Trail Recommendations

danton45

Likes Bikes
Planning a Holiday focused on MTB riding.

We are basically Cross Country riders, so something with flowing Single tracks would suit. Don't mind (enjoy) climbing but avoid hardcore rocky stuff/big drops etc.

We really love Tathra in NSW, but have been there a few times and after something different.

Would need to be within a 8 hour drive from Melbourne.

Thinking possibly Canberra or Jindabyne (if not too hardcore)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Canberra has Sparrow Hill / Kowen Forest which share a trail head and 100km of the type of riding you describe.

Stromlo has plenty of friendly terrain, as does Majura Pines.

You could detour to Bright on the way there or back too.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Canberra is really good but NE Vic has lots of areas I can recommend.
If you want xc try Beechworth mtbike park its small but good, Yackandandah totally flowy hand made single track only intermediate XC, large area about 70 kms worth, you can PM me, and Mt Beauty.
The lower parts of Bright and intermediate tracks at Falls creek ie dont do the shuttles to the top if you dont like rocks.

padams10003

Likes Dirt
Canberra is really good but NE Vic has lots of areas I can recommend.
If you want xc try Beechworth mtbike park its small but good, Yackandandah totally flowy hand made single track only intermediate XC, large area about 70 kms worth, you can PM me, and Mt Beauty.
The lower parts of Bright and intermediate tracks at Falls creek ie dont do the shuttles to the top if you dont like rocks.
Would probably avoid Beechworth MTB park as well if you don't like rocks.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I'm just going to tack on the back of this thread...We are going to be travelling home from Mt Macedon > Sydney over the Easter break and I have negotiated a stay somewhere to break up the trip, will probably only have a half day or two to ride as will have the nippers in tow so trails will need to be close to Airbnbs.

Recommendations to stay? Beechworth, Bright, Beauty, Falls Creek?

Won't be riding DH as I'll be riding by myself and don't really want to axe myself on unknown trails so will be more trail, all mountain stuff.

Other option is to take a slight detour and go via Thredbo which is pretty appealing tbh.

Last edited:

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Thredbo is a good stopoff for a family, there's the chairlift and the toboggan which are good fun for everyone. There's also an indoor pool. I really enjoyed the main loop at the Beechworth MTB park, it is a bit rocky but as rowdyflat said, they are very civilised rocks... i.e. easy to roll over.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thredbo is a good stopoff for a family, there's the chairlift and the toboggan which are good fun for everyone. There's also an indoor pool. I really enjoyed the main loop at the Beechworth MTB park, it is a bit rocky but as rowdyflat said, they are very civilised rocks... i.e. easy to roll over.
Except its already started snowing and the bike tracks maybe shut. Ring to check first. You might be better off in Jindabyne.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Except its already started snowing and the bike tracks maybe shut. Ring to check first. You might be better off in Jindabyne.

Was kinda thinking if the weather had set in at Thredbo of staying at Jindi getting driven up one morning and riding back to meet the family later on.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
If you stay at Crackenback resort, they'll shuttle you up to Thredbo and you can ride back to your room via the TVT after doing chairlift runs at the end of the day. Plenty for the kids to do at the resort while you ride too.

Trail status updated here:

We stayed on the weekend. Snow was nice!

Very much recommend lunch at Wild Brumby distillery, but book well in advance...

nzhumpy

Just had a looksey at their site, looks good, plenty there to keep the kids happy which would buy me a few more hours up the road...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Just had a looksey at their site, looks good, plenty there to keep the kids happy which would buy me a few more hours up the road...
It's really quite nice, there are also some mellow trails running through and around the resort if the kids are into biking.

Big trampolines, archery, lots to explore, wildlife everywhere.

If you can get breakfast included the buffet is really good, and you can stuff yourself with enough food to last til dinner.

If eating dinner there, the cheaper restaurant is better value.

For cheaper accommodation there are a couple of camp sites up the road toward Thredbo which are very nice too, and the TVT goes right past them.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

They get sporatic snow there all year, have seen it on Christmas day. I'd be surprised if they shut early because things get a little muddy.

nzhumpy

It's really quite nice, there are also some mellow trails running through and around the resort if the kids are into biking.

Big trampolines, archery, lots to explore, wildlife everywhere.

If you can get breakfast included the buffet is really good, and you can stuff yourself with enough food to last til dinner.

If eating dinner there, the cheaper restaurant is better value.

For cheaper accommodation there are a couple of camp sites up the road toward Thredbo which are very nice too, and the TVT goes right past them.
Thanks for the info, we are taking the kids bikes but they might be a bit over them after 10 or so days in Vic around Wombat/Harcourt/Macedon etc, I think tramps archery and roos well hold greater appeal.

Camping won't be an option so it'll be a few nights in the resort, menus look exxy for what they offer but that's normal mountain tax. Might get a room with a kitchenette so we can semi self cater.

What's the go with secure bike storage, not keen on leaving them hanging on the car at nights.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Camping won't be an option so it'll be a few nights in the resort, menus look exxy for what they offer but that's normal mountain tax. Might get a room with a kitchenette so we can semi self cater.

What's the go with secure bike storage, not keen on leaving them hanging on the car at nights.
We had dinner at Cuisine, which wasn't really worth it even with the $100 voucher that came with our deal. But as mentioned, the breakfast buffet's a cracker.

We stayed in a studio, which was a cheaper option but still had two bedrooms, kitchen and a lock up garage, so you'll have no problem with bike storage.

We just took whatever was allocated, but I'm sure you can request to make sure. Not sure if all studios have two bedrooms.

nzhumpy

We had dinner at Cuisine, which wasn't really worth it even with the $100 voucher that came with our deal. But as mentioned, the breakfast buffet's a cracker.

We stayed in a studio, which was a cheaper option but still had two bedrooms, kitchen and a lock up garage, so you'll have no problem with bike storage.

We just took whatever was allocated, but I'm sure you can request to make sure. Not sure if all studios have two bedrooms.
Looks like the same deal I'm looking at...seems I'm talking myself into this more than Beechworth etc, although doesn't BW have a brewery.

* haven't even discussed this with swmbo yet, she only said she'd like to break up the drive home.

*plans subject to change

nzhumpy

i like Yack in northern vic
Also on the radar but I know SFA about the place, can the kids and +1 hang there for a few hours while I'm away doing bike stuff and trails accessible by pedal , I reckon +1 will shuttle once but that'll be it, after that on on my lonesome.