Trailforks - Now behind a paywall

RichJS

Likes Dirt
It's only $18 a year
Trailforks Pro was $18 per year for early-birds, now it's $36. I happily signed up @ $18, but I think $36 may be a little steep for many. I have already used it in a couple of trail centres more than 60km from home that I haven't ridden before, so well worthwhile for me. From time to time I also scroll around Whistler trails while repeatedly mumbling "one day" to myself.

As a bonus, TF Pro gives access to their Garmin maps which add TF trails to an OpenStreetMapo base. Used to have to donate to trail org to get access to those maps. And I appreciate that TF was and is ad-free, despite PB pumping presumably millions of dollars into it. Also that usage data is shared with the trail admins for free, plus other tools like those admins being able to create local competitions etc.

All admins got free subscriptions so in areas that have good active admin users the trail networks should be still kept up to date
Yes, though they don't really need a subscription to update / record / etc. And as mentioned, the website is still free to use - from your desktop or phone.

If something is free then you are the product - I would assume they have been unable to successfully transpose the data into advertising and on selling opportunities and thus we need money from the user.
I've met canadaka (creator / lead programmer) and I'm pretty sure that they were unwilling rather than unable to "tranpose the data into advertising."

Now that it's mature and popular, PB are going to see if it can support itself financially.

Not meant to upload illegal trails to trail forks, that's one of their policies
You can upload whatever you want, but if a local trail admin notices it as an unsanctioned (not "illegal") then they can mark it as such.

If you can download MTB openmaps to your GPS unit, you can pretty much find your way around most networks.
Are we talking about openmtbmaps.org? Looks like a EUR20 subscription fee for a year, same as trailforks, to present OSM to in a more MTB-friendly way. So it doesn't appear to list trails that aren't in OSM, right? You could just get OSM maps from somewhere else for free and at least around Canberra they have enough singletrack listed (call it 30-50% of trails in a trail centre) to get around.

Am I looking at Alltrails wrong? The website map looks like it adds almost nothing to what's showing on the OpenStreetMap basemap, at least in Canberra. Do I need to login or something?

MTB Project (part of Adventure Projects) supposedly has reasonable coverage in USA, but there's virtually no Aus trails. It was owned by REI for a few years, now back in original owner's hands. Their Mountain Project site/app has partnered up with a gear vendor, so it'll be interesting to see if/how MTB Project is made self-sustainable.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Not meant to upload illegal trails to trail forks, that's one of their policies, not much is up to date or current in Brisbane with trail forks either. I usually look on Strava to see if anyone has ridden the trail recently or see the route they've ridden. If you can download MTB openmaps to your GPS unit, you can pretty much find your way around most networks.
Not just illegals, there are trails/fire tracks that were never designated as anything, you can clearly ride them legally but they are just not there.

I wonder if like Strava, some walker gets the shits on, sends in a complaint or a couple of clicks on the app, deems it dangerous, does Trailforks remove it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Trailforks Pro was $18 per year for early-birds, now it's $36. I happily signed up @ $18, but I think $36 may be a little steep for many. I have already used it in a couple of trail centres more than 60km from home that I haven't ridden before, so well worthwhile for me. From time to time I also scroll around Whistler trails while repeatedly mumbling "one day" to myself.

As a bonus, TF Pro gives access to their Garmin maps which add TF trails to an OpenStreetMapo base. Used to have to donate to trail org to get access to those maps. And I appreciate that TF was and is ad-free, despite PB pumping presumably millions of dollars into it. Also that usage data is shared with the trail admins for free, plus other tools like those admins being able to create local competitions etc.

Yes, though they don't really need a subscription to update / record / etc. And as mentioned, the website is still free to use - from your desktop or phone.

I've met canadaka (creator / lead programmer) and I'm pretty sure that they were unwilling rather than unable to "tranpose the data into advertising."

Now that it's mature and popular, PB are going to see if it can support itself financially.

You can upload whatever you want, but if a local trail admin notices it as an unsanctioned (not "illegal") then they can mark it as such.

Are we talking about openmtbmaps.org? Looks like a EUR20 subscription fee for a year, same as trailforks, to present OSM to in a more MTB-friendly way. So it doesn't appear to list trails that aren't in OSM, right? You could just get OSM maps from somewhere else for free and at least around Canberra they have enough singletrack listed (call it 30-50% of trails in a trail centre) to get around.

Am I looking at Alltrails wrong? The website map looks like it adds almost nothing to what's showing on the OpenStreetMap basemap, at least in Canberra. Do I need to login or something?

MTBProject (owned by REI) supposedly has reasonable coverage in USA, but there's virtually no Aus trails.
If you already have an account with trail forks it's discounted.

The standard OpenMTB base maps have been free ever since I can remember, you can donate if you like.
As for alltrails, it might be area dependant, but it's got more unsanctioned trails on it than Trail forks here.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not just illegals, there are trails/fire tracks that were never designated as anything, you can clearly ride them legally but they are just not there.

I wonder if like Strava, some walker gets the shits on, sends in a complaint or a couple of clicks on the app, deems it dangerous, does Trailforks remove it.
Not sure, I've never tried removing a trail but most of the unsanctioned stuff gets removed pretty fast around Brisbane. I've noticed on trailforks if someone has ridden a banned unsanctioned trail it will not show their trail log.

Ackland

chats d'élevage

Where are there bits missing?
They may never have been added

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
can't beat ride with gps for planning, https://ridewithgps.com/ you can even grab routes out of strava and upload into there, free features enough for a good ride. so in a new area you'd use strave segment explorer, find a top 10 rider, export their route and import into ridewithgps and export out to garmin. Or create a route from rider in strava and save/export.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
can't beat ride with gps for planning, https://ridewithgps.com/ you can even grab routes out of strava and upload into there, free features enough for a good ride. so in a new area you'd use strave segment explorer, find a top 10 rider, export their route and import into ridewithgps and export out to garmin. Or create a route from rider in strava and save/export.
Segment explorer is fking woeful

ozzybmx

Where are there bits missing?
They may never have been added
Might never have been, all the rideable tracks in BNP were there, the other I reckon I've seen are the Yurrebilla without the Carrick Hill section and I do know the illegal Brownhill DH tracks were there and shouldn't have been.

Yet... Ewoks is there in Cleland and all the unofficial DH trails into Waterfall gully.

Look at BNP, golf course... the Birdie Loop Descent ?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Segment explorer is fking woeful
its going to bring up main segments, what I look for is a champion of the area - on that segment, then look at their rides, as you know we are creatures of habit, so usually there's a good route, instant local knowledge.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Might never have been, all the rideable tracks in BNP were there, the other I reckon I've seen are the Yurrebilla without the Carrick Hill section and I do know the illegal Brownhill DH tracks were there and shouldn't have been.

Yet... Ewoks is there in Cleland and all the unofficial DH trails into Waterfall gully.

Look at BNP, golf course... the Birdie Loop Descent ?
Birdie loop exists...
It's a token link to the goat shed from adventure loop using some of the kart tracks and then a new piece of trail

ozzybmx

Birdie loop exists...
It's a token link to the goat shed from adventure loop using some of the kart tracks and then a new piece of trail
Just rode through there having a sticky beak... didn't find anything.

K.C.

Likes Dirt
its going to bring up main segments, what I look for is a champion of the area - on that segment, then look at their rides, as you know we are creatures of habit, so usually there's a good route, instant local knowledge.
it's not available if strava's ransom not paid :p

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I paid when it was cheap for life. Mainly because I was on my way north and wanted to see Rockhampton, Townsville and Cairns from my phone. Was cheap.......... I spent more on beer tonight.