Trance 29er and Price rises for 2021 bikes

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
After about a decade away from RB, i am back hoping for some advice. The fill me in on the last 10 years thread was handy!

I think it is coming time to replace my old Trance X. Looking at the Trance 29er to ride around Canberra. Stromlo, Majura etc.

I liked the idea of the trance 29 2 with alloy frame and SLX. Alas, they seem to be sold out nearly everywhere.

I was chasing a medium.

They were on sale for about $3200 and up.

Anyone see one around in a bike store.

Secondly, I have great fear for the price rises that seem to be on horizon. Dealers talking about 15% higher prices and slow availability. Anyone with any reasonable speculation.

Trying to decide whether to chase a deal hard now or hold off till next year’s sale cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Alas, I rang them this morning and they didn’t have any.

I thought the price of the various giant anthems and trances seemed a lot more expensive than only a few years ago.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
well they went up about 20% last year, so a 15% hike this year is not unrealistic. But Giants only sell for RRP for the first few months, then when they realise no-one is buying the prices will drop.

Heres one on bike exchange. there seem to be quite a few on there... https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/d...kes/giant/vic/melbourne/trance-29-2/107352607
And thanks for the background on prices from last year and the suggested link.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
2020 models from pretty much anyone are very thin on the ground. I have no firm indication of when nicer '21 models will be landing, but could be a few weeks at least. Current indications are that prices will rise because our exchange rate has dropped a fair bit recently, but exactly how much the rise will be I don't yet know.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2020 models from pretty much anyone are very thin on the ground. I have no firm indication of when nicer '21 models will be landing, but could be a few weeks at least. Current indications are that prices will rise because our exchange rate has dropped a fair bit recently, but exactly how much the rise will be I don't yet know.
Dollar is now back (in USD terms) more or less to where it has been for the last couple of years close to 70c, marginally down aganst Taiwan Dollar but depends on any currency hedging given the AUD did plummet to close to 55c at one point in March. Nerf is apparently th currency watcher/forecaster!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The finer details escape me, but the complication is that we're essentially dealing with compounded exchange rates. The Asian producers trade in USD, which throws another step in. If that is performing badly against the Asian currencies, we still suffer even if our dollar is OK against the US; we really suffer if we're low against the US as well.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dollar is now back (in USD terms) more or less to where it has been for the last couple of years close to 70c, marginally down aganst Taiwan Dollar but depends on any currency hedging given the AUD did plummet to close to 55c at one point in March. Nerf is apparently th currency watcher/forecaster!
Now it is, but not when the first orders from Giant Australia where made a few months ago.
ATX 3s and Bliss 3s are coming through now + most of the kids bikes. As an example of the increase;
2020 ATX 3 - RRP $499
2021 ATX 3 - RRP $549

Wouldn't expect to see anything over the $3000+ RRP until the end of July.

Don't look at the prices of the new TCRs as a good judge of the hike. $3299 RRP for a bike with Tiagra..... Not sure how we're going to sell any of those.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
I figure that there will be a period where the various dealers and shops will be trying to sell the bikes at a higher rate and something of a stand off with buyers resisting the higher prices.

Usual supply and demand stuff.

I think I left my shopping about 6 weeks too late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was in the LBS last night.

They are expecting a 10% increase in pricing across the board and a real shit fight for stock.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
After about a decade away from RB, i am back hoping for some advice. The fill me in on the last 10 years thread was handy!

I think it is coming time to replace my old Trance X. Looking at the Trance 29er to ride around Canberra. Stromlo, Majura etc.

I liked the idea of the trance 29 2 with alloy frame and SLX. Alas, they seem to be sold out nearly everywhere.

I was chasing a medium.

They were on sale for about $3200 and up.

Anyone see one around in a bike store.

Secondly, I have great fear for the price rises that seem to be on horizon. Dealers talking about 15% higher prices and slow availability. Anyone with any reasonable speculation.

Trying to decide whether to chase a deal hard now or hold off till next year’s sale cycle.

I was talking to a mate that works for Pushys last week and prices have gone up by 15-17% depending on the model in question.
There are no 2020 Trances left in the Giants inventory system. However, maybe try Bike Exchange as there are some shops in Sydney with Trances at clearout pricing.
Pushys had three 2021 Trances come in last Friday and they all sold in under 1/2hr and there was no confirmation on availability.