Trainer vs resistance rollers vs exersice bike

J_Daniher

Likes Bikes
Okay I am going to need to get one of these because its getting darker in the afternoons but which is better? Pros and cons of each

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I find exercise bikes next to useless.
I can't comment on rollers but I do have an indoor trainer which I use with my road bike. It really does give quite an intense workout. I think it is really a great alternative for time poor people. It can really get the legs and heart pumping pretty quick.
A couple of things to consider are, noise and sweat. My indoor trainer is used on carpet but is still pretty load. Not enough to worry the neighbors but it may keep others awake if used late at night while watching F1 races. You also get quite a sweat going pretty quick, so it can be a good idea to lay a towel under your bike and have another to wipe yourself down.
I would recommend a trainer, even though I hardly use mine.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I'd say go a fluid trainer.
I have a exercise bike at home and it is good, don't get me wrong they have decent resistance and it keep track of cadence well. I use it with my Garmin HR because I don't trust the bike (obviously) I also tend to half the Kms I do, I can pump out an hour at 36-40km/h, I know that on the road if more likely do half of that.

Now the problems with the exercise bike, most are not the same position as a actual bike so the mechanics don't transfer across as well, muscle are used slightly different albeit very similar but for competition or looking for max performance you want as close to realistic as possible. The arms tend to be spaces too far apart to in comparison to a bike.
Again most exercise bikes while they have resistance it does feel different to bike resistance on the road.
Exercise bikes are great for heart rate training and basic fitness but for specific fitness when your looking at the way the body works and really sneezing performance out you want to get as close as possible so fluid trainer is ideal as well your on the bike.

If you don't have a exercise bike already and are deciding as you are no doubt to with a fluid trainer.
An exercise bike is only "if you have one already" I wouldn't even bother buying one just just go straigh to fluid trainer. The only exercise bikes worth buying are have ridiculous price tags and a fluid trainer would be lots cheaper in that case.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I use a magnetic wind trainer, pisses the mrs right off if she watching one of her telly shows. It tends to whine, three time worse if i use the mtb on it with nobblys, nobbies, nobblies (how ever I am meant to spell it).

If I was a man of infinite funds, I lash out buy a recumbent exercise bike, extremely quiet, a variety of built in programs to amuse one's self with, very comfortable to sit on for an hour or two... I really struggle with more than 30-45 mins on the road bike when it's on the wind trainer, the lack of body movement and the somewhat 'aggressive' posture make it unpleasant on the arse hands, neck and shoulders, strangely I don't get this when I am actually out road riding.

Unless you're elite level, I don't think it would make much difference quality wise whether you exercised on a exercise bike, wind trainer or rollers, the two later are obviously more specific posture wise, but if you are still riding you bike on weekends it'll all transfer across no problems.

I'd also highlight that the wind trainer has been really good for developing a nice candence, but buy a fan too, you'll sweat like a pig otherwise.

pedaling whilst rotorburning... if only it was an mtb.
wind trainer desk.jpg

Last edited:

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
I use a spin bike. It's more realistic than an exercise bike. I can't comment on the trainers but a pro is it is always set up. I can watch TV, a movie, play PlayStation (difficult to concentrate on both - use heart monitor with upper and lower limit alarms) or put on a sufferfest session. Agree get at least one fan or you will meltdown like a Chernobyl.

Attachments

Last edited:

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
I've got both a trainer and rollers. Trainer is good as you can watch a movie/tv whatever and let your mind wander or really focus on particular cadence/power output etc. Rollers (at least for me) require constant concentration (usually just looking straight ahead) to stay upright - I guess more time on them would make this less of an issue tho. Rollers are also good for practicing riding in a very straight line (useful in road bunches, not so much on the dirt).

If I had to pick one I'd go a trainer, just make sure you get a slick tyre to use it with!

doctr-dan

Likes Bikes
I just set up a jet black fluid trainer and put the mountain bike on it. whoa the noise it creates with nobbies is loud. Gotta get a slick for sure.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Hey Willsy

Need a new set of lights, are the ayups good? I assume you have them if you're spruking them...

Back on topic, I started with an exercise bike and quickly moved onto the trainer. The exercise bike had limited adjustments in terms of body position, just didn't enjoy it. Now using a wind trainer. I have my old mountain bike set up for good and is much better. slick on the back and it is smooth and quiet. I have tacx trainer. Was getting a bit noisy/squeeky so I squirt a bit of lube into it. Good as gold now.

I have it set up in the shed, so I'm not annoying anyone. Most of the time I wait until the kids are in bed and get out there with the music up loud an go for it. I enjoy it. Wouldn't do it otherwise. As someone mentioned earlier, you tend to get a sore ass if you go for too long as there is no bumps or movement like riding on the road/trails.

Certainly a great training aid through the cold, wet, dark winter months. I don't mind riding in the shit weather but not day after day. To much wear & tear on the bikes and it's pretty easy to get sick (for me anyway).

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I love my ayup lights. They are a fantastic package. There are brighter lights now but the ayup is just a rock solid reliable set up. I would recommend the 40% brighter power upgrade option for that extra boost though.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Hey Willsy

Need a new set of lights, are the ayups good? I assume you have them if you're spruking them...
Yeah man, they're great. I've got the medium beam on the bars and a narrow on the helmet and they're plenty good enough for belting along tight single track in the dark.

Sure, they're not the brightest lights on the market but they're bloody well built, versatile, low profile and most importantly they're Australian made. As an entire package, I think they're really well thought out. The full gammut of parts and mounts are available to buy as well.

After sales service is brilliant, one of my battery pouches started coming unstitched and I received a replacement within 2 days no questions asked. One of the battery connectors died outside of warranty and they gave me a considerable discount on a replacement. On top of that, the company does a lot for the MTB community. I'm in no way affiliated with them.......I just like how they roll.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Yeah man, they're great. I've got the medium beam on the bars and a narrow on the helmet and they're plenty good enough for belting along tight single track in the dark.

Sure, they're not the brightest lights on the market but they're bloody well built, versatile, low profile and most importantly they're Australian made. As an entire package, I think they're really well thought out. The full gammut of parts and mounts are available to buy as well.

After sales service is brilliant, one of my battery pouches started coming unstitched and I received a replacement within 2 days no questions asked. One of the battery connectors died outside of warranty and they gave me a considerable discount on a replacement. On top of that, the company does a lot for the MTB community. I'm in no way affiliated with them.......I just like how they roll.
Thanks, I'll suss them out.