Travelling on Spirit of Tas with Roof Racks

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just wondering, planing a trip in the future, was thinking of renting an SUV or something (since we sold our Ford Territory), only as wasn't sure on taking the car with roof racks.
Now I realise that I can take the car with roof racks, but not totally sure about with bikes on them, the blurb on the spirit is you can so long as you inform about height, but also thinking are they talking about high mounted rear racks.

I am assuming that they mean cars with roof racks and bikes mounted... but I'd rather hear from someone who's done it, than assume and look (more) stupid.

Car would be a Renault Clio with Thule Upriders... unless we get all organised and go buy a van to convert to semi van life camper/biker (GF is full steam ahead on that)

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
It's easy enough to get a quote online for the trip, either with or without loaded roof racks.

You are going to have measure your loaded height (they will already know the normal dimensions of your car)...and I'd be very surprised if it didn't cost a heck of a lot more loaded tall.

clockworked

Like an orange
There's a limited number of spaces without height restriction in the car hold, so they charge more for them. you can pay to play if you book early enough

LPG

likes thicc birds
If you are organised you may be able to organise to take the bikes off the roof and fit them in the car with just enough space to get the driver in to drive on the ferry. Might even be able to take them off and put them on the bike spots on the ferry.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
wow, i just checked pricing- $1000 return? changed my mid on a couple of days at derby - that is highway robbery

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
We carry vehicles with bikes upright on their roof every night. No problem.

But the price is more for reasons mentioned above.
Lots of people take the bike(s) off and stow them inside their vehicle for the crossing..... or fit a tow ball rack.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
wow, i just checked pricing- $1000 return? changed my mid on a couple of days at derby - that is highway robbery
Short notice booking?
Non standard vehicle dimensions?
Private cabin?

If your car is a regular size, and you travel on a Tuesday night in shoulder season, and don't mind a cheap seat it can be cheaper....

teK--

Eats Squid
Bikes on roof racks are OK but as mentioned there are very few spaces on the ship available for this, and so they sell out very quickly for weekends and long weekends. Plus cost a fair bit more than a car with a hitch mount even if it has like 4 bikes on it.

What we usually do is we take one Van stuff it full of bikes and gear, then a hitch mount with more bikes on it. That gets us in without the extra height cost. Everyone else flies and picks up a hire car to get the passengers off to the trails.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Short notice booking?
Non standard vehicle dimensions?
Private cabin?

If your car is a regular size, and you travel on a Tuesday night in shoulder season, and don't mind a cheap seat it can be cheaper....
regrettably no cabin, mid week 2nd week feb - std wagon with bike rack - $489 each way (2 adults) - its the passenger fares that are crazy

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I dont reckon the >2.2m costs any extra, we've done it 3 times. You just need to get in early or the extra height sells out.
Try a dummy cost up with both ><2.2m.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah we're looking at May, so looks to be ok booking wise that far out, plugging in all the details looks to be coming in unter $1K return which is OK. Was going to fly but the GF has developed some crazy aversion to flying...so

Also that's with Cabins, done the musical chairs trip, the sit in a chair trip and the have a cabin...I'll take the cabin every time from now on!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Life is short, get the cabin... Or do a day crossing.

re van life - Renault Trafic are on runout at the moment. High 20s for a new one.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are going with a group of people, it's way cheaper for one person to take a van load on the boat and others to catch a plane over.
Arrange flights so you can time it with the boat arrival, pick them up on the way through and hit the highway - or hire a small run around car for the additional passengers.

I know plenty of people that do it this way.

teK--

Eats Squid
If you are going with a group of people, it's way cheaper for one person to take a van load on the boat and others to catch a plane over.
Arrange flights so you can time it with the boat arrival, pick them up on the way through and hit the highway - or hire a small run around car for the additional passengers.

I know plenty of people that do it this way.
This and also assuming U are sailing overnight, you don't want to subject anyone unnecessarily to the horror of sleeping on a small cabin on rough seas with one or more a snoring room mates lol.

U have to wake up at like 4am if U want brekky before disembark, so there isn't really much time between boarding and bed time to hang out with your mates anyway.

Take good earplugs.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do this often , with either a camper or a caravan - total length usually around 9.5 - 10.5m
Always get a cabin !
Not negotiable , always do a night sail - you arrive mentally fresh , after a hot shower and a poo !
Wake up Jeff is at 5.30am , off the boat by 6.15 .
Drive out of Devonport , Drive for an hour or so and find a bakery / cafe . Get breakfast .
Arrive in Derby around 9am , get on shuttle . Ride ya ring off !
Or , get into St Helens , roll around local trails , book shuttle for next morning . By 9.30ish you are on the trail and smiling wide .
I’ve been going for the last 6 yrs a couple of times a year . Yes price is around $850 - $1000 depending , if you can take a camper or a trailer it’s worth it from an accomodation standpoint .

But , I did meet some Chaps from south east Melbourne who were using ‘ Dicky ‘ approx $ 850 inc of accomodation , transport of bikes from melb to tassie and he does the shuttling - you pay airfare and beer .
This is for a 3 day Adventure - you choose to destination - Derby ,, st Helens , Maydena .
Might be worth a follow up - he has all the contacts for bike rentals , accomodation , lunches etc .

Keep in mind the Tassie trails are addictive , the local councils and stakeholders really do want visitors to have a great experience .

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
I am on a trip at the moment. We took over a car/ camper and 2 bikes on roof racks. Was $2200 return for 4 adults and 1 infant. With cabin. I find the cost easy to justify when all you have to pay after that is food, some camps sites (most are free) and some shuttle passes. Although almost all places you can just use your legs ;) well worth the trip! Amazing places to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh I probably should have mentioned, we're going the other way, live in tassie, heading up to Newcaslte to do Port2Port (or die trying).

Have booked and paid, overnight cabin(never doing it without a cabin...last time we did a day sailing with a cabin, was great, stayed away from all the knuckheads and kids) with the car and bikes.

In other news I think we are picking up (and paying for) an old transit that is half set up camper, mostly so the GF can travel to Tri's around the place.