Treadmills

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Anyone know much about treadmills? I am looking to get one for the wife and I. Not bothered whether its new or second hand. I don't want to buy a piece of junk, but I don't want to spend too much either.

If anyone out there knows what to look for, or knows of a type/brand that is worth looking at, your advice would be much appreciated...

Zam

Likes Dirt
The only thing i know about treadmills is that you certainly get what you pay for, the cheap ones are absolutely rubbihs IMO, probably the best bet would be trying to get your hands on second hand commercial tread mill, another thing is they do need to be serviced regularly to keep them in good condition, many that fail seem to be neglected in the service department.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
If you happy buying second hand, there is (at least in melbourne) places that sell ex gym equipment (usually with warranties) at decent prices, you definitely want something that not an $800 rebel sport POS.

A client bought an ex gym treadmill for 2k (rrp was about 9k from memory), it was from a 'body building' orientated gym, barely been used. This is where they got it from, also I've bought a squat rack and exercise bike from them, no problems. http://www.graysfitness.com.au/treadmills.php?gclid=CJnuo___-LYCFaZKpgod9DcA6Q

Also renting is also reasonable particularly if you'd mostly use it for the winter months.

Last edited:

funkymonkey

Likes Dirt
I just bought a second hand one off eBay. $250 excellent condition. Biggest thing to look for is a wide running deck. Anything under 50cm will feel like running on a tightrope and have no tolerance for that fatigue wandering...

Don't worry too much about the bells and whistles like iPod connect etc - unless you want that kind of stuff.

Nice and solid is the way to go, there is a fair bit of force over time...