Trek Superfly 100 AL

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Gday, Im in no rush , but looking for a 29er Dually sometime over the next year , somewhere around the $3,000 mark,

Just a fairly new social rider , mostly lysterfield, sometimes you yangs , love the flowy singletrack type stuff ,

Anyway , these bikes have taken my eye , but cant seem to find a lot of neutral type feedback on them online,

just wondering if anyone has first hand experience, and how do they compare with their competitors ,for value and performance , namely giant , which is the obvious value for money stuff.

Any help appreciated . Cheers

onyabike

Likes Bikes
I have a Trek Superfly AL pro which I got at the end of 2012, I haven't ridden to many other brands so can't help you with any ride comparisons.

I originally started looking in 2011 but there was not much around then with the features I wanted until the AL pro came out. I was particularly looking for a 29er dually with 2 x 10, front & year through axles, shimano XT brakes and tubeless ready wheels. At the time other brands where offering carbon frames but sacrificed either suspension, components or wheels. My previous perception of Trek was that you paid a bit more for the brand but when I reviewed all the available options Trek was the best option for me. Added benefit was a LBS I respected sold the brand and all in all I am very happy with it as a general trail bike and 50/100k event bike.

The only thing this bike can't do is stop me from falling off,currently sporting fiberglass arm warmer while I wait for a scaphoid fracture to heal!

Just take your time work out what you want and just have a good look around, there seams to be a lot more options now coming to Aus.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Yeah the AL pro is the one I have my eye on, the 2013 models are out, and you can pick up the 2012 ones at very good prices now,

Same can be said for the Anthems I guess, but I dont want to rush a decision , I have a fairly rideable Merida Hardtail so Im not desperate ,

The Anthem seemed like the safer bet, because they are so popular, you presume they have to have a lot going for them ,which they must,

But I guess I like the idea of having something a little different to the masses , but not at the expense of getting an inferior bike , at inferior value for money.

Always good to hear first hand experience.

Feel free to offer advise on 29er Duallys you can recommend around the $3000 mark.

Cheers

Motorhead

Likes Bikes
I bought a 2012 Superfly 100 Al Pro at the start of the year & love it.
For such a fast bike it can handle itself pretty well on the trail.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gday, Im in no rush , but looking for a 29er Dually sometime over the next year , somewhere around the $3,000 mark,

Just a fairly new social rider , mostly lysterfield, sometimes you yangs , love the flowy singletrack type stuff ,

Anyway , these bikes have taken my eye , but cant seem to find a lot of neutral type feedback on them online,

just wondering if anyone has first hand experience, and how do they compare with their competitors ,for value and performance , namely giant , which is the obvious value for money stuff.

Any help appreciated . Cheers
I've got the 2012 AL 100 Elite. I've got to admit I love it to pieces. It made a dramatic difference to the pace and fun I get on trails. I'm actually quicker on it than all my other bikes (AM rig and a Carbon HT)
Only problem I had was with flaking paint on the chainstay. Trek ordered a brand new one and fitted it with no problems, it took them about 2 weeks. Definitely would recommend it; brakes, gears, handling, geo are all excellent.
The only mods I made were to change the front tyre (if you go to Lysterfield you'll know why - the place is always slippery and you need bite on the front), and some monster 800mm bars (I'm a Clyde).

Only way to know is to to try it (I bought blind!) but I reckon you'll love it for the trails you mention. Enjoy!

awin

Squid
I had this same dilemma a few months back. I knew I wanted a 29er, and was super keen on the Anthem 29er’s mainly because I like the brand, and the value for money. As I was looking at making a small investment into the bike, I wanted to make sure the bike I chose was the right one with no regrets.
The bike I was replacing was a 26” Giant Trance 2011 X3

Option 1: Giant Anthem 29er (2011 model). XT and Elixir CR brakes.
I borrowed this bike from a friend and got to ride it for a week around my local trails.
The first thing I noticed was that the seat (Fizik Tundra) was hard and flat. Once I started peddling, the bike felt good, stiff and efficient. I put the bike to the test by riding around my local trails which has some tight switchbacks, on loose, sharp, rocky surfaces. Even though the bike rolled over the rocks, it wasn’t until the 3rd ride that I started to really enjoy the bike. I worked out that I needed to ride the bike more aggressively to make it do what I wanted to do. By aggressive, I mean having to lean more forward over the handle bars and stand up whilst peddling. It felt very racey. On the faster, free flowing trails, I had full confidence on the bike and its handling.
There were a couple of things I did not like about the bike. Squeaky Elixir brakes and that hard seat.

Option 2: Trek Superfly AL 100 (2012)
I borrowed the hardtail version of this bike from the LBS and was impressed immediately with the handling. I was so impressed, that pretty much bought the FS bike a few days later.
I have had this bike for over a month now, and here is my assessment...
I am able to negotiate the tight switchbacks with precision better than the Anthem 29er and my old 26” Giant trance. I am a fan of the Shimano SLX gear. Awesome brakes and crisp gear changes. I am definitely riding faster than I did before. The seat is so much more comfortable than the Fizik. I also like the positioning of the rear shock as it’s a lot easier to flick between settings than the Giant Maestro system. The bike didn’t have to be ridden aggressively to make the most out of it (unlike the Anthem). I am a lazy rider and like to sit on my arse more than stand up.
The only things I don’t like (or wish could be better with the Trek) is:
- Weight. It was about 1 kg heavier than the Anthem
- Wheelset. The Bontrager Mustangs (or tires) have some flex in them. They don’t inspire as much confidence than the Anthem standard wheels. To be honest, the Bontrager wheelset are rubbish. Once I save some $$ I may invest in some new wheels.
- The welding of the joints is not as nice as then Anthem.
- Due to the frame shape, I need a bike adapter to fit on my towball mounted bike carrier.
- 2012 model has QR front and rear. I wish it had a thru axle. I got the 2012 model because it was on sale – 20% off RRP.
Even with the flaws listed above, for me, it came down to the fact that I wanted a bike that handles like a 26er, and to put it simply, it just felt right as soon as I rode it. I put it down to that G2 geometry. On my social rides, I sometimes swap bikes with my mates who ride the Anthem 29er and I am glad I made the right choice.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I ended up with the Rumblefish ,

Not as quick as the Superfly, but quick enough for me, more of a take anywhere bike and had more of a comfort and fun feel to me

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only things I don’t like (or wish could be better with the Trek) is:
- Weight. It was about 1 kg heavier than the Anthem
- Wheelset. The Bontrager Mustangs (or tires) have some flex in them. They don’t inspire as much confidence than the Anthem standard wheels. To be honest, the Bontrager wheelset are rubbish. Once I save some $$ I may invest in some new wheels.
- The welding of the joints is not as nice as then Anthem.
- Due to the frame shape, I need a bike adapter to fit on my towball mounted bike carrier.
- 2012 model has QR front and rear. I wish it had a thru axle.
agree with your comments about bike weight and wheel flex, these problem might be fixed by wheelset replacement. Still faster on it though, due to the handling.

Mine's a 2012 model (white and bought in January) and it has qr15 front and 142x12 rear through axle. You saying yours doesn't?

awin

Squid
agree with your comments about bike weight and wheel flex, these problem might be fixed by wheelset replacement. Still faster on it though, due to the handling.

Mine's a 2012 model (white and bought in January) and it has qr15 front and 142x12 rear through axle. You saying yours doesn't?
The weight and wheelflex was something that I could live with because it's something that can be fixed by upgrading components. I went with the notion of "buy the frame that you liked as other bits and pieces can be upgraded".

I too also feel faster on this bike due to its handling. You point where you want the bike to go... and it goes there. This is something that I did not get a good sense for in the Anthem 29er and my old 26" trance.

My 2012 model (which is an ELITE) does have a qr15 front and skewer rear through axle. I wish the front was a thru axle as available in the 2012 Pro model, or the 2013 Elite model. Having the thru axle in the front "should" help with the flex felt. (well that's what the sales people tell me anyway).