Trials Cranks (stock)

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
hey, ive done a search and havent come up with much useful info.

i ride a PX zebdi and my firex cranks are kaput!, they've done me absolutley fine until now, the BB/Cranks interface has been rounded out through my own fault...not the cranks fault, i rode on it with loose crank bolts because i was too lazy to tighten them, now im paying for it.

im looking for a crankset to suit. im not too sure about cranks out there at the moment, but im thinking the HONE with a poly carb bashie, replacing the big ring. this way i get two rings to ride around, and change with my hands (like my current setup)

my other option is a trials crank like the Truvativ husslefelt trials. which is more in my budget...around $300.

two more questions. 1- does anyone have any experience with the truvativ PC bashie's as seen in Dirt works catalogue? ie are they strong enough for trials use and 2- can you get truvativ stuff in square taper still?

ASH - nice and confused

udi

swiss cheese
You should be able to get a hone setup for 300 or less easily depending on where you shop.

I'd say the external BB setup is where it's at, best idea ever.

Skip the hussfelts for sure, if you must go truvativ and/or isis, go some holzfellers. The hone's still would be cheaper anyway, and eliminates a lot of problems that the regular setups have.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd go with just a granny ring and a small bashring up the front for clearance and balance reasons.

As Naz said middleburns would be the best but I'm guessing a little out of your price range.

The husselfelts have a pretty bad name, if you want to go Truvativ I would invest a little more and get the holzfellers (sp?).

I'm going to suggest a set of Deore's with the octalink bottom bracket, for a budget solution. They are on the lighter side of Hussefelts and are nice and reliable for the price. The octalink spline wil give you enough stiffness for trials.

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
Ok, looks like shimano are the way to go for price and quality. i would love a truvative holzfeller trials crank, but cant afford one at the moment (or for a while for that matter). if i get the hone/lx or saint set up, obviously you can remove the three rings, but are there any after market bashrings that will fit in place of either the big ring or middle ring? preferably middle. or will the double saint set-up with bash ring be okay? as seen on this page- http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/c.../products/mountain_bike_components/saint.html

thanks for your help.
ASH

udi

swiss cheese
i'm missing how you can afford saint but you can't afford holzfellers. :confused:

Anyway, with a brand new pair of saint singles sitting on my desk looking pretty, I can safely say without even trying it, that this is the shit.

If you can't afford saint's go hones, same technology, and basically what everyone's been thirsting after - a trouble free BB system. They should be quite quite stiff too.

Not sure how strong the saint bashring is, but i'd assume it's strong enough. You can fit e-13 superchargers on both the saint and hone/lx too should you have any trouble.