Trailbuilding tools and plant

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've used the Rogue Hoe a few times now, having taken it out with the McLeod. The McLeod has a wider head and is much better for moving sand off the track, but the Rogue Hoe gets through the soft stuff beautifully and scrapes so much better. It's like the difference between a Stanley smoothing plane and a Lie-Neilsen bronze smoothing plane.

SUNDAY

Likes Bikes
I should just post the photo but here goes.
You can buy a short handle (only about 400mm), 3 pronge rake from Bunnings. It has an Orange stained handle with Chrome prongs. When clearing/cleaning a trail it is perfect as a clearing tool in the opposite hand to a machete or saw. Hack with the Machete and pick it up/swing it away with the 'Claw'. Saves getting covered in scratches from the prickley crap we have around here and the extra reach it gives saves your back from bending over. Cheap, effective and easy to pack.

Sometimes a 3 lb hammer and brickies bolster or cold chisel come in handy for breaking up larger rocks into manageable size pieces.

Kramer

FoBR
Sometimes a 3 lb hammer and brickies bolster or cold chisel come in handy for breaking up larger rocks into manageable size pieces.
I find my mattock is awesome for splitting rocks - just needs sharpening a lot more frequently!
...also a good pair of safety specs helps too!

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
HI Folks,
here'e a little rig I made to landscape our place. By made I mean added a blade to the front of a rotary hoe.

Works a treat, as the tillers soften the dirt to be moved with the blade. Thought this would be a great tool between the ra-hoe and the mini excavator

500mm wide. about 100kgs. thanks ebay.

Cheers
Rob

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
I use a chipping hoe, crowbar, metal rake, bow saw and a shovel with 20l paint/ tilers glue buckets. If money was no object that remote operated mini excavator thing looked the business. Even had a grab attachment on the bucket for grabbing stuff. Anything like that tends to build trail that is just like trail built by stuff like that.

For a truly unique singletrack that is part of the bush using the logs and rocks as features you can not beat hand made. Blisters and love....