yet to see any official looking signage. How do you know if you're on an official trail or an unofficial trail if theres no signage???
Sadly, there is very little legitimate single track. Something like 1.2km comes to mind. This is undoubtedly a significant driver for the proliferation of illicit trails.

Pretty sure all the legitimate trails have a post with a bicycle logo on them. Anything with a name stenciled on a rock or log, or a sign nailed to a tree, or with a naked sign post (which likely had a no bikes sign previously) is illicit.

I think NPWS did a trail map, but can't be sure.

abevern

Likes Dirt
More from the Leader

Thanks for posting jda.

It's disappointing to be vilified in the local paper- but really her last paragraph is spot on.

Note that they're not saying "no bikes" - they're just abhorred by the willful destruction (as we should all be) and want future trails to be well- considered.

These are people we need to embrace and educate. "Yes, we agree" and "have you heard of IMBA standards?"

Thousands of man hours have gone into formulation and validation of the IMBA methods. When applied correctly, they are consistent with conservation values.

This is the message we need to get out. We can all do a bit to make it happen.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Ps I also find it somewhat disingenuous to ask people to fill in that survey openly then use that survey to identify and destroy trails. Hardly promotes an honest and productive dialogue.
Danny the NPA and the NPWS are 2 different organisations. Ring 9542 o669 early next week and I can give you info on where to find the legal trail map.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Bev! Good to hear from you. Ill give you a call next week- would be good to have a chat.
Crofty

markb84

Likes Dirt
Thanks for posting jda.

It's disappointing to be vilified in the local paper- but really her last paragraph is spot on.

Note that they're not saying "no bikes" - they're just abhorred by the willful destruction (as we should all be) and want future trails to be well- considered.

These are people we need to embrace and educate. "Yes, we agree" and "have you heard of IMBA standards?"

Thousands of man hours have gone into formulation and validation of the IMBA methods. When applied correctly, they are consistent with conservation values.

This is the message we need to get out. We can all do a bit to make it happen.
Completely agree Bev. Poorly considered illegal trails with nails in trees, etc do nothing but make the work harder for those of us who try and get more trails legitimately.

I'd love more trails, but there''s no benefit in more trails if they are unsustainable. They're great for a week, a month, maybe 6, but then they're unrideable and either need shutting down or completely rebuilding. Well considered, well built trails may require a bit of tweaking and adjustment at first but can last for years with little maintenance.

Saundy

Cannon Fodder
hey there all ....

Not sure if i missed read it... cannot find any current information, but is there any once a month or weekly etc building in the rnp
that people can come help ? i'm local to the area and would love to give back to what i use

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Volunteer trail days for the next few months

Here are the dates for the volunteer MTB workdays in Royal NP for the next few months. Meet at 9:30 in the car park of the Royal Area Office which is at 159 Farnell Avenue (if you put that in google maps it will show up exactly). Wear work clothes and gear that can get dirty. Bring water and snacks if you want. NPWS will supply tools and have some gloves if people need. Anyone coming along needs to sign on as a volunteer if they haven’t already. Staff will bring paperwork on the day and it doesn't take long to fill out. Workdays usually go from 9:30 to lunchtime-ish. Workdays occur on sanctioned trails only.

Dates are
Thursday 14th July
Saturday 30th July
Saturday 13th August
Thursday 8th September.

Can people please rsvp for the workdays by calling 9542 0669

sbm

Likes Bikes
Hey,

I went for my first mountain bike ride at Loftus a couple of months ago, and am now completely hooked. I was blown away by the work that had been done on the trails, thanks guys! I'm keen to help out the next day I can make - I'll see what I can do. Wish I'd found this sooner, as I would have been free on the 14th. I've done bushcare and cragcare work before so hope I have a good idea of what to expect.