Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
As the first new MTB in 18 years, I knew I'd have to raise my expectations, but fuck me.

So fast, so capable.

I'm riding through things I avoided when I was 15 and fearless. I was glad I was riding solo on the first day, it was a little embarrassing. Just couldn't think fast enough to keep up with the bike and how much speed it carried through everything.

Frame - Project One Procaliber 9.8 SL
Rear shock - IsoSpeed Decoupler
Front shock/fork - Rockshox SID RL
Handlebars - Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon
Headset - FSA
Grips - ESI foam
Saddle - Montrose Elite
Seatpost - Bontrager Pro Carbon
Brakes - M8000 XT
Cranks - M8000 XT
Pedals - Crank Bros Candy 2
Front/Rear derailleur - Di2
Front/Rear shifter - Di2
Wheels - DT Swiss XMC 1200 Carbon
Tyres - Bontrager Team Issue XR4
Tubes - Not on this bike!
Total weight - 10.8 kg

Last edited:

Cardy George

^^^ What he said, and it's brilliant.

Small bump is king around here, and it soaks up rocks, roots, road surface joints, small corrugations etc.

So much so I need to get some tokens for the fork to soften that off too

Cardy George

Is it a necro post if it's your own thread?

Anyway, 36,000 km later and this thing turned into Grandpa's Axe. Bars, cranks, axles, seatpost and the Di2 system (except the RH shifter) all that were still in use out of what is pictured above. Hell, even the fork has had two dampers and a debonair negative spring put in it.

Many many adventures were had. Many sights seen, random paths explored, friends made. It was the excuse I/we needed to go to places we'd never think of going to.

Pulling it apart the other day was the worst bike experience I've ever had. Sure it was cracked and broken. But I wasn't finished with it when it was taken from me. I'm eternally grateful to the guys at Bicycle Express for making it possible to bring the frame home. It's where it belongs.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it a necro post if it's your own thread?

Anyway, 36,000 km later and this thing turned into Grandpa's Axe. Bars, cranks, axles, seatpost and the Di2 system (except the RH shifter) all that were still in use out of what is pictured above. Hell, even the fork has had two dampers and a debonair negative spring put in it.

Many many adventures were had. Many sights seen, random paths explored, friends made. It was the excuse I/we needed to go to places we'd never think of going to.

Pulling it apart the other day was the worst bike experience I've ever had. Sure it was cracked and broken. But I wasn't finished with it when it was taken from me. I'm eternally grateful to the guys at Bicycle Express for making it possible to bring the frame home. It's where it belongs.

The frame belongs in a place of honor in your shed/workshop. I have hung on the wall the frame that took me through the Andes and many other adventures before breaking. Always there to remind you and bring back the memories.