trance or stump jumper?

blackmamba

Likes Bikes
Keen to hear anyones experiences with either a giant trance x0 or stump jumper fsr comp. Im more keen on dh but wanted a xc bike to keep fit since i blew up my shoulder in footy. Saw Ivanhoe cycles were clearing out 2012 Trance x0 for under 3. Any primo deals going on stumpies? Was chasing new but would be interested in sussing seconds if your dad is selling.

Or am i being a dick and discounting some other bike worth a look?

cheers

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Keen to hear anyones experiences with either a giant trance x0 or stump jumper fsr comp. Im more keen on dh but wanted a xc bike to keep fit since i blew up my shoulder in footy. Saw Ivanhoe cycles were clearing out 2012 Trance x0 for under 3. Any primo deals going on stumpies? Was chasing new but would be interested in sussing seconds if your dad is selling.

Or am i being a dick and discounting some other bike worth a look?

cheers
I was tossing up between the same 2 bikes recently. I had a ride on the Trance and I found the HA too steep to have any fun on the DH sections of the track. The Stumpy (in my opinion) is a much more versatile and fun bike with better geo. I brought mine to stay fit after an injury on my DH bike. Light (mine is 12.0kg with a Reverb dropper post), climbs well and is very capable on steep tech sections. Overall I think that Stumpys are a lot closer in feel to a DH bike, Sam Hill does a lot of training on one and I've seen a video of him killing it on his Stumpy. I think the FSR comps are about the same price or even cheaper than the Trance XO - have a look on Bike Exchange. You should definitely consider a used Stumpy, I got mine for $1500 on here and it was decked out with XO, a super-light wheelset and tubeless.

There are other bikes out there similar to the Stump Jumpers, but I think you would find that they are more expensive.

Last edited:

fergo

Likes Dirt
If you prefer descending performance, get the Stumpy ie DH background. If you prefer climbing performance get the Trance ie XC background.

Stumpy's wallow ascending vs the Trance. Trance's are not as stable compared to the Stumpy when descending.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Yep, try both.

My last bike was a slack angled AM bike and the first time I test rode a mates Trance Advanced 1, I hated it going down hill. Second ride, I flipped and lowered the stem and it completely transformed the ride. Yes, it is more twitchy than my last AM bike due to the slightly steeper head angle and shorter wheelbase but I find that it makes the bike a lot more nimble and it changes direction at will. I am just as confident on the Trance (yep, I ended up buying the same one) as I was on my AM bike going down. Going up, the Trance blows it away. It's light, stiff and climbs superbly. I've owned 3 Horst-Links (FSR) style bikes, two being Specialized and I find the Maestro linkage of the Giant a little more efficient. But that's just me. Line up a test ride on both and see which you prefer. Take the time to set up the shocks to suit your body weight (no point testing a full suspension bike out without the suspension set up correctly) and adjust the stem on each for roughly where you like it. A good shop shouldn't have any issues helping you out with this if they want a sale.

That aside, I say Trance. Great Suspension, sorted frame and better value for money not to mention a warranty service that's second to none.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Have a look at a 2011 Avanti Torrent 3.....

Around 3K... they're still to be had on clearance...

All EASTON HAVEN finishing kit and X0 rear der.....

QUALITY!

fatarseracing

Likes Bikes
me,me,me

I find all Giant bikes don't suit me because the top of the head tube is too high...can't get my stem low enough..even flipped!and i'm not even a hard core XC rider!
I bought a stumpy ! but just be aware of the 'Custom' parts can be expensive to service and replace.... read complicated, the Giant IMO is better value for money...but whats the point if you don't like the geometry that suits your riding style!!!

mr chicken legs

Likes Bikes
i have a 2009 trance x0. to high in the front & bb.you can flip the stem but with high bb feels like are sitting to high up very unstable.have not tried a stumpy.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
i have a 2009 trance x0. to high in the front & bb.you can flip the stem but with high bb feels like are sitting to high up very unstable.have not tried a stumpy.
The BB height on a Trance is 2mm lower then the Stumpy FSR Evo. Not sure about back in 2009 but by todays standards the BB height is pretty normal on the current Trance.

Good review here http://www.mbr.co.uk/bikes/tested-giant-trance-x4-1295/ . Yep, the Trance can descend...... ask Adam Craig!

blackmamba

Likes Bikes
Cheers for the everyones input. I rode the trance, stumpy...then bought a la pierre 314 haha! Such a smooth looking bike. Upgraded the brakes and some wider bars. Set!

scotty thommo

Likes Dirt
if you wanna test ride a stumpy go pay the boys at TRAILMIX a visit.
they have a range of stumpys that you can test ride on there trails out at lysterfied lake and at the moment there in the process of selling all there test bikes and have some sweet deals