Trek Fuel EX 8 Fork and Shock Setup ?

heavyp

You heard it here first
My old man just bought a 2013 Trek Fuel EX8 it has the Fox Evolution Series 32 Float DRCV fork and the Fox DRCV rear shock.

Just curious to hear peoples thoughts and the setup on these forks and shocks.

My father weighs 67kgs and after using the chart to set the bike up he is saying that it still feels a bit stiff, I have myself heard that the forks are a bit iffy, but thats just internet chat. Its to small for myself and I weigh far more than him so I cant really help.

Any info would be greatly appreciated so I can pass the info on.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run my Remedy with DRCV f + r abit firmer than a normal fork. Just play around with the pressure, remember the Trek calculator is only a guide. I'm not a fan of DRCV for the fork, works well for the rear thou.

The new 29ers don't have DRCV in the front. Wonder if Trek are going to stop DRCV in their forks for 2014.

redbruce

Eats Squid
My old man just bought a 2013 Trek Fuel EX8 it has the Fox Evolution Series 32 Float DRCV fork and the Fox DRCV rear shock.

Just curious to hear peoples thoughts and the setup on these forks and shocks.

My father weighs 67kgs and after using the chart to set the bike up he is saying that it still feels a bit stiff, I have myself heard that the forks are a bit iffy, but thats just internet chat. Its to small for myself and I weigh far more than him so I cant really help.

Any info would be greatly appreciated so I can pass the info on.
What sag did you set it up to?

Try 30% for a plusher ride.

heavyp

You heard it here first
What sag did you set it up to?

Try 30% for a plusher ride.
Yeah fair call the guy at the shop set it up quite firm I think 25% and and about 13lb to much air in the fork for my old mans weight. Ill pass the message on. Cheers

Mun

Squid
Hi,

My experience is very similar, i found the DRCV hard to tune, i would set it up to be nice and plush for the small bump response but then found that it would dive a lot under braking or on large rock gardens. Then i would up the pressure to handle the bigger stuff and found the ride harsh everywhere else. I had the best results not worrying about the fully open setting at all and doing all my tuning on the trail setting. Also, I have been advised that changing the oil in the lowers straight up and lubing up the foam can help a lot with making them plush and more compliant.

regards

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hi,

My experience is very similar, i found the DRCV hard to tune, i would set it up to be nice and plush for the small bump response but then found that it would dive a lot under braking or on large rock gardens. Then i would up the pressure to handle the bigger stuff and found the ride harsh everywhere else. I had the best results not worrying about the fully open setting at all and doing all my tuning on the trail setting. Also, I have been advised that changing the oil in the lowers straight up and lubing up the foam can help a lot with making them plush and more compliant.

regards
They do tune differently to a non DRCV.

Initial setup should still be based on sag. If it blows through travel up the low speed compression first.

Then try a bit more pressure.

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
Trek provide a calculator on their website to give you a good starting point as to what you should be running.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/resources/suspension_setup

I have however found that the calculator sets it up to be a little too stiff, I've found just backing the rebound rate off one or two clicks solves this problem.
Just from reading about the DRCV online it seems to be that it suits lighter weight riders more, generally under 80-85kg, I weigh about 60 and love the DRCV on my EX 8, it almost gives them a bottomless feel, and i barely ever bottom out.

Hope this helps!