Trails for newbs in Tba/intro thread

axertes

Likes Dirt
Hey Toowoombans,

I live in Tba and want to get into XC/trail-style MTBing. I'm wondering if I can get some advice on places to go trail riding.

My bike is my sole form of transport, so I don't want anything waaay out of town. Nothing ridiculously long either, as my cardio fitness leaves a lot to be desired as well (for the time being). I ride from town to uni and back, and town to Prince Henry Drive and back pretty regularly, but that's about it, so I'm not really used to riding more than 25 road kilometres a day.

I ride a really crappy $400 GT at the moment, and am thinking of buying a Giant XTC2 pretty soon. Unrelated question: what do you folks think of Bridge Street Cycles? I think I remember the bloke from some other shop, and he seems like an honest bloke. Is he Brian Page?

Redwood park is a bit more downhill oriented isn't it? I don't wanna break my new weight weenie bike (or myself) when I get it.

A mate said something about a trail that goes from near the rifle range to Prince Henry heights. Anyone know anything about this?

I used to ride from Lion's Park to the Old Toll bar when I was a kid, maybe I should do that a few times before I tackle real trails :p

Also, do you get Telstra GSM reception around these trails? I'll be riding solo sometimes, so I want to have some sort of safety net if I really hurt myself.

So yeah, this is an introductory thread too. If you see a complete newb that looks a bit like Jesus riding either a crappy GT or a shiny new XTC2 and being generally newbish, it will probably be me. Please don't laugh too hard.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Geoff

axertes

Likes Dirt
Oh and I saw this in the trail maintenance thread:

Don't forget you can ride down from the top of Jubalee, do the XC track a couple of times and than get a good training ride back up the hill. Allow about 30 minutes to get back to Bridge Street. Only a couple of hard bits, the rest is a good steady ride.
Is the XC trail to which the thread refers your private TMBC track, i.e. I'd have to be a member to use it?

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
G'day Geoff,

Welcome to Farkin and to the Toowoomba Club section too. Sounds like you're already local so you may know a lot of the secrets...

Most of the rides we do are "local" as a few of the people like to keep it that way. The car issue isn't a problem because there is usually someone that can give you a ride if you need it. With the amount you ride you'll probably toast most of us anyway.

The XC track, Rollercat, is public access so if you are in Jubilee Park feel free to ride it. The races on it are generally run clockwise but either way works. Rollercat is at the bottom of the DH track, MacKenzie Frenzy, so keep your eyes out for fast people from above. It has been riden by hardtails like yours so if you feel the need give it a go.

I'm not the most knowledgable of the riders on here so if you want to come to one of the organised rides we'll show you where to go. Keep an eye on this part of Farkin and you'll see when a group are going and where too.

The phone coverage. Australia's largest provider (the name that I will not speak) does get you intermittent coverage and it usually improves on the high ground. Triple zero should work from anywhere though...

Hope that helps you out a bit. See you around somewhere.

axertes

Likes Dirt
With the amount you ride you'll probably toast most of us anyway.
Dunno about that. I smoke about 20 a day too haha.

The XC track, Rollercat, is public access so if you are in Jubilee Park feel free to ride it. The races on it are generally run clockwise but either way works. Rollercat is at the bottom of the DH track, MacKenzie Frenzy, so keep your eyes out for fast people from above. It has been riden by hardtails like yours so if you feel the need give it a go.
Ah, but has it been ridden by inexperienced hardtails? So this MacKenzie Frenzy is the DH track from Jube?

Triple zero should work from anywhere though...
I didn't know that. Cool.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure whether to expect one as this part of the forum seems a bit quiet.

lammi

Likes Bikes
Just found this section and was just about to make the exact same thread haha.

Take 1 noob. give him 1 08 sasquatch (i work hard for teh moneh). and now i need somewhere to start. Some easy-ish trails would be good, watched a video on youtube of the flagon trail which looks alright, does that go down flagstone ck road?

Will most likely do a bit of riding around first to get the hang of the bike, i used to ride dirtbikes but decided this as a cheaper option.

axertes

Likes Dirt
Hey peoples. 2 things:

1. I got my 08 XTC2 yesterday! Sooo light and smooth and fast compared to my crappy old GT. I'm still getting used to it, in particular getting used to clipless pedals. I discovered I could bunny hop easily in them, then discovered you fall over when you're still attached to your pedals haha.

2. Hey Iammi. So we're both newbs, cool. If you're looking for a really really easy trail try the trail from Lions Park (off Tourist Road just before Picnic Point) to the Old Toll Bar. It's smooth, not too steep, and just switchbacks down the hill. It's a popular bushwalk for the oldies too so be careful and considerate. I'll be doing it solo today after I visit my grandparents up at Picnic Point. I want a super-easy trail because as I mentioned above I'm getting used to clipless, and the last thing I want to do is go arse-up and take my bike with me.

Last edited:

lammi

Likes Bikes
Thanks axertes, by the way, its Lammi, looks like an I tho haha,

Well theres a very mild tracks (mainly walking tracks) that im going to go straight to to get the hang of things, then ill try get hold of an old mate and see if he wants to hit up some trails with me. thats if he still has his bike.

should be getting the sassy next week *crosses fingers*.

axertes

Likes Dirt
I never got to do my ride today, it was dark before I got the time.

Also, I was less confident on the cliplesses than I thought I was. I felt really weird just riding on the road. I went flying down South street and I was like "f**k I'm gonna die" :(

Practice will make perfect I suppose.

lammi

Likes Bikes
ur confusing me, do u mean clip-ins?

coz the way im thinking, wouldnt clipless be less worrying to be strapped to a bike going 60km/h down a tar/concrete path?

wicksy-

Likes Dirt
Ah, but has it been ridden by inexperienced hardtails?
Well I used to ride a bike that has 20mm of travel and v-brakes and I basically learned to ride on frenzy so you shuold be able to do it. If you go the cheeseburger way I talked about in the other thread you can turn right when you get to frenzy and skip the harder top bit, which you can then try when you're confident on the bottom sections.

Last edited:

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
If you're looking for a really really easy trail try the trail from Lions Park (off Tourist Road just before Picnic Point) to the Old Toll Bar. It's smooth, not too steep, and just switchbacks down the hill. It's a popular bushwalk for the oldies too so be careful and considerate.
That trail should not be used by bike riders. It's a walking track, and is sign posted accordingly. The TMBC has done a lot of work with the council to get access and tracks built, if we upset the community by riding tracks that are clearly signed not for bikes and future access will be much more difficult.

If you MUST ride it, please only ride up as you wont be going as fast, and you'll be less likely to scare / run over a walker.

axertes

Likes Dirt
That trail should not be used by bike riders. It's a walking track, and is sign posted accordingly. The TMBC has done a lot of work with the council to get access and tracks built, if we upset the community by riding tracks that are clearly signed not for bikes and future access will be much more difficult.

If you MUST ride it, please only ride up as you wont be going as fast, and you'll be less likely to scare / run over a walker.
Fair enough, and I can see why as a member of a mtb club you'd want to disassociate yourself from people being pests on walking tracks.

The way I see it though, we are allowed to ride on paved footpaths and in parks, but we should use discretion and give way to pedestrians. I wasn't aware that there were signs banning riding of bikes on that track.

For example: yesterday I was still adjusting and getting used to my clipless, so I took some tools and went to Laurel Bank Park and farted around there. On the other hand, if I was racing to get from one side of the park to the other as fast as I could without regard for the pedestrians that WOULD be being a pain in the arse.

Well the idea with that track was the same. It's like one step from riding on a paved footpath and was designed for careful practice only.

I'll consider what you said, and won't encourage any other cyclists to use it.

axertes

Likes Dirt
ur confusing me, do u mean clip-ins?

coz the way im thinking, wouldnt clipless be less worrying to be strapped to a bike going 60km/h down a tar/concrete path?
No clipless is like the things racing and XC cyclists use, like this:

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fair enough, and I can see why as a member of a mtb club you'd want to disassociate yourself from people being pests on walking tracks.

The way I see it though, we are allowed to ride on paved footpaths and in parks, but we should use discretion and give way to pedestrians. I wasn't aware that there were signs banning riding of bikes on that track.

For example: yesterday I was still adjusting and getting used to my clipless, so I took some tools and went to Laurel Bank Park and farted around there. On the other hand, if I was racing to get from one side of the park to the other as fast as I could without regard for the pedestrians that WOULD be being a pain in the arse.

Well the idea with that track was the same. It's like one step from riding on a paved footpath and was designed for careful practice only.

I'll consider what you said, and won't encourage any other cyclists to use it.
There are signs & maps designating bike/walker & horse trails + the trails that are combining in there uses, best to head to council and grab a copy as to ensure a long & happy relationship with council who provide us (the cyclist) with the trails we so enjoy.
Aaron

axertes

Likes Dirt
There are signs & maps designating bike/walker & horse trails + the trails that are combining in there uses, best to head to council and grab a copy as to ensure a long & happy relationship with council who provide us (the cyclist) with the trails we so enjoy.
Aaron
Oh ok, cool. Thanks for the advice. What do I ask for specifically? Like a "trail map" or something?

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh ok, cool. Thanks for the advice. What do I ask for specifically? Like a "trail map" or something?

Ask for the local trail maps, alternatively there are maps to be viewed at the trail heads of the major fireroads within the network of trails, however the most comprehensive map is at at the top of the downhill trail @ the end of Harvey St, listing all trails & there uses.
happy to show you some time.
Aaron

axertes

Likes Dirt
Ask for the local trail maps, alternatively there are maps to be viewed at the trail heads of the major fireroads within the network of trails, however the most comprehensive map is at at the top of the downhill trail @ the end of Harvey St, listing all trails & there uses.
happy to show you some time.
Aaron
Sweet dude, thanks. I'll check that out.

Are you the same Toowoomba Aaron I didn't buy the Soma 29er from?

goughy1

Cannon Fodder
Hi y'all, thought I'd dredge up an old yet relevant thread to me.

My bro-in-law and I and gonna try riding some tracks around the place. I've asked at the info centre but they were no help. I've had a drive up to the Jubilee tracks to get an idea of where they go. But are there any others in Toowoomba. Surely there must be more! And if the info centre has no info would the council be of more help or would they also be a dead end?

Both of us are flat out beginners at this. I've pulled out the 20yr old road bike and have been back into it for 3 weeks now. My bro-in-law hasn't ridden in years and years. Now don't laugh (ok, some snickering is ok ;) ) but we'll be using the bikes we got from the Subway promotion :D

What we're looking for are some suggestions for beginners type tracks to try. We won't be burning anything up. Just a ride for some fun.

Also, that track by preston sounds interesting. We've both bought blocks behind the Lyons park at Hodgens Vale so we'll have to see what's out that way.