Travel size for street

felts bend

Likes Bikes
Iv been noticing people use less travel for street riding can someone please school me on why its an advantage as i thought a taller shock would give you better leverage for bunny hops or are these people who claim this full of crap and its just preference?

Now im not entirely sure on this but from what i can gather with shorter travel you get more 'pop' of banks and such. If you had long travel then it absorbs all your 'pop'. So the idea is to get as close as possible to a bmx if that makes sence hence why a lot of your more 'pro' street riders ride rigids.

It really comes down to personal preference as does everything on YOUR bike, i would suggest try someone elses bike with short travel and see for yourself.

hartss

Likes Dirt
Basicly the less travel, the harder the rebound can be used which gives a suspension fork which ONLY absorbs the big hits. A large soft fork will give a huge increase in momentum being lost as energy is being lost every pedal/drop-in on quater...

Another difference as to why people lower forks is when they try achieve a snappier geometry fro spinning/tricks/hop's etc. The closer the geo to a BMX, the better the bike will perform.

Ohh and i ride rigids .... but im most certianly not a pro! :D

felts bend

Likes Bikes
One final question about this as I have the opportunity to buy lowers to replace my broken ones on my manitou shermans (80mm) or a set of dj2's 100mm's(which i can drop to 80mm anyway) for a really good price what would people here go with for from a performance, quality and spare parts back up point of view

Bilza_ridez

Banned
what i know

from what I no the bikes dont need as much travel
BMX bikes have no suspension at all and they're meant for street riding
and also when you land a dj it really doesn't require suspension

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One final question about this as I have the opportunity to buy lowers to replace my broken ones on my manitou shermans (80mm) or a set of dj2's 100mm's(which i can drop to 80mm anyway) for a really good price what would people here go with for from a performance, quality and spare parts back up point of view
defintly keep your shermans, marzochi dj forks are junk!!!!!

ermastupid

Likes Bikes
From what I know, the more less travel you go the more you can do funky things and handling over all as well.

saeed

Squid
i ride rigids for street and i love it so much, i had 80mm on my fork before and when i got rigid i had a much better feel of the bike and i like it a lot more for street. (i got dmr trailblade 2's 20mm)