Trail maps

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a map from an adventure race and it has fire trails marked on it. Where do they get these from? Google search just gives me a load of results linking to the rural fire service info about fire trails, not actual maps.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Where are you? In Victoria you can get onto the departments of environment and primary industries website and use their forest explorer map service (just Google forest explorer) it shows all fire trails although some bits are out of date a little bit but it is useful.

I imagine most states have a similar service (apart from QLD which doesn't even have a reliable state mapping service - i spent a year looking)

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where are you? In Victoria you can get onto the departments of environment and primary industries website and use their forest explorer map service (just Google forest explorer) it shows all fire trails although some bits are out of date a little bit but it is useful.

I imagine most states have a similar service (apart from QLD which doesn't even have a reliable state mapping service - i spent a year looking)
I am in nsw. I will have a loom around thanks for the tip off.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
In NSW the go to site for fire trails is www.six.nsw.gov.au which is the government spatial site. [edit: SNAP!!!]

Forest Explorer on the DEPI site is the one to check out in Victoria however if you google Spatial Vision you can also find paper copies of the Victorian Fire Maps as used by the CFA and emergency services as a range of books.

Otherwise...try signing up for Nearmap for some hi-res goodness especially on the east coast.

Last edited:

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That SIX site is SICK! Thanks very much. Hours of interesting stuff to look at on there.

redbruce

Eats Squid
What about maps for Tasmania (specifically overland track area) for loading into a GPS (walking there next Feb)?

Last edited:

Jimmy_Bend

Likes Bikes
Hello,

I have acquired some useful maps for myself (in victoria) of my local area which i acquired of the local orienteering club. If you speak to one of the area you are interested in they may also be willing to provide you a map or point you in the right direction. Also maps they provide are very detailed and show contortion lines [sorry if incorrect name] (elevation, steepness) etc which can help you evaluate tracks before riding them or potentially highlight any which may be present?

Just my bob's worth.