Trails in and around Cooma

big mike

Squid
There are trails in and around Cooma,never ridden any though.
I worked with a bloke @ Perisher that lived there and used to ride them.What I can remember if you heading out of town towards Jindabyne you will head up a hill,there is a turn off to some tea rooms(big old wagon @ the turnoff) head up to the top of that which will be a dead end and "apparently" there are track all through there.
I also read somewhere that they had close to 60kms of single track.....buggered if I could find any one that new where it was.
like above I can vouch for Jindy.Get a mtba membership and head out to Bungarra,its private but they do allow you to ride on Saturdays.
Lake Crackenback has got some good riding.It is open to the public.
check out http://www.jindabynectmc.com.au/main/page_home.html has details of local bike shop in Jindy.
Also check this site out http://www.rollingground.com.au/index.html has all the info on Jindy trails.

Mick

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
There are trails in and around Cooma,never ridden any though.
I worked with a bloke @ Perisher that lived there and used to ride them.What I can remember if you heading out of town towards Jindabyne you will head up a hill,there is a turn off to some tea rooms(big old wagon @ the turnoff) head up to the top of that which will be a dead end and "apparently" there are track all through there.
I also read somewhere that they had close to 60kms of single track.....buggered if I could find any one that new where it was.
like above I can vouch for Jindy.Get a mtba membership and head out to Bungarra,its private but they do allow you to ride on Saturdays.
Lake Crackenback has got some good riding.It is open to the public.
check out http://www.jindabynectmc.com.au/main/page_home.html has details of local bike shop in Jindy.
Also check this site out http://www.rollingground.com.au/index.html has all the info on Jindy trails.

Mick
Thanks - already MTBA member with SHCC, daughter is moving there in January and when we're down that way will drop in to the local trails.

sruge

Likes Dirt
I think Andy Blair lived (may still live) in Cooma, so there must be a big network of reasonable trails around. The main street through town is Sharp Street - just as you start to climb out of town heading west (Hain Centre on your left) you will pass Lambie Avenue on your right. If you ride to the end of Lambie Ave you will come to the trailhead of a network (bit hazy on the details - been a few years since I did it, but my recollection was that there was a good network there).

Over towards the south-western corner of town, at the corner of Culey Avenue and McDonald (I think) Avenue, there is another trail head. It leads generally south-west and climbs up onto what we knew as Pine Ridge (I grew up in Culey Avenue....er.... put it this way - starting from just before the introduction of decimal currency!) There is a bit of a network up on the ridge. It's been almost 5 years since I last rode the old tracks that motos started cutting in the 70's, but there was some decent technical rocky stuff in there and the run back down from the ridge is a hoot. There is a stock route that runs west from the other end of McDonald Avenue (which itself is only about 2 blocks in length). The stock route connects all the way round to the Snowy Mountains Highway - it's worth a lap just to get the lay of the land - so, if you keep working north-west from Pine Ridge, as you reach property boundaries they will lead you back to the stock-route.

There are some epic XC rides near Thredbo. They are not technical, but they are very very scenic. The ride from Dead Horse Gap down to Cascade Hut and back is a special memory - crossing clear alpine streams, groups of wild brumbies, water bars the size of VW Beetles & views clear down into Victoria - Southeast MTB Co who run the Thredbo/Cannonball operation in summer will have details. From Cooma & back would be a full day, but on the right day with a couple of riding buddies, it's easily worth the effort.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the info..... I'm beginning to get excited about seeing my daughter when she settles in Cooma...! (I know Cooma only from my having lived part time in the Bega Valley in the 70s-early 80s)