Trampolines

slowmick

38-39"
Evening Team,

Seems we need a trampoline at our house. I've spent time looking and like most things there is a k-mart version and a boutique version.
Can any one point me in the direction of what is required for many years of kid bouncing fun.
I'm hoping to avoid the complementary trip to the emergency ward for our first broken bone.

Mots of the threads on here seem to relate to people doing tricks on dirt jumpers with no wheels and heaps of foam.

moorey

call me Mia
Try to get a non spring one. Springs suck and rust. That said, our mid priced spring one has sat in the weather for 10 years. It’s still used most days. If kids are young, the safety cage is fine, but it will be first thing to crap out and be ditched.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
We have a springfree unit that has taken a beating and going strong - no springs obviously is a massive plus with the safety net around the outside to stop them falling off when going a little too hard.

Good quality and would recommend.

ausdb

Being who he is
The vuly thunders are expensive, heavy AF to move but bounce really well. Also the way you get in means there's no zips to crap out on you. No matter what you get the padding will die in the sun, the same as any gimmicky awnings. Get as big as you can then one size bigger as more than one kid is probably going to end up on it. The cheap ones think of them as disposable, avoid the ones that have elastic /rubber springs. If your kids are older and getting into tricks the longer axis of a rectangular tramp is useful.
@ashes_mtb do you remember jet jol tramps when you were growing up with the woven string mat? Best bounce evahhhh!

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Evening Team,

Seems we need a trampoline at our house. I've spent time looking and like most things there is a k-mart version and a boutique version.
Can any one point me in the direction of what is required for many years of kid bouncing fun.
I'm hoping to avoid the complementary trip to the emergency ward for our first broken bone.

Mots of the threads on here seem to relate to people doing tricks on dirt jumpers with no wheels and heaps of foam.
Your best option is to set up as an importer of trampolines.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
My only advice is if you get one with a net, pin the frame the ground. We don't use the net and ours has never moved in 40kmh winds, where everyone else's has gone on a tour of the neighbourhood in winds half that strong.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We had one of these https://www.lifespankids.com.au/collections/trampolines
The youngest was on it everyday so we got our money’s worth.
It is better than the K mart ones and you can order spare parts. the feet on it are useless and it was a pain in the arse to move to mow the lawn. It also needs to be secured to the ground as it blew over in the wind. The fist thing to go was the mat the covers the springs.

I spent my younger years on a trampoline with no net and some good springs, no serious injuries. Weather wise it has been kept under a tarp with bricks on it to prevent the wind from blowing it off and it's still great ~20 years later.

Can't imagine getting one without springs or a safety net, can't seem to bounce too high on them and the area seems a bit small too.

The formerly mentioned was plenty good enough for flips with twists.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We just got the biggest one we could from Kmart, has been great for about 4 years now. Only slight deterioration of the pads where they climb in and out on it. All the netting is still perfect including the zip. Gets a major workout, and if my kids haven't found the limitation of the cheap net nobody will ha ha. Bounces quite well, I may or may not get on for a cheeky bounce from time to time!

My sister has the original spring-free branded one about the same size.
Very expensive but is very nice to bounce on. But has still succumbed to the Aus sun after about 8 years.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
We got one of the larger Vuly ones with springs. The springs are covered by a mat, and the walls mean there's no risk of anyone getting stuck in them. As well as the walls we got the roof which means they can hang out in there on sunny days for long periods, and there's also a 'tent' option that goes around the edge so you can't see in.

Even if you blow a lot of money on one it's better value than most kids' shit, they absolutely love it and spend hours out there using up energy. Can't remember what it cost, wasn't cheap, but totally worth it.

I can also highly recommend putting it together on Christmas Eve by torchlight with a skinful of red wine.

stirk

Burner
Springs and no net here, never installed just as I never installed training wheels.

I have seen more accidents and kids falling a off netted trampoline than non as they seem to go more crazy in there and can't navigate the door without getting tangled in it.

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
The Vuly one we had lasted 6 or 7 years until the springs started letting go. I was in a damp salty environment so I thought it lasted well. Make sure you pin it down as others said, and make sure it is big enough to handle adults, I think I used ours more than the kids did.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
this is all well and good. but I have to buy TWO for xmas because no kids will share and go full trump when forced to share. There will be three trampolines in a tiny back yard. I can see it now "his trampoline is hitting mine"

EZZA 84

Likes Bikes
@Tubbsy you forgot to add a 'helpful' granddad who hates reading instructions....
My old man went hell for leather when my kids got one, had all the springs on and the mat tensioned, until I went slow down the little loops at the bottom of the net need to get threaded through where the springs attach to the mat.
Mate I've been there done that, laugh at it now but was hating life at the time, also you have to line up the net properly, we left it wonky for a couple of weeks before fixing it haha!! Once you know how to pop the springfree rods in place it's actually not that hard to do it yourself.

We bought a nearly 10 year old used springfree trampoline a couple years ago for $150, the previous owner had taken great care of if so apart from being faded and in need of a good clean it was in good condition. We didn't want to drop well over 1K into a new one only to see it get used once a month. The girls love it and use it every day!!