Traveling from Vancouver to Brisbane with bike

Hi I will be traveling back to Brisbane with a bike I'm looking at purchasing here (specialized SX trail) and want to know what was the cheapest way people have got bikes over here for say a season at whistler or something?

I was thinking Bike box and pay extra baggage at the airport but thought there may be other better options?

Thanks

Box it and bring it as checked luggage. PRE PURCHASE EXCESS!!! If possible, it is super expensive if you arrive at the airport and they charge you at the counter. I had a quote of around $180-200 PER KG! My flights did not have the option of pre booking.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Just go with the right airline ie dont just buy the cheapest ticket some are bastards about weight eg Jetstar + others dont care as long as its properly packed + allow up to 30 or 40 kg total.

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
Check with your airline

Flying from North America, you should get two pieces of checked luggage at 50lb (23kg) each. There may be a supplement for a bike box, but probably not. The trick is to ensure that you are on the same ticket from Vancouver to Brisbane, even if you change planes in Sydney. This will ensure that you get the same luggage allowance all the way through.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Book with an airline that gives you at least 2 x 23kg bags, and will allow you to designate your bike box as one of these. Make sure if you have transfers and stop overs, particularly with partner airlines, that your ticket is still issued under the flight code and hence rules of you original/major carrier. E.g. if your main flight across to Aus is with Qantas, make sure any initial domestic/international flights in Canada and North America, and later domestic flights in Australia, have a QF flight number. It's also a good idea to carry with you documentation proving you can fly with what you've got without excess charge. We were bailed up by American Airlines in LA, who were trying to charge us extra for our bikes, even though our AA flight to Vancouver was booked as a QF flight and operated under Qantas rules.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hi I will be traveling back to Brisbane with a bike I'm looking at purchasing here (specialized SX trail) and want to know what was the cheapest way people have got bikes over here for say a season at whistler or something?

I was thinking Bike box and pay extra baggage at the airport but thought there may be other better options?

Thanks
They use the search function...it saves lots of time, avoids being ragged on by others, and reveals all the threads that already exist detailing all the ways that one can bring their bike home.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's been a while since I was over there but Giants used to cost a lot less in Aus than anywhere in North America.

Dane Van Wegen

Cannon Fodder

Thanks
Hey mate
My experience tells me that emrites is the best for flying with bikes as they have a sporting baggage allowance...sometimes it can be luck of the check in person with other airlines eg jal,qaunas....go to a travel agent and tell them your needs would be the easiest bet