trial frame size

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
in general, are trials frames 1 size or do you get yourself a S,M,L etc? if they are sized how do you decide which size is right.

oh, i don't know if i'm talking about 20" or 26". just asking.

Thom_H

Likes Bikes
The difference in size is generally just wheelbase length. For example you can get a particular model frame in 2 different wheelbase lengths, short or long. Generally the taller people are more suited for longer wheelbases and the shorter people are more suited to the shorter wheelbases (go figure) but it also depends on your riding style.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My bike only comes as a 1075mm wheelbase this year but last year's came as a 1065 or 1085. You also need to consider bottom bracket rise when choosing a new generation trials bike, this is the height of the BB above the bikes axles. The higher the BB rise the closer your feet are to the handlebars so the bike feels shorter even though the wheelbase may be the same. BB rise can be anywhere in between 0mm to 80mm.

Thom_H

Likes Bikes
I'm afraid the pures last year only came in 1085 :(. But it did have a tad of bb rise. I would of loved to of got a 1065 though.

Rush

Likes Dirt
In addition to wheelbase and BB rise, take into account headtube angle as well.

Generally, trials bikes aim for as much standover height as possible, so when a rider is standing up on the pedals evenly, the top tube is at about ankle height.

Weird I know.

This feels so strange, explaining all this stuff to people that havent heard about it before, its really quite good. :)